New mobo for Q9450+Xfire

InfernalMachine

Limp Gawd
I believe my mobo as died (no post beeps, USB ports won't power gear, etc) PSU seems fine as everything turns on, spins up, etc.

My dilemma is I cannot find a MOBO that supports the Q9450 AND Xfire (still using Dual 4870s) anywhere they're out of stock and I am not really wanting to shell out for a new system right now at the end of the most recent product lifecycle(s) and the fact that I rarely PC game right now. I'm using my M11x for most of my net/work items, which is fine for now (though I cannot get the resolution right with my monitor)...

Are there any X58 boards that support this chip? Any mobo recommendations on the cheap?

EDIT: I found this: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P P45 (and I can buy it local +rebate at Fry's.

Would I just be better off upgrading? =(

Last edited:
RMA that mobo?
well to upgrade, you will need a new LGA1136 mobo / i5 or i7 CPU and you can use everything else you have, or if you want to go LGA1336 you well need another stick of RAM for tri-channel.

OK, bleh.

I started breaking down my rig to swap out a new mobo, upon taking it out I see that one tie/clamp of four on the CPU cooler was NOT 100% secured...thermal paste was 100% dry and partial on the cooler and cpu...so fried CPU, potentially.

After a bit of fiddling with a new mobo, same PSU/CPU/cooler/new paste, I was able to boot to the initial Bios screen, no beeps, no power to the keyboard and mouse...Keyboard and mouse (that I am using right now w/my laptop) would not light up.

Video cards ran HOT, much hotter than normal (100% open air cooling as I didn't piece this all together in case as I swapping out gear), CPU heatsink was cool to the touch.

So, either the CPU is fried and post is being stopped short to not allow power to the rest of the system or the PSU is fried (not enough power to USB ports for mouse and keyboard) and causing the cards to run hot...

So my next plan (seeking advice here) is to:

Get a new mobo that supports i7 and is backwards compatible with my Q9450 (and a new cooler for the Q9450) (to ensure I can upgrade and build new/up to date).; as well as SLIX-fire compatible so I can continue to use my dual 4870s until I need DX11+ and keep costs low then move to the nvidia camp (thinking this: MSI Eclipse SLI Intel X58 Socket 1366). Use existing ram (dual channel) and if I hae to build new buy triple...

A new PSU to test out my OLD setup to see if that was the issue as well as have sufficient power to the new rig if needs be.

Am I missing any other options? Again I am trying to avoid a total new build but I think I'm looking at one without hardware to test.

Or just build an i7 920/930/ASUS P6X58D/GTX470 (or dual 460s) rig...

Last edited:
http://www.directron.com/lga775mb.html

has some in stock.

Get a new mobo that supports i7 and is backwards compatible with my Q9450

it doesn't exist, it is a different socket, either you buy a new motherboard for your current parts, or you replace the motherboard / cpu and ram.

a bad PSu shouldnt make the cards run hot, hot cards = bar air flow to the cards, open case is not always better because you don't get proper case pressure.

http://www.directron.com/lga775mb.html

has some in stock.

it doesn't exist, it is a different socket, either you buy a new motherboard for your current parts, or you replace the motherboard / cpu and ram.

a bad PSu shouldnt make the cards run hot, hot cards = bar air flow to the cards, open case is not always better because you don't get proper case pressure.

I had a chance to try a different LGA775 mobo over the weekend with negative results, it would power up (HDDs and vid cards too) but wouldn't post, tho I was able to get to a mobo screen that would allow me to enter the bios had I been able to get power to my keyboard and mouse. I'm guessing the CPU is fried (seeing as the heatsink wasn't firmly attached upon inspection).

If I have to replace the CPU, I'd be better off upgrading I think.

Last edited:
Back