New Monitor IPS/PLS 1080p

jkmetal

Limp Gawd
Hi Everyone

I had an accident with my Eizo Foris FS2333. LCD is cracked. Details are far, far too embarssing to repeat.

I really liked this monitor. Great in desktop use and great for PC and PS3 games. Colors/gama were very accurate and I could see all of the details of whatever I was looking at. No blacklight bleed at all to boot. The only disappointing thing was the black level & contrast. Before the Eizo I had a Dell 2412m, which I loved. ( I sold it for a 1080p screen for PS3). The dell had better contrast and black levels but worse backlight bleed. I have tried a Samsung 27 1080 VA monitor and while I loved the black level/contrast I could not get past the black crush and response time.

I can buy refurb Eizo for under $300 or I can go in a different I direction. I have conisdered the U2414h, P2714H and the Samsung S27D590P. I like the idea of a 27 1080p monitor to replace the 23 eizo. I'm not sure about the dells because of how many QA horror stories I've heard on the forums here. I can pick up the samsung at my local BB, but I m not sure if I can live with height adjustment. Any monitor I get will be doing duty as my main general use/ps3/pc gaming/movie watching device, so it has to do it all. My budget is $300 or under.

Does anyone have suggestions or experiences with the monitors listed?

I'm going to swing by BB after work and pick up the samsung. Hassel free extended return policy= no risk. I will post a short write up and some pics.

I understand that the low pixel density is a major turn off for many fellow [H] members but i had no issues when I had the 27 samsung amva panel.

Hey please post your findings! I'm also on the market for a new led gaming monitor. I'm using a Dell 23eips monitor. Ive been looking in to the Asus rog but not sure if I want to support 1440p in future games bc upgrading the gpu often...

Hey please post your findings! I'm also on the market for a new led gaming monitor. I'm using a Dell 23eips monitor. Ive been looking in to the Asus rog but not sure if I want to support 1440p in future games bc upgrading the gpu often...

Sure thing.

So, first thing first, my unit has horrific back light bleed in the lower left corner. Its going back to Best Buy either today or tomorrow.

Now on to the actual quality and function of the display. At default settings it was both super bright and super blue. After some very rough calibration (followed the settings from prad.de), the colors are more than acceptable. The black level is roughly on par with other IPS/PLS LED monitors to my eyes, if not a little better than most. The contrast is very good and a noticeable step above my old Eizo. The PLS glow is manageable when facing the monitor straight on and only slightly worse then the FS2333, mostly due to the increase in the size of the lcd panel. You will not notice it in a room with adequate lighting.

I'm sitting about 3 feet away and text/desktop use is excellent. Text is easy to read and perfectly sharp. I would not recommend sitting any closer than two and a half feet though.

Film is a mixed bag. Blu ray content looks excellent all around. Zero video noise. DVD's not so much. From three feet away there is both a lot of video noise and pixilation. Non- hd internet video (Netflix, Yoube and Hulu) also suffers from these problems. HD streaming content looks good. Most of the problems with DVD playback disappear when you sit 5 feet back.

I'm happy to report that gaming is not an issue. 1080p games are sharp and 720p content (ps3) holds up well, as long as you sit back around 4 feet. There is 4:3 mode (called automatic) available for older games. I played through a level of doom and due to the rather large dot pitch of the monitor, it was a bit blocky. The middle overdrive setting of "Faster" was acceptable in fast games. Not as fast as the eizo on "standard" (its overdrive middle setting) but more than workable. The fastest overdrive setting let to some noticeable overshoot.

Overall, I would rate it as better than the VA Samsung I tried earlier this year and not as good as my Dell 2412m and a step down from the eizo. If anyone is looking for a monitor to play HD content (1080p), this is a winner. If you are looking for something that you can use for "everything", I would go with the 24inch version of this. Samsung makes quality lcd panels, if not perfect monitors.

Well Im looking for a gaming monitor with IPS color/picture quality ? What falls in that category?

The Eizo EV2336W ([H] Thread) is the only other 1080p monitor which is semi-glossy and has a larger gamut than the 1080p AD-PLS (Samsung 360/390/590) and AH-IPS panels.

The FS2434 is just an overpriced, re-cased AH-IPS panel which is also inferior to the FS2333 and EV2336W, but it is PWM free unlike the FS2333.

Well Im looking for a gaming monitor with IPS color/picture quality ? What falls in that category?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1833742&highlight=

$400 bux for a 23 inch screen sounds a bit too much...

You were linked to my thread which contains around 8 other sub 250$ 22-24" recommendations with review links, as well as provided with many other monitor recommendations. I forgot you are one of those forum members who asks for help, ignores it but continues to ask.

Last edited:
$400 bux for a 23 inch screen sounds a bit too much...

You get what you pay for. You get eizo build quality, 5 year warranty, a remote, an additional hdmi and dvi input, far more customization/calibration options, the ability to pass hdmi sound to an external sound system or headphones, better response time, far better handling of sd content, ect. All of this is referring my eizo fs2333. With the eizo that ncx linked to you get pwm free led lighting and a little less overshoot on the standard overdrive setting, as well as a display port input.

Really do not need the all those extras you mentioned...Just looking for a step up from my current LED & maybe going the g sync route

Really do not need the all those extras you mentioned...Just looking for a step up from my current LED & maybe going the g sync route

By all means, go for the ROG swift. I was just explaining why its $150 more than comparable IPS monitors.

Would def like to buy ROG swift locally but noone seems to carry it...Its been that way for over a month now...Any idea when Bestbuy or any local electronic stores will carry them...?

Would def like to buy ROG swift locally but noone seems to carry it...Its been that way for over a month now...Any idea when Bestbuy or any local electronic stores will carry them...?

I've never seen one at a BB. Best buy usually does not carry top of the line monitors in store, as far as I have seen. I've never seen a Dell Ultrasharp in one of their stores or any of the high end asus monitors.

Maybe there are none in store but you can purchase it from bb. It would be allot easier to return there vs amazon or new egg which might charge a re stocking fee..

Maybe there are none in store but you can purchase it from bb. It would be allot easier to return there vs amazon or new egg which might charge a re stocking fee..

Yeah, I have tried to purchase the last few monitors I've had from BB due to their return policy. Man, fuck the panel lottery. This Samsung I just got just had to have back light bleed in one corner...

I hear ya just seems like they will never have more stock in...I'm not sure what best buy return policy is on monitors? Hoping it's 30 day with no re stocking fee

I hear ya just seems like they will never have more stock in...I'm not sure what best buy return policy is on monitors? Hoping it's 30 day with no re stocking fee

In store its 2 weeks, no questions asked. Online, I believe that if you purchase a best buy item (not a marketplace one) you can return it in store.

How many days do you get for online purchase from best buy to return?

I'm not sure. The information is on their website.

So I returned the 27inch and got a 24d390HL instead. 24 inch, 1080p pls. No blb. Apparently it covers a little less of the srgb spectrum, according to prad, but that could just be their unit. The contrast is awesome and dark details come through very well. This is the keeper.

It does have only one hdmi input though. I m going to need a hdmi switcher.

how is the 24d390HL ?

I like it. No back light bleed on this unit. Its a little bit bright, but that can be managed. Contrast is excellent and colors really pop. I played some far cry 3, original doom and it passed my tests. DVD, Netflix and Blu Ray all look excellent, especially due to the tighter dot pitch on this 24 (23.6) inch monitor. I don't know if it is really an upgrade over your dell e-ips. What model are you currently using?

Back