New owner of the Audigy 2 ZS Gamer

Ghostface Killah

Limp Gawd
It was on sale at CompUSa today for 69 bucks after rebates so I went out and bought it.
Is there anything I should know before I install it?

Currently I have using the onboard sound on my MSI board which has the Sound Blaster Live 24 bit chipset in it. I should uninstall and disable all of that in the bios correct?

I'm looking at the Creative driver download site and there are three choices

1. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 and Audigy2 ZS Driver Update 1.84.55
2. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS series Beta driver with OpenAL support
3. EAX 4.0 ADVANCED HD Driver Update for Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2/Audigy 2 ZS

Which one should I install?

Thanks all

Ghostface Killah said:
It was on sale at CompUSa today for 69 bucks after rebates so I went out and bought it.
Is there anything I should know before I install it?

Currently I have using the onboard sound on my MSI board which has the Sound Blaster Live 24 bit chipset in it. I should uninstall and disable all of that in the bios correct?

I'm looking at the Creative driver download site and there are three choices

1. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 and Audigy2 ZS Driver Update 1.84.55
2. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS series Beta driver with OpenAL support
3. EAX 4.0 ADVANCED HD Driver Update for Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2/Audigy 2 ZS

Which one should I install?

Thanks all
I use the second driver on your list and then just manually installed (browse the driver cd that came with the card) EAX, Speaking Settings, and THX from the cd. That way you have the latest drivers and still the basic addons without all that extra crap. Works fine for me. I just wish my Mystique would get here :( .

Yes you must go into bios and disable onboard sound. Check the updates to see if there are any specific Audigy 2 ZS GAMER downloads. I dont think there are... but check none the less. There is a beta for Doom 3, Im pretty sure it is the second on your list. Good choice in cards.

magoo said:
Yes you must go into bios and disable onboard sound. Check the updates to see if there are any specific Audigy 2 ZS GAMER downloads. I dont think there are... but check none the less. There is a beta for Doom 3, Im pretty sure it is the second on your list. Good choice in cards.
Doom3?

So how did you guys install it? Did you first install everything from the disc it came with? Or did you download he driver from the web and install that, then install the shit from the disc that you need.

I installed the stuff fropm the disc that I wanted, there's a lot of bloat. You need the HQ, speaker settings and adjustments, and drivers. Also EAX if you like effects. The web site then updates that stuff. I tried it the other way around and it ran f_cked up. The Doom 3 stuff has to do with the D3 and expansion disc(ROE) supporting EAX 4.0. I upped the drivers to 4.0 and added the D3 1.3 patch and the game sound is real neat. Like a new game almost, IMO. You prolly could install eithe rway but I found Creative disc>>>updates to go a lot smoother. You could also install Creative and then go to their auto update thing and let it do all the work, Ive done that too.

magoo said:
I installed the stuff fropm the disc that I wanted, there's a lot of bloat. You need the HQ, speaker settings and adjustments, and drivers. Also EAX if you like effects. The web site then updates that stuff. I tried it the other way around and it ran f_cked up. The Doom 3 stuff has to do with the D3 and expansion disc(ROE) supporting EAX 4.0. I upped the drivers to 4.0 and added the D3 1.3 patch and the game sound is real neat. Like a new game almost, IMO. You prolly could install eithe rway but I found Creative disc>>>updates to go a lot smoother. You could also install Creative and then go to their auto update thing and let it do all the work, Ive done that too.
But the beta driver specifically says to uninstall all creative drivers before installing the beta. It's pointless to install from the cd first because you will have to uninstall the drivers if you want to use the beta for Doom 3. That's why if you follow my post above, you will have everything you need without the extra crap.

Moofasa~ said:
But the beta driver specifically says to uninstall all creative drivers before installing the beta. It's pointless to install from the cd first because you will have to uninstall the drivers if you want to use the beta for Doom 3. That's why if you follow my post above, you will have everything you need without the extra crap.
I'm going to do what he said unless someone says otherwise?

So once the computer detects the new sound card do I click on the Beta drivers to install?

Then after the restart what shoudl I install from the disc?

Ghostface Killah said:
So once the computer detects the new sound card do I click on the Beta drivers to install?
Yeah windows is going to be like "new hardware found", just hit cancel till it goes away. Then install the beta drivers.

Ghostface Killah said:
Then after the restart what shoudl I install from the disc?
Anything you want to. But I recommend at least Speaker Settings and EAX. I have the THX console thing too just because sometimes I forget which jack is which when I go to lan parties and the THX console reminds me where to plug in the speakers. That's just me though. But remember browse the cd and search for the individual installers (there will be like eaxsetup.exe or something in the EAX folder, etc...). Then you are done. Creative drivers without the extra crap! Best of luck.

first you install the third download, then you install the first one

wtf is so complicated

All right I got everything to work properly. so is number 3 included in number one

Anyway, I didnt install the cable that goes into the sound card to the cd drive, what is it for exactley?

Anyway, I didnt install the cable that goes into the sound card to the cd drive, what is it for exactley?
Back in the days of yore it was used for CD audio but now that data is sent to the sound card via the IDE cable so you don't need it.

Good way to have thwat answer question is to go to www.driverheaven.net and go to the Audio section. You'll see a post about Pax's New Year 2005 drivers for the audigy 2 series. Good drivers. I use them myself and improved over creatives.

Back