New NB cooler needed (warranty implications?)

Does anyone think that this will do the job on my MSI Neo 4 Platinum SLI board? There is the HORRIBLE whining noise coming from my box and I'm thinking it's either my VGA cooler or my NB cooler crapping out. I'm going to replace both to isolate the problem. And, if I find that the HDD is actually the culprit, I'm going to destroy it with a hammer. :eek:

Does replacing the NB cooler void the warranty?

I'm not interested in overclocking at all. I just want to have a computer that doesn't make me want to kick it in the face.

Thanks dudes.

You'll void your warranty if you do. Then again, overclocking voids warranties too- as long as you know what you are doing and use proper care, you'll be fine.

I look at it this way....you replace it with the zalman and enjoy the noiseless operation (just like i do, i bought one and would buy one for any mobo i own).
IF your board ever does need to be RMA'd, simply put back the old NB cooler and you are good to go.
HOWEVER if the problem comes from the use of the NB cooler, then its your fault, your problem.
imo anyway.
otherwise if the RAM goes nutty (for ex..)then it has nothing to do with the NB cooler, warranty is still A-OK.
put back the old cooler and send it in.

So will the NB cooler adequately do the job? My system temp on MSI Corecenter read anywhere between 28oC to 31oC. Will the Zalman approximate those temperatures and, if not, will it at least keep the temperature at a safe level?

Does there need to be a fan blowing on it in anyway?

Thanks.

A fan is a good idea. Then again, most CPU coolers will provide ample ventilation- anything that blows down towards the motherboard. Watercoolers, or solutions like Zalman's 9500, will require an extra fan pointed straight at the board, or blowing across it but close to the surface.

phoderpants said:
So will the NB cooler adequately do the job? My system temp on MSI Corecenter read anywhere between 28oC to 31oC. Will the Zalman approximate those temperatures and, if not, will it at least keep the temperature at a safe level?

Does there need to be a fan blowing on it in anyway?

Thanks.
Airflow would be a definite positive thing to have. Even if it is a small amount, some is better than none.
The cooler keeps my chipset at about 30C, I have a 120mm yate loon blowing air over it.

Back