new parhelia?

i hope it surprises everyone and competes....but alas...that is only wishful thiniking. Interesting non the less

the Parhelia has been unfairly judged.

It's really designed for a different class of users, mainly those doing CAD and high-end graphics work. Much like the nVidia Quadro and ATI Fire GL based cards. It's an absolutely awesome card in those respects.

Unfortunately, Matrox's marketing made the mistake of tacking "gaming" card to it's abilities.

Damn, the link doesent work for me :( I've always liked Matrox's support for multiple monitors. Sure hope this card performs good!

Would be really nice to have another player in the field or more even. The more competition the lower the prices will be. That is why from time to time one buys the other out. That way they do not have to worry about them competing with them some day and loosing money.
So come on Matrox make us a kick butt card that will rank right with ATI and NVIDIA. Nothing could be better for every one except the card makes that is :)

Matrox really needs to play catchup since now the new nVIDIA cards have dual DVI and such.

The new Parhelia 8x is just a chip revision over the original 4x.
There are some hardware level bugs fixed, and it is clocked a little higher, but still not something for anyone who likes to brag about benchmark scores.
Still love my original Parhelia, and would like to get the updated model just for the FAA fixes...

Matrox will not be 'playing catchup' with game cards. They have openly stated that they are done chasing the gamers market. There will be no DX9 card from M. The next new chip will not come out till the next Windows/DX10. They have good sales in their niche markets, and have opted to only concentrate on those.

Originally posted by mc_P
how do you know all of this?
I have a few connections.
The Matrox Users forum that Poison mentioned... I moderate there.
My last 4 Matrox video cards where given to me by Matrox for beta testing.

actually I think 2 main players and a whole bunch of minor ones are the healthiest, its like our political party system, the minor ones will never gain major ground, but atleast they can get the major ones to adopt their issues(features). Only in the video card scenerio, the minor players never benifit. You wouldn't want the market split between too many players because each player would be too weak and the market would go to #@%@

The parhelia was an overpriced, overhyped, underperforming piece of horseshit. 512bits blablabla. nVidia and ATi owned it in the workstation arena as well as gaming.

Parhelia 2? 2x the horseshit.

The Nvidia Quadro series does perform very well in the workstation market. It is taking over big players little by little.

It will probably have ultracrisp 2D just like its earlier version. Its Matrox's claim to fame.

Although 2D quality does not make a difference with DVI-Digital, all cards have the same 2D quality when using DVI. Its when using VGA or DVI-analog that you can improve the 2D quality by using a better ramdac and better higher order filters. Its overstated a little, because honestly a good to excellent quality VGA cable will do a lot more for 2D clarity at resolutions above 1600x1200.

Back