New Nexus 7 July 20..anyone?

Decent short review from Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7176/nexus-7-2013-mini-review/4

It really smokes the previous generation and fixes almost every issue I ever heard anyone mention.

They address the slow storage, and storage slowdown issue. New storage is much faster out of the box and Trim is now enabled to keep it that way.

GPU puts up a good fight vs Nexus 10 and iPad 4.

Everything is just a lot better everywhere. The more I read, the better it looks.

Decent short review from Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7176/nexus-7-2013-mini-review/4

It really smokes the previous generation and fixes almost every issue I ever heard anyone mention.

They address the slow storage, and storage slowdown issue. New storage is much faster out of the box and Trim is now enabled to keep it that way.

GPU puts up a good fight vs Nexus 10 and iPad 4.

Everything is just a lot better everywhere. The more I read, the better it looks.

Excellent news about the SoC being an underclocked s600. That means that rooting these things could potentially lead to even better performance with a custom kernel. I just reserved a 16gb one from Staples. I was debating the 32gb model, but I doubt I even fill up anything close to 16gb since I'll be doing primarily streaming, browsing, and light gaming.

I want a smaller tablet, the problem is I don't need another tablet right now. I would love to buy this but I just can't justify it right now. Kind of wishing one of my tablets would break so I could justify the purchase lol. Plus I am saving up for a ps4, new tv, and I want a new video card soon.

This tablet looks really great for the price though.

My wife bought my 2012 Nexus 7. Now, to decide whether to get the 2013 now, or live off of my GS3 and X230T for a while until I break down and get the 2013.

Just picked up a 16GB model The last tablet I had was the original Transformer. I like the form factor so far. Haven't done much with it yet outside of set up. Haven't used a modern Android OS either, my last experience with it was on the original Samsung Galaxy.

So, I think I'm missing something. This thing is supposed to have some kind of HDMI video out port on it or something?

So, I think I'm missing something. This thing is supposed to have some kind of HDMI video out port on it or something?

It needs an adapter for using the USB port. Im drawing a blank on the proper name of it right now. (slamming head against desk isn't rattling it loose)

Turns out Staples isn't accepting the coupon anymore, so I just decided to order a 32gb off Amazon since I had some credit there. Unfortunately, it says it's not going to ship for 3-4 weeks. Here's to hoping that they get restocked before then.

Piece of crap with typical ASUS backlight bleed.

Okay, I'm seriously impressed with how Android still has microstutter with something as simple as swiping between app pages.

dqz7DYZ.jpg

The fuck? Taiwanese trash. I'm already weeping for whoever will actually buy an ASUS 4K screen. Have fun with two or three corners of backlight bleed.

Last edited:
Picked mine up today have the original also this thing flat out destroys it.

Not seeing any bleed and volume is nice.

Apps and games are fast and it has 5 GHz wireless which is a big plus to me.

Reading print is super easy and a big step up from the previous model which was very good.

They improved it in every way in my opinion. And you can output video from the USB port with a dongle.

Last edited:
I'm pretty impressed with mine, although I'm coming from an HP touchpad running cm9, so anything would be better. Of course I spent a whole bunch of time yesterday setting everything up, then realized I should probably unlock the bootloader and root it before going any further, so it wiped itself during the process and I got to do it again..lol.

WTF? Okay, I know my whining has already gone out of hand, but will you guys take a look at the terrible banding on the screen. It's really obvious when you change your wallpaper to the default image that was used for the first-generation Nexus 7.

This is too bad, since the build quality of the unit is very good. I mean, even the side buttons feel very solid. The rubber back is also an improvement.

WTF? Okay, I know my whining has already gone out of hand, but will you guys take a look at the terrible banding on the screen. It's really obvious when you change your wallpaper to the default image that was used for the first-generation Nexus 7.

This is too bad, since the build quality of the unit is very good. I mean, even the side buttons feel very solid. The rubber back is also an improvement.

My expectations are just way low. :D
I'll check.

Not seeing that or any light bleed sorry. I have this and my gen one nexus 7 this screen is so much nicer. Maybe you got a bad one.

I actually don't know if banding is the correct term. It looks like an image that had its bit depth reduced. I didn't realize the problem until I compared it with my Sero 7 Pro.

There is definitely banding taking place in menus with grayish gradients, though, like the settings panels.

I guess I will exchange, though I find it hard to believe there are different panels being used...

I don't see any backlight bleed on mine. Even if I jack the brightness up all the way. Not sure what you mean by banding, but I don't notice anything bad when trying out different wallpapers.

I actually don't know if banding is the correct term. It looks like an image that had its bit depth reduced. I didn't realize the problem until I compared it with my Sero 7 Pro.

There is definitely banding taking place in menus with grayish gradients, though, like the settings panels.

This has been this way since android 4.0 in the settings it's not banding there is a large thread in the android forums. It isn't the panel it's the background image used in the settings panel. There was also I certain wallpaper that made people think that was happening but others don't look that way.

I haven't seen shit for bleeding either. This screen is so much clearer than my other nexus 7 and it had a nice screen to.

There is a huge thread on light bleed at xda developers about Nexus 10. I'm sure all of the principles are the same. The most obvious change being lowering the brightness. They go much brighter than what is really required.

Just bought the 16 GB $229 @ Amazon

Linky.

Waiting.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can't wait for mine to arrive either Monday or Tuesday. Had last years model and loved it and have heard nothing but good things (except bezel) of the new one.

I checked the Nexus 7 out a BB today. Over all I found the tablet to be pretty great. Felt just as snappy as the Nexus 10. The bezel I did find to be nice while holding it in landscape, be good for a multitude of things. Not an issue, but just a matter of preference is that the screen size too small for me. For Android I would probably need to stick to at least 8 inches anyway, just felt like I was almost holding a huge phone.

I just got the new Nexus 7 and I like the display but I need to find a fine tune application to calibrate it to my liking. The display seems a little white washed to me. Another serious problem is the GPS sucks and navigation does not work. Seems like Asus stuck another crappy GPS device in the Nexus 7. Asus has had problems with their GpS on tablets before. I hope the GPS problem can be fixed with an update... I don't want to have to use an external GPS antenna to get navigation to work.

Other than the negatives I have found I think the Nexus 7 is great.

I may have to return Nexus 7 if Asus is unable to quickly correct the problem. I need navigation.

setting it up now. Looks great so far.

Be aware you may encounter a GPS issue some have Google is aware and it's something in 4.3 they are working on so don't think it's broken. Other than that I haven't seen any thing but awesomeness.

I got mine on Saturday at Best Buy very happy with it so far. Quite an upgrade from the first gen.

Will a case block the wireless charging?

General consensus is yes. Don't see the point of the wireless charging though a little bit gimmicky. This thing gets real good battery life BTW been on mine most of the day since 8am it's 10 pm and I still have 25%

Back