New oc'er looking for advice

patnmel97

Limp Gawd
As the title says I'm new and don't know where to start, there's a lot of tutorials online was looking for some direction from the H family on a good starting point

Msix470 gaming pro
Ryzen5 2600x
Ripkaw 3000 cl15

Went with msi board because I'm a budget guy who builds every few years but would like to get more involved and there bios looked more user/noob friendly. Thanks for looking

IMHO... Let it OC itself.. The new XFR/Precision Boost kinda outdoes manual overclocking in a lot of applications because the boost on a few cores exceeds what you can manually attain by overclocking. Most people average an all-core OC of 4.1-4.2ghz. But the stock turbo already goes higher than this (on a few cores only)

As a result in gaming, you get a better result often just leaving it stock and providing it with ample cooling.

For multi-threaded workloads the benefit is there, but even then it's somewhat marginal.

The 2600X is borderline already at its 'limit' when you receive it. I planned to upgrade to one actually and let it do its own thing myself.. Eventually lol.

Thanks for the reply I've been reading the same, building a new rig leaves me with my old rig to scratch the OC itch, what are some good resources, tutorials.

I5-3570k
Biostar tz77b
Corsair vengeance
2x8 ddr3 1600

Last edited:
I'd actually agree to let XFR2 do its thing for your Ryzen 5 2600X- chances are if you're a gamer, you are better off letting the processor automatically boost itself during intensive applications. If anything, you might install a better cooler :)

As for the 3570k setup, there's a lot of Z77/3570k or 3770k overclocking guides on the web if you just do a quick search. Here's an example, albeit for Asrock motherboards but the concept is the same. Bump multiplier up, adjust voltage as necessary, and perform stress testing. I'd do it slowly though 200-300MHz should be fair. Just keep in mind you definitely want an aftermarket cooler if overclocking the 3570k.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...e-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition.html

Back