New Motherboard Failure

jstenuf

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 10, 2002
Messages
3,631
This is my fisrt system build and with my luck I have a defective motherboard. I have two questions:
How do I remove the HSfan and processor from the MB without access to the processor locking lever?
Also, assuming I can get the processor of the MB, How do I remove the processor from the HSF without damage. I am guessing it will come of as one unit.
Thanks in advance for any help.
 
You need to first remove the heatsink/fan unit. Then you will have access to the lever, which will allow you to remove the processor.
 
Originally posted by boshi
You need to first remove the heatsink/fan unit. Then you will have access to the lever, which will allow you to remove the processor.

I tried to remove it gently, but the HSf will not move unless I apply more force. I am afraid to twist it with more force.
 
You have removed the mechanism holding the heatsink on?

It must be suction locked to the processor because of the thermal grease. Try running the processor for full load for a few minutes then turn it off and try removing it again. That should loosen up the grease. Otherwise try to slide the heatsink off the processor.
 
Originally posted by boshi
You have removed the mechanism holding the heatsink on?

It must be suction locked to the processor because of the thermal grease. Try running the processor for full load for a few minutes then turn it off and try removing it again. That should loosen up the grease. Otherwise try to slide the heatsink off the processor.

Yes I have removed the locking mechanisim for the HSF. I can't power up because the MB is dead. I will try sliding it off. Thanks for the help.
 
Back
Top