New Mouse for Sandy Bridge. DPI Question.

enc0re

Limp Gawd
As my SB build approaches, it's time for picking up a new keyboard and mouse. The combination that worked best for me among all my setups was a MS Natural KB and the Intellimouse Explorer. I used those back in 1999, playing mostly Counterstrike and Quake III, where it excelled.

So I want to get back to that setup. Here's my concern: I've read that the Intellimouse Explorer doesn't work well on high resolution setups because of the low DPI (400). Is there anything to that?

FWIW, I usually play with low sensitivity since I have terrible reflexes and aiming skills.

Bonus question: my favorite joystick was also a MS product: the Sidewinder optical. Is that (or a clone thereof) still to be had?

The only time I've heard of it being a problem is when someone's using 3 or more monitors... I can't say if that's true or not, but I'm running 1080p with 500dpi (was using a 3.0 not long ago with 400) and I have no issues at all so go for it!

The low-DPI (400) of the Intellimouse becomes problematic when you start to jack up software sensitivity. Higher software sensitivity means skipped pixels. Higher DPI mice counteract this by allowing you to keep your software sensitivity lower, overall sensitivity higher, and precision higher. I roll with low sensitivity so moving across my 1920x1080 screen isn't a problem for me, but others would find it ridiculous.

Use whatever you are comfortable with. That's the only solid advice anyone can give you. Everyone has their own comfort zone when it comes to the size, shape, and sensitivity of a mouse, so you just need to give it a shot and see what you like the most.

Thanks for all the good advice so far. I'm thinking of going for the ubiquitous Razer Deathadder instead. Do I understand it correctly that it's basically an IE3.0 + switchable DPI?

The shape is very similar, but it's probably the closest you can get. Make sure you get the latest firmware from Razer's website though. the 3.5G has some tracking issues with certain pads that were supposedly fixed.

I'd say the Zowie EC 1 & EC2 is actually a bit closer to the true IE3.0 than the Deathadder in terms of the housing itself.

It also borrows a lot from the Deathadder as well though, so it's a hybrid of the best of both worlds. It's a shame I ultimately ended up not liking it overall, prefer my Tactx still.

Back