New Opteron 240's $50 each

yea--i might fire up the old 940mb i've had laying around for the last year--. cool deal. :cool:

definitely a dumb question from an un-informed person :eek: but it must be asked...

would this cpu work in any socket 939 motherboard?

I'm guessing "NO"

(runs and hides)

These are Socket 940's IIRC, so no they wouldn't work in a 939 board.

I'd be tempted if I could get a good deal on a dual 940 board -- would make a nice upgrade for one of my several Linux boxes.

wow, that is a good deal, too bad i just spent most of my "spending money" on ANOTHER paintball gun. lol

No, these chips require a socket 940 motherboard. These chips also require registered ECC DDR which is a bit more expensive that your ordinary run of the mill DDR. But all in all not a bad deal if you have the right hardware.

Great deal, if I didn't have an opteron box already, I'd definitely jump on this.

^^^ oh no! not that!

and since you need an 940 board anyhow the point is?

How do opertons overlock??

That wouldve been fun to build that instead of what I'm doing now....being so cheap.

Bah, fuck me, I bit. I've always wanted to build a duallie.

EDIT: $104.95 shipped for two. "Celebrate" coupon code knocked off $5. :D

Oppy said:
^^^ oh no! not that!

and since you need an 940 board anyhow the point is?

The point is there are a lot of people who think..

"Oh, I can just buy a motherboard and use my old ram"

They don't know that registered ram costs a premium over the stuff they are buying.

SJetski71 said:
definitely a dumb question from an un-informed person :eek: but it must be asked...

would this cpu work in any socket 939 motherboard?

I'm guessing "NO"

(runs and hides)

Yeah.. just cut off that extra pin.
It's all good after that.

Don't mind the strange beeping.

Hahaha don't do that. Just incase you didnt catch the saracasm, no, they are notcompatible.

i'm a newb.

i don't get the whole opteron deal .. what are they good for

what do you do with them ... good for gaming?

Malogato said:
The point is there are a lot of people who think..

"Oh, I can just buy a motherboard and use my old ram"

They don't know that registered ram costs a premium over the stuff they are buying.

And they would need to buy a socket 940 board regardless, though you are correct as someone has already asked the question :)

Now onto the premium, its only 30 to 40 dollars more so it isnt "that" big of an issue for the most part.

Shorty said:
^Server/Workstation

ok

why do server/workstations need different chips?

why do individuals need / how do individuals use - servers or workstations?

Oppy said:
And they would need to buy a socket 940 board regardless, though you are correct as someone has already asked the question :)

Now onto the premium, its only 30 to 40 dollars more so it isnt "that" big of an issue for the most part.

Your $30 to $40 difference is all relative. You could be comparing two different series of modules.. are you talking about hyperx pc3200 versus kvr-registered pc3200?

and what about 1gb modules..

it's all to be taken into consideration.

newegg

Instead of thinking of it as $30 to $40.. I like to think of it as more along the lines of "35% or more"

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=DDR&tabid=DDR+PC3200

2 GB Crucial PC3200 Registered DDR kit = $600.99. That's also "CL3" ram, btw..

4 GB = $1200!

2 gb pc3200 unbuffered DDR Kit = $319.99

1GB Registered kit = $180
1GB Unregistered kit = $138

- Like I said, it's all relative.

Just because you go dual 512s doesn't mean others do.

What's a good performance comparison for these chips. Specially how is this thing going to compare to a regular Athlon 64 or a Pentium 4. I know AMD doesn't use performance ratings on Opteron's so I'm just trying to guage if this would be an upgrade or a downgrade for my current Athlon 2200+ server. I know the memory bandwidth is considerably better on these as well, I just haven't had occasion to do much research anyways.

malicious said:
ok

You make a super sexy media server.

malicious said:
ok

It's hardforums man. What you do is you buy two maybe four to be safe. A stack of registered memory say 4GB and a couple motherboards. You then proceed to dig out those extra 200GB drives you have lying around (You have some lying around right?) and you build a dual processor machine which you proceed to install your server OS of choice on. You then build a 3 phase cooling system and overclock them to double their speed at which point you take pictures and post them on the forums showing your hardcore geek prowess. Then we proceed to comment and 1-up your post with links to other posts that have even faster overclocks while some of us lament our lack of funds to do the same or drool over your setup and post it to our website/blog. In the end you never really do anything with the machine it's just about having a ludicrisly fast machine that heats your entire house while you surf the web on it. Now buy some quick because I hear your geekiness shrinking away!

OOoops to slow, they're sold out. Now you can never prove your geek prowess and the grues will get you!

irrision said:
It's hardforums man. What you do is you buy two maybe four to be safe. A stack of registered memory say 4GB and a couple motherboards. You then proceed to dig out those extra 200GB drives you have lying around (You have some lying around right?) and you build a dual processor machine which you proceed to install your server OS of choice on. You then build a 3 phase cooling system and overclock them to double their speed at which point you take pictures and post them on the forums showing your hardcore geek prowess. Then we proceed to comment and 1-up your post with links to other posts that have even faster overclocks while some of us lament our lack of funds to do the same or drool over your setup and post it to our website/blog. In the end you never really do anything with the machine it's just about having a ludicrisly fast machine that heats your entire house while you surf the web on it. Now buy some quick because I hear your geekiness shrinking away!

yea .... i love it

Malogato said:
Your $30 to $40 difference is all relative. You could be comparing two different series of modules.. are you talking about hyperx pc3200 versus kvr-registered pc3200?

and what about 1gb modules..

it's all to be taken into consideration.

newegg

Instead of thinking of it as $30 to $40.. I like to think of it as more along the lines of "35% or more"

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=DDR&tabid=DDR+PC3200

2 GB Crucial PC3200 Registered DDR kit = $600.99. That's also "CL3" ram, btw..

4 GB = $1200!

2 gb pc3200 unbuffered DDR Kit = $319.99

1GB Registered kit = $180
1GB Unregistered kit = $138

- Like I said, it's all relative.

Just because you go dual 512s doesn't mean others do.

I thought about that after I posted, but then anyone buying 50 dollar chips isnt out to spend a whole lot on memory, though buying a motherboard might get ya:D. btw I have become a Patriot whore , their regeistered memory is fairly cheap while keeping good speeds. And they overclock to boot :)

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...e=M&Product_Code=140638&Category_Code=REG-PDP
1 gig kit ;)

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...e=M&Product_Code=140056&Category_Code=REG-PDP
thats a 2 gig stick same timings as the crucial.

now on to motherboards!!!

http://www.xpcgear.com/asusk8ndl.html $209 good price pretty good board overclocks ok.

http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=property&item=13-186-055
$209.49 2 pci-e 16x slots :) single chip only

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6790882842&category=1244 $129
no overclocking

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I Just order two, the Asus NF4 Refurb board cheifvalue AKA Newegg got free shipping, and just put together an SMP A64 rig for the board and chips for less than 300$ which is 100$ less than the X2 3800 :)

yes, but I would look at the ones made by Corsair. They run cas 2.5 and I would trust corsair more than Buffalo. But they should work fine.

If I didn't already buy an X2, I'd have built a new box around these. Opterons are so damn cool!

Back