New PC and having a 2nd user logged in is slooow in WinXP Pro SP2; why???

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
New PC and having a 2nd user logged in is slooow in WinXP Pro SP2; why???

I have a Dell 9200 with 4GB RAM (3GB visible) and an E6320 1.86Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. Needless to say, it's a fairly fast machine.

When I log in to my account and then I select SWITCH USER and my girl logs in, it's soooo sloooow. It's like molasses... what's going on??? Is there a setting that I'm missing? I've used other computers in the past with 2 users logged in and it wasn't nearly anything compared to this.

Any ideas??? I'm stumped...

Thanks!

Im going to take a stab at this..
First of all, how is the performance when they log on and theyre the only person logged on?
This is important because if there are multiple of users logged on, the ram isnt a factor (since you have 4 gigs) but the processor could be. The processor has a ton of work to do along with the HDD if there are multiple users logged on. The processor doesnt have to load another OS since its already in memory, but the startup programs for each individual could be the reason. So, what programs do they have running, especially during logon? Do they have taxing programs that kids/teenagers love to use like limewire, kazaa and such?

Also, im more than sure that you ran a scan already to be sure that your pc is virus free, right?

Im going to take a stab at this..
First of all, how is the performance when they log on and theyre the only person logged on?
This is important because if there are multiple of users logged on, the ram isnt a factor (since you have 4 gigs) but the processor could be. The processor has a ton of work to do along with the HDD if there are multiple users logged on. The processor doesnt have to load another OS since its already in memory, but the startup programs for each individual could be the reason. So, what programs do they have running, especially during logon? Do they have taxing programs that kids/teenagers love to use like limewire, kazaa and such?

Also, im more than sure that you ran a scan already to be sure that your pc is virus free, right?

Yes, virus-free. This is my girlfriend's account and it runs fine when she's the only one using it.

I do notice that Free AVG is running a scan almost every time I log into her. Hmmm... maybe it's that... but, still... with a Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM, I mean... c'mon... wtf... this sucks :(

I think that the best things that you could do to help make it run faster would be to figure out how to kill the stupid AVG scan, which does take up alot of HDD and processing power, kill anything that starts when you log her in, like IM clients and other things like that. Also, make sure you aren't running anything too intensive when you're switching... and with a fast computer like that, why don't you just log yourself out? I mean, it can't be that much slower.

Disable daily scan for AVG Free - it's pointless since it does on-demand scanning and just wastes processor/hard drive performance.

Yes, virus-free. This is my girlfriend's account and it runs fine when she's the only one using it.

I do notice that Free AVG is running a scan almost every time I log into her. Hmmm... maybe it's that... but, still... with a Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM, I mean... c'mon... wtf... this sucks :(
And thats why.. AVG i have that installed on my lab pc in my night class, so everytime i turn it on and log on, it runs a full scan. Thats what dragging your pc, because it has to access your hdd along with any other programs thats requests the hdd service.

Back