• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Overclockix iso coming soon

Arkaine23

Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
575
Based on the unofficial Knoppix 3.4 Cebit edition...

Features-

Live CD- run without a hard drive (need at least 128mb ram for KDE/Gnome)

Automated Folding Service (use linux client or wine)

Folding, Seti, and prime95 management scripts

memtest cheatcode (boot straight to memtest)

KDE 3.15, Gnome 2.4, fluxbox, xfce, icewm (all UI-enhanced)

Captive NTFS (write capability)

Klik (install software while running live from the CD)

Install to hard drive scripts

Apt-get package manager and synaptic GUI front-end

2.4.23 or 2.6.1 kernel

Nforce2 driver support in 2.4 kernel

Custom package list for desktop use- Openoffice 1.1, mplayer and w32codecs, ogle, opera, firebird (.7), thunderbird, bittorrent, gFTP, mldonkey, K3B, xchat, karamba, gaim, xmms, and many more...

Still in development, I hope to have it available in a few days....

This is the default KDE desktop (minus a few icons)-
http://overclockix.octeams.com/snapshot17.jpg

Here's another pic of KDE shoiwing off a karamba theme, mplayer, and the transparent menus.

http://overclockix.octeams.com/snapshot18.jpg

Here's a prototype initial bootlogo. I've got to scale it down to 16 colors still so I may use a different glow effect-

ocix---b.jpg
 
...and just as I misplaced my old CD...

I guess I'll wait a few days for the new one... this is a great way to pickup linux guys.
 
Insane pimpage to Overclockix :D
Live CDs are fantastically cool, and Overclockix is the best of em.

Can't wait to give the new one a whirl, gj Akraine.

Lata
 
As long as SAMBA is installed so EM can monitor it... ;)

Looking forward to a new version so I can put it on one of my spare machines. :)
 
You know it weatherman! Samba installed and configured with shares of the /home's and the whole filesystem by default. Doesn't work so well running live from the CD, but post-hdd-install you got a slick linux desktop with a folding@home service running, and shares just waiting for your windows box to add to EM3 for monitoring.

And if you want monitoring running from the CD, that is also not hard to accomplish. There is a feautre that will mount a windows shared drive/folder and move the folding directory over there, then fold across the network.
 
Originally posted by Arkaine23
And if you want monitoring running from the CD, that is also not hard to accomplish. There is a feautre that will mount a windows shared drive/folder and move the folding directory over there, then fold across the network.
That would work great for me. What about Dual CPU support? ;)
 
Originally posted by Arkaine23
You know it weatherman! Samba installed and configured with shares of the /home's and the whole filesystem by default. Doesn't work so well running live from the CD, but post-hdd-install you got a slick linux desktop with a folding@home service running, and shares just waiting for your windows box to add to EM3 for monitoring.

And if you want monitoring running from the CD, that is also not hard to accomplish. There is a feautre that will mount a windows shared drive/folder and move the folding directory over there, then fold across the network.

if your going to go through all that why not just boot off of lan?

overclockix is great for one or two machines, but for large farms, i think boot from lan is really where its at :D

definately going to look at this tho for some of my machines that dont support booting off of the network...

great becuase cdroms arnt always spun up, and since they are optical media they are more reliable than hd's... so good all around ;)

now... how about an overclockix iso that sets up a boot server for other machines to boot off of lan from it?

THATS what i would love to see :)
 
Overclockix's kernels have SMP support, however the folding service needs you to create a second folding directory via a script- makefold2.

Why Netfolding as an option? - Because it only takes adding a user knoppix to a windows computer and running a few commands compared to hours spent setting up an LTSP/DHCP/NFS server. Works well until you need to reboot windows.

Other options to put folding on a permanent medium instead of in ram incluide installing it to a small hard drive or using the persistent home feature on a small hard drive or usb pen.

Overclockix does have LTSP for net-booting other diskless computers, however it is best used from a machine that has it installed to a hard drive and that's setup as an NFS server for the dummy terminals to get their fold directories. Becuase without a central hdd for the server, all nodes are folding in ram so if the server went down, the progress for all machines would be lost.

As far as getting a quick-setup for diskless LTSP style farming, I'm saving that for ClusterOverclockix, which will also function as a mosix cluster.
 
You should be able to download the inital beta off my site later on tonight.

I may upgrade it to KDE 3.2 in the next couple of weeks.
 
Gotta give this a try. Any chance of including support for Find-A-Drug in your next release? I have a machine here which I'd love to get booting from CD and crunching molecules:).

Rich :¬)
 
I could add some more DC projects if they have a linux client. I might not get the scripts right the first time aroundf though for projects I'm not familiar with.
 
Originally posted by Arkaine23
Overclockix does have LTSP for net-booting other diskless computers, however it is best used from a machine that has it installed to a hard drive and that's setup as an NFS server for the dummy terminals to get their fold directories. Becuase without a central hdd for the server, all nodes are folding in ram so if the server went down, the progress for all machines would be lost.

As far as getting a quick-setup for diskless LTSP style farming, I'm saving that for ClusterOverclockix, which will also function as a mosix cluster.

i want something that i can put in a cd it sais "CLICK HERE RETARD" copies everything it needs automagically to an HD and lets machines boot from it and start folding away :)
 
Yeah, I really liked the look and feel of Overclockix but I think it would be great if there could be 1 or 2 buttons to do the automated task with putting and running it off of a harddrive. Or better documentation. :)

PS. I liked that fractal program
 
I haven't added the documentation to Overclockix 3.4 yet. Will probably do that tonight and upload a newer iso overnight.

I did add some desktop icons for instructions about mounting a samba share and for installing the OS to hard drive.

I'm still sort of a linux newbie so I can only do so much at my level of scripting expertise, but making it easy to use is something I'm working at.

As far as ClusterOverclockix as a quicksetup for diskless LTSP... I doubt I can do it in just one or two clicks of a mouse. Buit I can provide example configuration files and instructions as well as pre-configure the OS to have all the software you'd need.
 
Thanks a lot Arkaine. Your work is very appreciated. I'll check out the new iso in the next week.

-MN Scout
 
Back
Top