New, official betas out - 163.11 for Vista x86/x64

IF you've got time can you confirm your actual settings in WiC and in NVidia Control Panel , I've got a [email protected] and a standard 8800GTX, can't get more than 20fps average at any resolution.

That's with max settings in WIC and 8*AF, 4*AA in the Control Panel

Well i just ran some World in Conflict benchmarks on my machine. I dual boot XP/Vista on this, so heres the nitty gritty:

1920*1200 0xAA/4xAF All settings within the game maxed as high as possible (as XP allows them to maintain consistensy). Run on a 8800GTS 640mb @ 650/950

Windows XP: 31fps benchmark - 84fps at beginning of tutorial

Windows Vista: 26fps benchmark - 63fps beginning of tutorial.

Vista and DX10 still sucking :sad:

For that resolution, it's not too bad for the frames you're getting. Yes there's still room for improvement surely. What drivers where you using btw? As all components get updates/refinements (drivers, vista, final game) You could expect at least equal DX9 performance, if not better, in the end. Also have you tried raising the AA and/or AF any? I was wondering if the performance stayed the same or got marginally higher (even the poor-port LP does this).

Try turning off Windows Vista Theme and switch to Classic... see if this helps your FPS.

Ive noticed that this seems to change some of the poor performance issues with Vista. I havent had an issues with it so far, but its possible that it will help. It helped a friend of mine gain 5-10fps, but just turning off the theme.

Would this be the same as going to the compatibility tab of a shortcut and turning off the theme there (can't remember exactly what it says, and I'm at work with no vista computers)

For that resolution, it's not too bad for the frames you're getting. Yes there's still room for improvement surely. What drivers where you using btw? As all components get updates/refinements (drivers, vista, final game) You could expect at least equal DX9 performance, if not better, in the end. Also have you tried raising the AA and/or AF any? I was wondering if the performance stayed the same or got marginally higher (even the poor-port LP does this).
New 163.11 for Vista and 162.15 for XP. AA/AF does not close the gap any, both depreciate about the same. Turning Aero off and running in Windows classic mode did nothing for performance.

HOWEVER:

Turning off DX10 rendering in Vista jumped by fps to 33, so it appears Vista equals XP (if not a little better) in DX9 rendering.

Im wondering how complete the DX10 code in Vista is... I have not done much research on this, but I also did notice that in Vista, some of my games performed poorly, after tweaking Video card settings, they improved, but I have not disabled DX10 to see if they improve.

Can you tell me where to turn this off? I have not messed around inside Vista much since I installed it about 3 months ago. Id like to run some before and after benchmarks for my own knowledge.

Go to advanced options within the game and there is a box to enable/disable DX10 rendering.

In WiC, my FPS nearly doubled when I disabled DX10 in Vista. I'm not dual booting yet so I can't compare to XP. Gotta find that damn disc....

posted some of my results in a nother thread but after 163.11 im doing 30fps in the banchmark.

1650x1080. 16xAA, 16xAF 620/900 8800GTS SLI All ingame settings maxed, DX10 rendering. Forced Alternate Frame Rendering 2.

I did notice that if you go to microsoft.com/directx and download the dxsetup it will update some files. Some games that trying to install 9c on your box might be over writing some dx10 files cause almost every time I run the setup after installing a game, it updates something.

The WIC benchamrk test appears to be pretty intense on your CPU. The 2 largest boosts I got in performance were overclocking the CPU by almost 1ghz (6fps) and Moving to SLI (6fps). Interestingly enough at stock CPU speeds (2.4) then setting the game to 2xAA, no AF and overclocking the video cards to 620/900 FPS I only went up 1 fps. From 21 to 22. Cranked up to 16xAA, 16xAF and got 21. So it seems like until you break the 3ghz barrier you are CPU limited in the game and not Video limited, if you have an 8800. I could be wrong.

Just for grins I reinstalled the latest whql drivers 15x.. FPS dropped to 12!

That's probably with SLI though, right? I doubt I'm very CPU limited with my setup.

Well i just ran some World in Conflict benchmarks on my machine. I dual boot XP/Vista on this, so heres the nitty gritty:

1920*1200 0xAA/4xAF All settings within the game maxed as high as possible (as XP allows them to maintain consistensy). Run on a 8800GTS 640mb @ 650/950

Windows XP: 31fps benchmark - 84fps at beginning of tutorial

Windows Vista: 26fps benchmark - 63fps beginning of tutorial.

Vista and DX10 still sucking :sad:

Do you have to have to separate installs of the game for this? My Vista's coming in the mail on Tuesday :).

Anyone running the new XP betas...do your nTune overclocks reset when you reboot your pc? I'm guessing I have to setup a profile to load on Windows but maybe there was an option I missed somewhere. I know they work for the entire windows session after they apply them, they just reset when I reboot.

I'm new to this new style of nVidia drivers...just got my 8800 Ultra 2 days ago. I went from a 6800gt with the old nVidia drivers that I didn't bother updating often to an x1950xt for 2 weeks until I RMA'd it for an 8800 Ultra.

under vista you have to set the clock and fan speed every time you reboot. or you can flash the bios of the card which will set the clocks forever, the third option is using rivatuner (ati tool is not very stable in vista if it works at all)

yes you would have to install the game under both vista and xp.

Guys, for WiC you need to disable Z-Feather and Shadows From Clouds to ensure that you take a fair DX9/DX10 comparison. DX9 and DX10 implement z-feather differently, and shadows from clouds only works in DX10 and will slightly affect scores.

Blue Falcon

Beat me to it, but here is a driver rundown anyway:

Lots of new beta drivers have been OFFICIALLY released over the past couple of days by nVidia, so let's round 'em up!

nVidia Forceware 162.22 for Windows Vista x86-32 (32-bit) - [DOWNLOAD @ nVidia]

nVidia Forceware 162.22 for Windows Vista x86-64 (64-bit) - [DOWNLOAD @ nVidia]

And then we have some newer specialty drivers designed to enhance DirectX 10 performance (especially in World in Conflict):

nVidia Forceware 163.11 for Windows Vista x86-32 (32-bit) - [DOWNLOAD @ nVidia]

nVidia Forceware 163.11 for Windows Vista x86-64 (64-bit) - [DOWNLOAD @ nVidia]

Aaaand lastly we have some driver lovin' for you lowly XP users as well:

nVidia Forceware 162.18 for Windows XP/2000/2K3 x86-32 (32-bit) - [DOWNLOAD @ nVidia]

I have Biostar TForce 6100-939 mobo with NVIDIA GeForce 6100, XP Pro X64. Do you have a link for updated drivers for it?

Guys, for WiC you need to disable Z-Feather and Shadows From Clouds to ensure that you take a fair DX9/DX10 comparison. DX9 and DX10 implement z-feather differently, and shadows from clouds only works in DX10 and will slightly affect scores.

Shadow clouds were off for my bechmarks. I didnt realize Z-feather was different, ill look into that.

Edit: No different in performance with/without Z-feather.

The gamma/brightness/digital vibrance changes I make don't effect full-screen games. Is there a way to fix this (Vista 64)?

Back