New Monolith In Game Video - F.E.A.R.

I agree in full. I can not wait for this game.
Do they even have any idea when this game is going to come out?

Yeah that graphics engine will probably be the best one available when it releases.

is there anywhere else to d/l this video? i hate gamespots d/l thing.

Man saw all three when they first released... This game is gonna be GOOD! I mean how can it not from the creators of NOLF? I think Im more hyped for this game then HL2 and Doom3 now...

Love the "The Ring" feeling to it... sooo scary!

Holy crap, I don't think I'm gonna play that game.

/is a big pussy when it comes to scary things

Why is it I can log in as basic member but then it still asks me to fill in my details to register as a basic member???

monolith always makes pretty good game which arent better than the main ones tho (like quake, ut, series)

they make thier own engine (lithtech engine) which was used for the NOLF games, AvP games, Blood 2, Shogo Mobile Armor, etc... Just based on thiere history the game engine will be pretty even with teh latest quake or unreal engine but not quite up to par in a few areas, the game itself will be fun, or even great but not quite up to par with latest big name games (ie doom 3 and hl2, stalker, at the time)

im still lookin forward to it, will it be better than d3, hl2, stalker? i doubt it.

KoDt said:
im still lookin forward to it, will it be better than d3, hl2, stalker? i doubt it.

This statement really depends on who you ask. Well, that and the whole fact that no one has played any one of the games you mentioned yet. Personally, I still think NOLF1 was a better single player FPS than Half-Life was. But that's just my opinion.

phobic said:
This statement really depends on who you ask. Well, that and the whole fact that no one has played any one of the games you mentioned yet. Personally, I still think NOLF1 was a better single player FPS than Half-Life was. But that's just my opinion.

and i would dissagree, i played half way though nolf 1 and got sick of it, of course its an opinon thing

the particle effects and the way things blow apart from bullets is really cool, but the game could turn into another red faction (a pretty lame fps imo, with cool geo-mod technology) actually i think it will be more fun than red faction but i wouldnt get my hopes up too much, it looks very soldier of fortune/ classic shoot em up fps, nothing too new.

the girl at teh end of teh trailer is frickin sweet tho

Anyone notice the AI? Seems pretty dam smart in the game. I love that jump kick ya get, really cool... and so is the slow motion effects, better then bullet time!

Say what you want about the Net code of most Monolith games, but they make really fun games.
To this day, Shogo is the most fun I have ever had playing a game... Not neccessarily the best game I have played..

Monolith makes some great games but they need to work on there net coding. AvP2 was a great game and some great mods where coming out for it but it was not mod friendly sadly.

Xenomaniac said:
Monolith makes some great games but they need to work on there net coding. AvP2 was a great game and some great mods where coming out for it but it was not mod friendly sadly.

Agree 100%
I could never figure out why they let their netcode remain broken. Games like Shogo had a huge following at one time and tons of people playing mp.. Those numbers kept declining due to horrible lag issues. The maps were great, the game ran well yet you couldn't keep a solid ping for more than 3 minutes.

KoDt said:
monolith always makes pretty good game which arent better than the main ones tho (like quake, ut, series)

they make thier own engine (lithtech engine) which was used for the NOLF games, AvP games, Blood 2, Shogo Mobile Armor, etc... Just based on thiere history the game engine will be pretty even with teh latest quake or unreal engine but not quite up to par in a few areas, the game itself will be fun, or even great but not quite up to par with latest big name games (ie doom 3 and hl2, stalker, at the time)

I totally disagree with you in all kinds. The gameplay has always been superior to other average fps games. The NOLF 2 engine wastly surpassed the Quake 3 engine and when it came it was the best available.

I mean NOLF was the game that took the next big step after Half Life it´s very possible this will be the same. Me I don´t think Doom 3 and Half Life 2 will have superior gameplay. To me they are underdogs really.

I am too hyped up about stalker and its gameplay.

Although this game is definatly on my list as well.

oqvist said:
I totally disagree with you in all kinds. The gameplay has always been superior to other average fps games. The NOLF 2 engine wastly surpassed the Quake 3 engine and when it came it was the best available.

I mean NOLF was the game that took the next big step after Half Life it´s very possible this will be the same. Me I don´t think Doom 3 and Half Life 2 will have superior gameplay. To me they are underdogs really.

weird, to me nolf had good but not amazing graphics, and like i said i got sick of it about half way though, it was cool just I guess if a game has realistic guns then i want it to be more realistic (counter-strike, joint ops, americas army), if its gonna be unrealistic make it like quake or unreal with super powerfull weapons and very fast paced jumping and explosions.

dont go inbetween

So I just sat there with my nose pressed to the screen for 13 minutes trying to make out whatever thing was in that tiny little box, and in my opinion, it doesn't look that scary...

I think Doom 3 will be the scariest of the summer games, just based on some stories from people that played it at QuakeCon, and videos.

So get the bigger videos insted of staring at the streaming ones... I think this game will be scarier then Doom 3 because Doom 3 is using old tricks of throwing stuff at you... its not psychological fear like F.E.A.R. and games like Silent Hill use.

But thats just me, I barely find the Resident Evil games scary anymore...

PS: You want Fear? Play System Shock 2 with the sound up and the lights off...

I got a 500 meg version of that video.. It looks sweet, the damage affects and sound seems stellar. The Physics and AI look awsome. I'm not sure how well ghosts and gunplay will intermingle. I love the idea of scary fps's. But all the ones i've play have been against monsters/aliens. such as AvP, Halflife, Far Cry etc. Putting Ghosts in a fps (I'm assuming thats what the little girl is) seems like a tough thing to pull off.. I mean can she be shot and wounded? if so that seems lame, however if she cant be injured/destroyed what is the point of her? Does she attach you? or is it just for atmosphere?

Dont get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to the game, I've watched the video several times already.

|MaguS| said:
So get the bigger videos insted of staring at the streaming ones... I think this game will be scarier then Doom 3 because Doom 3 is using old tricks of throwing stuff at you... its not psychological fear like F.E.A.R. and games like Silent Hill use.

Games like Silent Hill have yet to scare me. It's kind of hard to instill psychological fear when one's psychology consits primarily of apathy, annoyance, and contempt.

In contrast, to this day, Doom can still scare me. Granted the scares are cheesy as hell but they work. Doom has managed to scare my brother into loosing a pitifully unmasculine scream; and he was simply watching me play.

nice video .. looking forward to the game ..i dl'd the 335meg version ..was worth it

hate to be the babysitter for that little girl tho ... :eek:

Doom 3 aren´t throwing enemies at you from where did you get that idea? In fact Doom 3 will start off just like AVP games. No enemies to begin with which makes it all that much more scary ;). You won´t get serious SAM or even DOOM action that is for sure.

|MaguS| said:

I wouldn't make such pre-judgements about a game (Doom III) which isn't out yet.

exactly..you just dont know what these game will be like cause they are not out yet....the bits we have seen give an impression but are far from the whole picture...

versello said:
I wouldn't make such pre-judgements about a game (Doom III) which isn't out yet.

I made my judgement on Doom 3 based off the Leaked Alpha and the videos which all show nothing more then monsters poping out at you... Sure the Atmospere will be great, and Im not saying the game will not be good. I personally though do not find games that revolve around jump horror as scary as psychological horror.

I loved half-life. I lofed NOLF. If I had to pick the superior single player experience, I'd probably pick NOLF, but that is really based on the story and not on game mechanics. If you are the run and gun type of person who just blows through a game as fast as posisble, I could easily see half-life being a lot better game for you. At least if the scripted segments didn't drive you crazy as you waited around for them. However, half the fun stuff in NOLF was entirely voluntary, and if you missed it, the gameplay wasn't a revolutionary experience, but it hasn't been for a while.

raz-0 said:
I loved half-life. I lofed NOLF. If I had to pick the superior single player experience, I'd probably pick NOLF, but that is really based on the story and not on game mechanics. If you are the run and gun type of person who just blows through a game as fast as posisble, I could easily see half-life being a lot better game for you. At least if the scripted segments didn't drive you crazy as you waited around for them. However, half the fun stuff in NOLF was entirely voluntary, and if you missed it, the gameplay wasn't a revolutionary experience, but it hasn't been for a while.

But NOLF was quite revolutionary. Half Life bringed story NOLF bringed vehicular action, set uped pieces, varied gameplay and a bit of sneaking.

NOLF excelled in both gameplay and features. It was so fun replaying NOLF since first time I blazed through having a lot of fun but missed out on most of the dialogue.

But about DOOM 3. the last trailer have ONE monster hardly visible ;) As all previews said DOOM 3 is nothing like DOOM 1 or DOOM 2. I find it rather funny you try to judge it through an alpha ;)

|MaguS| said:
I made my judgement on Doom 3 based off the Leaked Alpha and the videos which all show nothing more then monsters poping out at you... Sure the Atmospere will be great, and Im not saying the game will not be good. I personally though do not find games that revolve around jump horror as scary as psychological horror.

Leaked alphas never represent the finished product, but I see where you are coming at.

But anyways, for all we know, the rest of F.E.A.R. could be filled with barney-singing pokemon action... just this one particular kick-ass scene was only displayed to the public.

Doom 3 looks better graphic wise and scary wise. These shadows do not even look real. The gameplay doesn't look that great either, just a standard FPS except for that kick.

I would definiatly argue DOOM 3 looks better... You have to take into account the DOOM 3 engine is ready too.

What talks against DOOM 3 gameplay wise and for F.E.A.R is simply their track record.

Monolith have always have better gameplay with their games ID is more a one hit wonder in that area with the DOOM games. Quake was more of a multiplayer success really I don´t think either of the Quake fps games would have been well regarded if it wasn´t for the graphics.

Have to say this game is by far has me more excited than any of the other previews I have scene. Not just because the graphics look fantastic because the gameplay and mood actually look interesting.

As far comparing the eye candy to D3 what struck me most about the graphics for this game is the number of objects that the physic was being applied to. What a kinetic frenzy of bullets, glass, papers, dust and other debris.

yeah the environments look very dynamic in this...will be interesting....we will just have to wait till it or a demo is out...

Also i see everyone raving about NOLF...i never played it and it looks like i missed out on something special there :(

Hopefully in the meantime someone will either a) chuck out a proper mission pack for Far Cry or b) someone wiill make a decent attempt at making a mod for it, either online in the vein of counter-strike/DoD etc that sorta thing or a single player mod....

NOLF are still on the market ;)

I found it to be very replayable something you can´t say about Half life ;)

versello said:
But anyways, for all we know, the rest of F.E.A.R. could be filled with barney-singing pokemon action... just this one particular kick-ass scene was only displayed to the public.

that would be awsome.

Back