* SMBus driver 4.48 (WHQL)
* NVIDIA PATA RAID driver 5.34
* NVIDIA SATA RAID driver 5.34 (WHQL)
* NVIDIA SATA IDE driver 5.34 (WHQL)
* NVIDIA RAID Application 4.82
* Installer 4.77

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp64_amd_6.66.html

Ald

What's the proper process for updating these? Uninstall old ones, reboot, then install new ones? Or can you just install these over the existing ones? The install instructions on the page are pretty useless since they talk about DISPLAY drivers and uninstalling the old ones then installing the new ones.

I guess I got a bit spoiled with the Omega display drivers and the fact that they can be installed over top of the existing ones for updates instead of the usual uninstall, reboot, install, reboot dance.

could someone please explain to me what all the things on here mean? i don't know a ton about these things yet, as i am just discovering the joy of being an uber-computer geek. i have the msi new plat sli, so is there any reason for me to use this updated driver?

thanks guys.

(also, would this help update all of the sound problems that nForce4 owners have been getting?)

when i try to install them after downloading it says the content of the package cannot be verified and aborts. i have tried downloading several times and nothing. i am downloading the xp 32 bit version.

Bleh. Oddly enough I had a premonition to set a system restore point.

Installed the driver pack minus audio. After installation it came up with a blank prompt box. Had the standard setup icon and image (the three wave thing), only had the message "1155", and an ok box. BSODs every time after getting into WinXP SP2. Unfortuantely I don't recall the error given because well, I knew I could restore.

I has just installed it over my old driver wihout uninstalling anything. Works fine so far..

At the end of the install I recieve a dialog with 1155: and an OK button. These drivers blue screens my box. Any attempt to access the network, local or internet, blue screens with an error concerning access to protected memory. Rolling back to 6.53.

I just installed the 6.66 (SMBus, IDE, and Ethernet driver) so we'll see how long this last before I get a BSOD (hopefully never ;) ) but that would be too optimistic. The installation went just fine (or at least it seemed) and I just installed it over the 6.53 version. Though, I am kinda concerned that when I went into add/remove programs and to the NVidia uninstaller, since I had previously removed the IDE Driver causing BSOD, and this time around, having it installed again, doesn't list the option to uninstall it from the add/remove panel. Mmm...

Ald

ok question: if you have the nforce4 chipset (im using asus a8n-e), does that mean that i have the nforce4 audio also and therefore should install the audio driver?

thanks

shiek said:
ok question: if you have the nforce4 chipset (im using asus a8n-e), does that mean that i have the nforce4 audio also and therefore should install the audio driver?

thanks

if you disabled the onboard audio, you can skip the driver installation

MiG29TangentBoy said:
What do you expect from version 6.66 drivers? They are inherently eeeeeevil. :D
maybe they thought it was the doom 3 edition :p

Are there actually any improvements in this driver set to upgrade from 6.53? Actually I can't install nTune with 6.53 and Asus PC Probe, anyone know why that is? (Asus A8N-SLI Premium)

Removed old drivers using driver cleaner, recieved an error saying I'm missing a boot system file *sigh*, load up my windows recovery disk and after it 'repaired' my partition kept giving me the missing file business so had to clean install windows :(
I have to re-do my entire music collection! Blast you 6.66 drivers!

I'm sticking with my nice, stable, tried and true old drivers.

i just got numb in the head and installed them on my Nforce3 250gb chipset so far there working ok. upped my 3dmark scores by 400. hope they don't give me any adverse effects later on.

Today, I went ahead and uninstalled all of 6.66 drivers since I wanted a fresh install instead of installing over the 6.53 version. The installation went smooth once again and this time, some of my uninstallers were updated (more current than the 6.66) don't ask me how that works, maybe it is taking the uninstaller from the 77.72 display drivers? Beats me... :p

So far, it has been stable, no BSOD, no random freezing (this is with IDE Driver, SMBus, and Ethernet Driver installed). I did notice an increase in network stability (especially in WoW) and now my Command Queueing on my hard drives actually work with the IDE Driver.

Ald

After installing this I have had a number of instabilities.

Virtual memory kept on going out of whack, saying pagefile to small after system reboot.

Could not get into device manager, said it was missing.

Well I have them installed and they seem fine. I installed them on top of the 7.12 drivers I was using. The new SW drivers seem a lot faster than the older ones. I have the firewall working now with specific settings only though. Otherwise it will corrupt downloads. I set the preformance profile to multimedia, the checksum offloading to disabled, and set the Active Armor to off. Pretty much any other combo I've tried with the settings I get corrupted downloads. Right now I've been connected to p2p (soulseek) for about 8 hours and it hasn't crashed. Maybe next driver update nvidia will get the other profiles working.

Beware of installing the sound drivers that are a part of the package. Most people who seemed to have to reinstall because of some 1155 message box and BSODs installed them.

Nuffsed
aka [AGA]Turbo_Ozone[tFp]

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I didn't install the audio driver as part of the package. I have a Audigy 2 Value and have realtek drivers installed already (with the realtek disabled). Oh well, 6.53 for me

I just get a BSOD a few moments after I get to the desktop in Win64.

Stickin' to the good ol' drivers that work for now.. hm.. whatever leaked version it is that I have :p

If people want to get it to work and also gain the IDE Driver functionalities (NCQ and such), I suggest you to just install IDE, SMBus (Version no change from 6.53 btw), and the ethernet driver. Just make sure you go into add/remove programs, do a full uninstall (for me, I even uninstalled display if you have a nVidia graphics card that is), restart then reinstall the 6.66 chipset drivers, reboot and lastly the graphics drivers.

I would recommend uninstalling Active Armor even if you have it installed. I have encounter random BSOD and freezing at odd times and it was all caused by that. I don't think it's worth the trouble to keep it installed. A router firewall and windows firewall works for me :p

Ald

Blah, even though I had the firewall working even on p2p it has another serious issue. There is still a big problem with it having a memory leak. I mean from startup u can watch in the task manager as your available memory just drops like a count down almost. WTF is this crap. So once again I had to uninstall and go back to windows firewall. I can't believe Nvidia doesn't acknowledge the fact that the firewall is a mess. I also can't beleive the hardware review sites seem to skip over this in their reviews of the Nforce 3/4 boards. They probly won't fix this until one of their competitors (probly Intel) makes an actual working hardware firewall :mad:.

Nuffsed
aka [AGA]Turbo_Ozone[tFp]

Nuffsed said:
Blah, even though I had the firewall working even on p2p it has another serious issue. There is still a big problem with it having a memory leak.

nVidia's firewall is horrible. In my testing throughput dropped by as much as 66% to my local server. This was in the last officical release, 6.53 IIRC. Windows firewall does not have this effect.

So far I've not seen enough comments dispelling the fear these are spawn of demons. :D I shall wait a bit.

tornadotsunamilife said:
Removed old drivers using driver cleaner, recieved an error saying I'm missing a boot system file *sigh*, load up my windows recovery disk and after it 'repaired' my partition kept giving me the missing file business so had to clean install windows :(
I have to re-do my entire music collection! Blast you 6.66 drivers!

I had the same problem. Thank god I keep all the important stuff on the non windows drive.

My computer finally froze with 6.66 after about oh... 2 days uptime, it's not bad ;) I came back from work and saw my hard drive light was solid, the same symptom as the 6.53 drivers when I had IDE driver installed. So I uninstalled everything, reinstalled 6.66 and this time with only SMBus and Ethernet drivers and see how long this will last :p

Ald

So what's the deal?

I have a an NF3-250U and I use the onboard sound under 64bit windows. Should I just ignores these for now or should I give them a shot? Are these drivers BSODing with bad sound or what?

Nope, not getting any BSOD, just encountered 1 freeze so far in about 2 days and I believe it's caused by the IDE Drivers still, though I'm now testing to see if that's what caused it. I do not advise installing the audio drivers however or the NAM stuff, but the SMBus and the Ethernet drivers should be safe. I'll let you guys know if I get any BSOD / more freezing after IDE Driver was uninstalled, otherwise, will update again once my computer has one week uptime :p

Ald

=hell - did an install (luckily a sys restore point before doing so having been burned on the last driver set) - constant reboot (after getting the 1155 OK prompt too).

Decided to do a test install using 6.66 packaged into xp sp2 install (using nlite) - with a single sata drive fresh install it blue screens between file copy and reboot - no os even installed yet -

WHQL my ass - t o quote Gary Busey -

WHQL that stands for What Hardware Quality Level ?

this in an NF4U with X2 cpu... sigh....,this kind of crap is going to make me sell it off and go back to intel.

Oh, I'd love to try a COMPLETE uninstall again, just for the sake of knowing I was thorough, but..

I think my current drivers are undead. They refuse to uninstall via add/remove programs; click on the remove button, and it begins to load the Installshield Wizard, then nothing happens.

Beautiful.

Time for a backup of the data, and a clean install.. followed by a call to MS, of course, for activation. Neh. XP Pro x64 is just as bad as trying to get everything running on Gentoo at times :p

You know.. it's kinda scary that even on the fourth generation nForce chips, these drivers are still sooo crapolicious... Think about ATi's Crossfire edition.. oh boy.. :rolleyes: Hope they don't start on the wrong foot.

Ald

Installed for the hell of it.

Version 6.66 of the nForce4 drivers...both of those are considered to be "bad" numbers.

when I do a clean install and get a blue screen before the OS install is even initalized. How this passed WHQL is beyond me.

groebuck said:
when I do a clean install and get a blue screen before the OS install is even initalized. How this passed WHQL is beyond me.

How that makes sense is beyond me...when you do a clean install you get a blue screen before the OS install is even initialized? So when you're installing XP you get a BSOD before setup launches? That's just...and what it could possibly have to do with a driver package that you install AFTER Windows is finished installing...you sure you don't mean something else?

Sorry to dig up a somewhat old thread, but I'm a newb who just installed windows and I have a question or two. First off, I'm using a SATA HDD, but I have a DVD burner and DVD-rom hooked up to IDE channel one. So, do I still need to install the IDE drivers, or are those only for IDE hard drives? Also, I don't need the sound drivers (using Audigy2 zs), so, do you think I could get by using only the less problematic portions of 6.66, or should I start off with something older? Thanks a lot for the help, I really don't want to mess with stability issues.

o wth it was this crap that was making my comp get bsods.. i thought it was my ram.. no wonder it crashes on stock settings

ashmedai said:
How that makes sense is beyond me...when you do a clean install you get a blue screen before the OS install is even initialized? So when you're installing XP you get a BSOD before setup launches? That's just...and what it could possibly have to do with a driver package that you install AFTER Windows is finished installing...you sure you don't mean something else?

Because I slipstreamed the 6.66 drivers in using nlite - upon a fresh install of XP sp2 with the nvidia drivers slipstreamed I get to the reboot sequence between copying the drivers and the inital install of windows xp...during this setup windows will use the drivers and this is where I get the BSOD...I don't with slipstreamed 6.53 drivers....

Back