New monitor choices

Scintir

Limp Gawd
Hello my [H] brethren. I have had the desire to upgrade to a larger monitor for some time and I think I might finally do it. I am currently running a 20in widescreen LCD acer monitor and it has been good to me for a while (sporting a decent resolution of 1650 X 1050) but I now really want a larger monitor, all this extra desk space is just getting to me ;).

Anyways, I see two current choices for a monitor. I have been looking at two choices from Hanns G monitors at 28inchs (why 28 you say, well I am on a budget and I want the biggest I can get for the price :D). Anyways, I see their resolution is 1920 X 1200, which I guess isn't bad, but when compared to a 30in monitor (2 inches more -_-) they get a whole 2560 X 1600, but they are also around the $1k mark, which is why I can't do that sadly. Anyways, I wanted to know between these two Hanns G models, which would you guys recommend?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254036

One is 28in and the other is 27.5 with X-Celerate (marketing trick or does it actually provide some better quality colors?)

Anyways, the price difference isn't too large but I would like to know if the X-Celerate is really worth the extra cash?

If anyone has a better choice for a 28in monitor that is $400 or below, please inform me. I just want the largest damn monitor with good quality for the cheapest price, like all other consumers :p.

I've been looking at these myself. But the fact that they are so cheap when compared to the 30" ones makes me wonder if it's because their not the biggest you can get at 30" or if they cheaped out with the screen.

But the fact that they are so cheap when compared to the 30" ones makes me wonder if it's because their not the biggest you can get at 30" or if they cheaped out with the screen.

because 30" has a lot more pixels (about double). 30" 2560x1600 is still in expensive land.

Yup, that is the reason. I would go for a 30in but I just can't afford it. Those things are always over 1k pretty much and sure it is double the resolution but I just have one 4870 as well and I would have to say going to such a large resolution that I would feel more comfortable with at least crossfiring 4870s. I think moving just from a 20in 1650 X 1050 to a 28in 1950 X 1200 would really be a nice step up.

My main concern is that they are cheap and that a decent amount of people complain about either DOA, bad warranty service, HDMI output not always working, and TVs dieing after short periods (few months). I also am a bit curious as to the X-celerate technology and if it really works, if so I might not mind spending the extra cash for it.

If the monitor does break then I can just go back to this one and RMA so that DOA and HDMI output breaking isn't TOO worrisome.

Hm, I just checked that site and it is pretty awesome. I compared that with my current and I do see the lag on the hanns is much better but I just don't know if the X-celerate is worth it. Thanks for the comments and this is pushing me more towards the X-celerate and Hanns G monitors :D.

Hm, I just checked that site and it is pretty awesome. I compared that with my current and I do see the lag on the hanns is much better but I just don't know if the X-celerate is worth it. Thanks for the comments and this is pushing me more towards the X-celerate and Hanns G monitors :D.

hey looking at both monitors myself.

Which one did you ultimately choose to get?

I would look at Acer over Hans G

I've sold literally thousands of Acer displays at work, and I've had maybe 4-5 come back with problems, on the flip side no one has ever liked the Hans G that they have bought.

Given they were used in a business setting but still.

Another reason why 30" LCD monitors are expensive is because there are no 30" LCD panels based on the cheaper TN technology.

Another reason why 30" LCD monitors are expensive is because there are no 30" LCD panels based on the cheaper TN technology.

My 26" was bad enough with TN (returned it too), can you imagine a 30" TN panel? You'd have to sit 10 feet back, or move your head around to actually see each part of the screen to due poor viewing angles. TN for speed only makes some sense for smaller panels...

Heh, I currently own an Acer AL2016W (wide screen 20 in) and it is good an all, but it is time for a larger monitor =D. The button on my Acer is the only problem, but I really want a size increase and for this one to be a back-up. I would stick with Acer but they don't make a cheap or even a nice 28in, or at least they don't sell any on the egg.

It looks like I may be buying it today and ultimately I am going to go with the X-celerate one I think. It is suppose to help the colors and I guess overall it is just a little more expensive so it seems that is the one I will end up with. I will do some more research before I buy but I can only say it is pointing me towards the X-celerate screen.

Oh also, I when I do buy I will try to tell you guys how it is. I don't necessarily know a lot about monitors but I can tell you my initial ideas and what I can tell is good and bad about it.

Have you considered the Asus VW266H? It's a 26" TN -- 1920 x 1200 rez, but fairly high quality. As another poster mentioned, when dealing with TN panels, you really don't want much larger than 26" when sitting < 4' away. In fact, 24" for TNs is the ideal size IMO.

No offense, but I wouldn't walk...I'd run away...as fast as possible from anything made by Hanns G.

Heh, I currently own an Acer AL2016W (wide screen 20 in) and it is good an all, but it is time for a larger monitor =D. The button on my Acer is the only problem, but I really want a size increase and for this one to be a back-up. I would stick with Acer but they don't make a cheap or even a nice 28in, or at least they don't sell any on the egg.

It looks like I may be buying it today and ultimately I am going to go with the X-celerate one I think. It is suppose to help the colors and I guess overall it is just a little more expensive so it seems that is the one I will end up with. I will do some more research before I buy but I can only say it is pointing me towards the X-celerate screen.

there is more than the egg you know.
Try sites like PC Connection. or maybe CDW They should have some other options that the egg does not.

Ya, I checked other sites but pretty much every one I know or at least know I can trust without being completely ripped off are usually pretty bad with prices. Thanks for the other site suggestions, I will check them out.

What about this?

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1657391

I can stick with Acer, the response is a little slower but it is the same as my current Acer. This is Acer as well and has a higher resolution (2048 x 1152)

There is also this:
http://computers.pricegrabber.com/flat-panel-lcd-monitors/m/54962201/st=product/sv=title/

What do you all think? I can't seem to find any other ones in the range that I am looking, so if anyone knows more sites I would appreciate it.

edit: Oh, never mind, I didn't know INC was apart of Hanns G. I know we have INC at work and they are just fine.

You know what, I think I may get a better response if I just tell everyone what I am looking for.

I would like the biggest monitor with at least decent quality. I am willing to spend up to $450 or so (can be a tiny bit higher I guess) for a monitor. I also want a monitor that is at least 26in large as well.

Sorry to jump back and fourth but I just spent a few hours searching and there are sooo many choices :confused:.....

Back