New Moderator

Just make sure you use your powers for good.

Not eeeeeeeeevil.

;)

Aha, so this is what you're moderating! Congrats on the new job.

Remember, all things in moderation. Get it? Moderation? Ha-ha!

Please don't ban me. :p

unhappy_mage said:
Aha, so this is what you're moderating! Congrats on the new job.

Remember, all things in moderation. Get it? Moderation? Ha-ha!

Please don't ban me. :p

Hmmmmm.....banned huh.....I'll keep that for K* ;)

Thanks mage.

Do power supplies really, really make a differance in overclocking?

marty9876 said:
Do power supplies really, really make a differance in overclocking?

I have a trout around here if you aren't being serious....but yes...yes they do.

Spectre said:
I have a trout around here if you aren't being serious....but yes...yes they do.
Well 1. how the well would you know. You mail me p2's....

ASUS P4800 think. Intel 3.2 Presscot.

Some mostly cheapo PSU 300-350 watt PSU OC's to about 3.6-3.7 stable.

I then hooked 2 of these PSU's to the MB, same basic result.

I then hooked a cheaper ($40) PSU directly to the MB with the other PSU still hooked up, same basic result.

Question is if I get a spendy one ($80-$120) is it really gonna OC higher? Just a touch, or alot? I kinda had it @ 3.8, just not 100% stable. 3.6 100% stable. I want 4+, and on air too.... I'm just thinking a better PSU won't get me 500 mzh, will it? Yea, yea, never know with OC'ing.

Ohh, BTW congrats. I guess they don't read other forums around here huh?

marty9876 said:
Well 1. how the well would you know. You mail me p2's....

ASUS P4800 think. Intel 3.2 Presscot.

Some mostly cheapo PSU 300-350 watt PSU OC's to about 3.6-3.7 stable.

I then hooked 2 of these PSU's to the MB, same basic result.

I then hooked a cheaper ($40) PSU directly to the MB with the other PSU still hooked up, same basic result.

Question is if I get a spendy one ($80-$120) is it really gonna OC higher? Just a touch, or alot? I kinda had it @ 3.8, just not 100% stable. 3.6 100% stable. I want 4+, and on air too.... I'm just thinking a better PSU won't get me 500 mzh, will it? Yea, yea, never know with OC'ing.

Gaurenteed get more no. But a PSU with tight regulation will give better headroom. Especially one with adjustable pots so you can turn up the voltage as the draw goes up to keep the power supply in spec. I will go hunting but I have a bookmark on this exact topic. A better PSU might very well stablize that 3.8 if it is a power issue.....but the VRM's and the rest of the mobo will be a big part of that.

Ohh, BTW congrats.

Thanks.

Back