New monitor for gaming and some photo editing

Snel

Weaksauce
Hello.

I'm considering buying a new monitor to replace my Dell 2209WA. I like it a lot but I feel like upgrading since I've never had one with a higher resolution than 1680x1050.

I'm very interested in Dell U2713HM but I'm not sure if it's a good choice for gaming? I have never had any problems with my 2209WA with a response rate of 6ms.
I have also read that there seems to be a lot of problems with backlight bleeding and such with the U2713HM.

I would really appreciate some tips on good monitors if you're not recommending this one.
It doesn't have to be a 27" and I guess 2560x1440 could make some games pretty hard to run for my GTX580.

The GTX580 will run games at that resolution. I play games on the U2713HM and I'm very satisfied with the general lack of input lag and ghosting. It's not the perfect monitor for gaming when compared to some dedicated gaming monitors out there, but considering the phenomenal image quality, I'd consider the compromise worth it unless you're a pro gamer.

About the Dell quality control problems, you'll have to decide that yourself. Dell has an excellent return policy so you can always count on that. My monitor came near perfect but as you've read here it is not always so. I'd say if you get image retention and buzzing you should immediately exchange it; cross hatching and some minorish BLB, you should sleep on that first before packing it up.

Eizo Foris 23" 1920x1080 $425.00. 10-bit lut. HW calibration capable. Dirt cheap for an Eizo. It is the fastest IPS 60Hz you can buy with almost zero input lag. Colors are amazing with Semi-gloss AG. You wont have GPU issues but it may not be enough of a res upgrade. If you want photo and gaming and can deal with 1080p/ sRGB nothing is better right now at any price.

Back