New mobo..Same CPU, suggestions/advice on transfer?

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hey All,

I recently ordered a DFI LANparty nf4 board and am going to be transfering my 3000+ 939 over into it.

This is the first transfer I have done and I am wanting some advice and suggestions. When I get the CPU out of my K8N, what should I do about the thermal paste? I currently have AS5 on there now, but I was wondering if I should clean the CPU off first before I put it in the DFI or if it would be fine with the old AS5 on it? What is the situation here? I also heard that AS5 can be hard to get off the HSF. Will I have problems pulling the HSF off the top of my CPU?

Also, with just changing out mobos and a new vid card(7800GT), do you think Windows will boot after the new install or will I have to reformat?? I would reformat regardless, but I am just curious and will let me know if I should backup stuff before I do the transfer.

Any other advice you can give me would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

-fro

I would clean the old AS5 off and apply it again during the swap. I've personally never had problems with an HSF pulling the CPU out of the socket, but if you're worried about it, twist it slightly to either side before lifting it off.
If you want to avoid having to reformat, and avoid problems booting into windows after the swap, uninstall all of the motherboard and video drivers before you do the swap. You should still reformat though.

RavenD said:
I would clean the old AS5 off and apply it again during the swap. I've personally never had problems with an HSF pulling the CPU out of the socket, but if you're worried about it, twist it slightly to either side before lifting it off.
If you want to avoid having to reformat, and avoid problems booting into windows after the swap, uninstall all of the motherboard and video drivers before you do the swap. You should still reformat though.

cool, thanks for the advice.

Clean the IHS with rubbing alcohol, and if you plan on reusing the HSF clean it too.
I highly recommend reformatting because Windows doesn't like changes.

I have had the HSF pull the CPU out of the socket, stupid move, but tought me a lesson. Took several hours to recover 20 bent pins. It was a nightmare to see my brand new CPU have 3 or 4 rows of bent pins. word of advice is to twist the hsf off first. I would then clean the heatspreader and reapply thermal paste. I guess there is no harm and trying to boot into windows after but i would put money on it that windows will just throw up. And even if it does work, a clean windows install will be much smoother.

run the old system for a few min to let it warm up before taking off the hs&fan.

i haven't had many problems with the amd's but on the old s478s it was super easy to bend the pins.

let the old system warm up then twist the heatsink a little bit before trying to remove it--this has worked well for me. :cool:

Back