New monitor advice, Z321QU vs PG279Q?

AstroCat

Limp Gawd
Anyone get a new monitor lately?

I am coming from this: Acer XB270H 27-inch
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270H-.../B00NUCRBCU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

And, testing out: Acer Predator Z321QU 31.5-inch
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...49883&sr=1-1&keywords=Acer+Predator+Z1+Z321QU

and: Asus PG279Q 27"
https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-Displ...6349910&sr=1-1&keywords=Asus+ROG+Swift+PG279Q

Costs for both are $599 at the local Microcenter so no difference there.

It's 27" IPS vs 31.5 curved VA basically. Both have advantages and disadvantages, I know neither are gonna be perfect.

The IPS has amazing colors, and I swapped a couple units to get one with minimal backlight bleed, but of course it still has the IPS glow in the corners a little bit.

The VA is big but has some yellowing on pure white backgrounds on the right curve, a known thing. The curve is much cooler than I thought and the size is silly immersive but the response time is a little slower than IPS in "real life" and the colors aren't quite as good, but the contrast/black level is very good. There is a bit more motion blur with the VA as well.

It comes down to color/response vs contrast/curved size on the plus sides and IPS glow/contrast vs white color uniformity/motion blur on the negative.

I keep going back and forth and then there is the LG 32GK850G to consider but they are sold out at the local Fry's so I can't try it out.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
hubs and I went IPS two? years ago and will never go back. I'm not a curved monitor fan at all. I would recommend sitting at one for a bit @ Microcenter - or - be open to a return once you find out its not for you.

not trying to make things hard on you but between him and I we have 5
LG 27UD58-B and are very happy with them

Yeah I've got both the IPS and VA at the house now, keep swapping them out back and forth, 2 monitors enter 1 monitor stays!

The Asus IPS, now that I got one with the "normal" amount of IPS corner glow is totally fine and would be a good solid monitor at 27". The first one had a "broken" amount of light bleed on top of the normal glow, it was bad by any standard, luckily the second one I swapped for is way more normal and on the better side of what I've seen posted online.

The Acer big VA is just fun, it's big and the curve is not an issue for me, I thought it would be but for some reason I can't quite place I actually kind of like it, odd. The right side slight yellow splotch on pure white backgrounds is there but it's not something you can see very often since all white is very rare and the effect is subtle. But the motion blur is a bit of a bother, it's definitely there and not as crisp as the IPS, and neither are as good as my older 1080p TN.

What I want is the 31.5 with an IPS panel AND Gsync... but not at 4k, only 2k so I can actually get good frames with all the "bells and whistles" turned on. Doesn't exist I don't think?

Last edited:
I’m sure 2k exists. Though with my 2080ti I have no issues with 4k@60 using the monitors referenced.

If I play BFV with everything on inc. RT I get over 60fps but I've seen the 50s at 1440. In Assassin Creed Odyssey I stay above 60 (usually in the 70s- low 90s), but not by much at full graphics. This is with a [email protected] and a XC Ultra 2080 ti. So at 4k I'd have to lower the graphics quality and that is no go for me. So 1440 is my top line, it's one of the reasons I hung on to the 1080p for so long, I wanted all the graphic fidelity and frames well above 60 for smooth motion gameplay.

Finally with the 2080 ti XC ultra I can move up to 1440, just having a hard time finding the "perfect" monitor upgrade. :) It's coming down to the classic size vs image quality.

Last edited:
not trying to make things hard on you but between him and I we have 5
LG 27UD58-B and are very happy with them

Oh man, if only G-Sync monitors didn't hose us with their $100 license (or whatever it is that makes them crazy expensive). I'm already an nVidia fan though (GTX-1080ti), and am likely to stay. {grumble, grumble, kicks cat...}

*Any* idea on a G-Sync monitor similar to the FreeSync LG you mention above? It seems like an awesome price if it's able to keep motion blur down somewhat.

Last edited:
Ordered the LG 32GK850G, gonna try it out as well. I really love the size of the Z321QU but I'm not convinced it's the best image/motion quality option. Especially after going back and forth with the Asus.
So we'll see by the weekend it'll be either the Acer, Asus or LG!

I got the 32GK850G and so far not bad, to me at least the colors, glow and contrast are all better than the Acer Z321QU for whatever the reasons. The motion blur panning the camera in games such as AC:Odyssey is better as well.

Compared to the Asus PG279Q, other than the size difference the main things are color is still better on the Asus but not a huge difference like it was with the Acer. And, the motion blur panning the camera was less bothersome. Of course the pixel density on the Asus is better so text, and images overall are sharper and more defined.

But I am very seriously considering keeping the LG. Probably the most bothersome thing is the panning blur, I think some of the more perceived motion blur on the LG is also just straight up because it is so much bigger and in your face. The contrast and blacks are awesome and the colors are impressive, still a nice step up from my older Acer 1080p TN 27". And, the big size is super straight up fun, I got it about 28" back from my eyes, but I'm still experimenting a little sliding it back and forth.

Back