New Motherboard DOA?

rgratto2

2[H]4U
EDIT: Restting the CMOS seems to have fixed it! Hooray! No LED is lit by default on this mobo when the power is connected, which differs from my old board. Thanks for stopping by.

Hello. I just picked up an i7 4770k and an Asrock Z87 from microcenter. Last night I took out my old mobo and cpu and put in the new ones. I plugged in both power connectors to the mobo, put my heatsink on, put in the ram, video card (with its power connector plugged in) and my C drive. To my dismay, when I went to turn it on, nothing happens.

When I turn on the power supply, I do not see anything light up on the board. This morning, i plugged the power supply into the old board to verify, and the LEDs on the board (power switch) do light up, indicating that the psu should be fine.

Is there anything else I should do to verify that the board is DOA? Anyone familiar with microcenter's policy on getting a replacement? I've never had to deal with a DOA mobo before :(. Thanks!

Update: My psu only has a pin 12v connector for the mobo. I plugged that in properly in accordance with the manual (along pins 1 and 5). I just tried removing the RAM and Video card just to see if i get any LEDs on the mobo, and I still do not.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by took out the old parts and put in the new ones? :confused: So, you mounted the CPU and have one stick of RAM in the proper place on your new board, and can access some kind of video output?

I'd do at least a bare-bones install as above on the MB box and see if the MB is actually DOA.

If you get nothing with the above, then you will have to return the board to the store. Keep any receipts, obviously.:D

I'm not sure what you mean by took out the old parts and put in the new ones? :confused: So, you mounted the CPU and have one stick of RAM in the proper place on your new board, and can access some kind of video output?

I'd do at least a bare-bones install as above on the MB box and see if the MB is actually DOA.

If you get nothing with the above, then you will have to return the board to the store. Keep any receipts, obviously.:D

Sorry, I guess that was kind of vague. It was just a swap of the Mobo and CPU. Kept the old heatsink (Corsair H60) and plugged in all the rest accordingly. I updated the OP with the following: Last night I took out my old mobo and cpu and put in the new ones. I plugged in both power connectors to the mobo, put my heatsink on, put in the ram, video card (with its power connector plugged in) and connected my C drive.

It was fully set up. There is no video output because the mobo doesnt turn on. No fans spin, nothing. When i plugged the mobo power cables into my old board, the LEDs light up as I would expect of the new board.

Good news everyone!! I unplugged the power and reset the CMOS. It started up! Gotta plug everything back in... testing....

Edit: Its working! Woohoo :cool:

Last edited:
Back