New Mini ITX Build

[Ion]

[H]ard DCOTM February 2024
I just ordered the Silverstone Sugo SG05-B and the Zotac GF9300 ITX WiFi, both of which should be here Monday. I'll be using my Q9400, WD Caviar Green 500GB, and 4GB of Corsair DDR2 800. I'll update this thread with lots of pics whenever everything arrives.

Last edited:
I just saw your previous thread... is it safe to assume that you've stuck to the script?

Mostly. I ended up giving the 200GB WD to a friend, so I had to pick up a new disk. I opted for the WD Caviar Blue 500GB as it was on sale for $50 at TigerDirect. I ended up getting a Q9400 (same price as E8400 and Q8200 at TD, and I thought that since the extra cores only came with a small increase in power draw I would pick up a quad as I plan on keeping this system a while), and I sold the second GSO, so I'll probably be picking up a 9600GT Refurb off of Newegg, or maybe a refurb/open box 9800GT. So far I haven't picked up a heatsink, but I'll probably either get the GeminII (S) or big Shuriken, depending on when it comes out (I like that it gives the option of a full-size PSU)

Well, the order ended up getting delayed at Newegg, so it looks like things won't be here until Thursday (I promise I'll get lots of pics then though)

PICS!!!
hrydci.jpg

24l7t47.jpg

sm3xnd.jpg

Too many cables :(
s1rin9.jpg

Again, more cables than needed.
2upfuhy.jpg

Power supply. Reasonably heavy, so probably decent quality
dbpb4l.jpg

Front. Fan is very quiet, inaudible over my 120mm Xigmatek fan on the CPU heatsink.
2mx4e44.jpg

Everything removed. Case isn't as sturdy at this point as I would have liked it to be.

More pictures later :)

More pics :)
2wr0qcp.jpg

The board. So tiny!
24edmo0.jpg

The board again
wvae4p.jpg

CPU and memory installed
wa6n40.jpg

Test boot successful. I broke the mounting for the stock heatsink (knocked it off the desk), so the heatsink is currently attached with zip ties, and there is a 120mm Xigmatek fan sitting on top of it, the MCP heatsink, and the RAM. Surprisingly, the temps are only around 55-60 running WCG.
o70j.jpg

Everything assembled. Sorry I didn't get any pics of the actual assembly process, I was to excited.
bjd6k3.jpg

All of the extra cables are stashed where the optical drive would go, out of the airflow.
2ajp6r4.jpg

A shot of my craptastic CPU cooling system ;)
I have hooked up the front panel connections, just after the pic.
Hopefully I'll be ordering a GeminII to replace the current cooler.

Ordered a GeminII last night, should be here some time next week. The current system is actually working better than expected, temps haven't gone above 60c once even at full load (WCG)

Are you just using onboard gpu?

For now, yes, but I'll be picking up a 9500gt/9600GSO 512mb (the 96sp Asus one) reasonably soon. I haven't tried any games yet, but with the memory size set to 256 it is more than enough for Aero.

Nice, tight build. First time I have seen anyone build in that enclosure with room to spare :)

Nice, tight build. First time I have seen anyone build in that enclosure with room to spare :)

Thanks! It'll probably get a lot more crowded though once the GeminII I ordered arrives and I choose a graphics card for it. Currently, it's almost silent, the loudest thing is the Xigmatek fan over the CPU/NB heatsinks (which I will definitely be eliminating when the GeminII comes)

should place active cooling on the nb , i wish i had done this . now i will have to find out if i can place a fan close by to cool it better

Jen

When you had the power supply removed from the case, how much room was there between the motherboard and the top of the case?

Great build so far, looking forward to more progress

should place active cooling on the nb , i wish i had done this . now i will have to find out if i can place a fan close by to cool it better

Jen
Yeah, it really helps, it brought the GPU/NB idle temperatures down by 10C (mid 50s to lower 40s).

When you had the power supply removed from the case, how much room was there between the motherboard and the top of the case?

Great build so far, looking forward to more progress

I didn't measure it then, but I can measure it later if you want.

OK, so I took some measurements, and with the power supply removed there is 165 mm for the CPU heatsink. However, at this point you may have to worry about a taller CPU cooler running into the hard drive bays

I am thinking about using a picopsu PW-200-V and cool the processor with a Thermalright HR-01+. The power supply should also allow me to use a 4770 as graphics, or whatever draws similar power with the next generation of cards. I am also thinking of replacing the front fan with a scythe gentle typhoon and modding in a 92mm gentle typhoon to the back panel. The fans would be undervolted, so basically it would be a small super quiet light gaming rig.

I am thinking about using a picopsu PW-200-V and cool the processor with a Thermalright HR-01+. The power supply should also allow me to use a 4770 as graphics, or whatever draws similar power with the next generation of cards. I am also thinking of replacing the front fan with a scythe gentle typhoon and modding in a 92mm gentle typhoon to the back panel. The fans would be undervolted, so basically it would be a small super quiet light gaming rig.
That 200w is really gonna push atleast one hdd, cpu, vid card, fans, and a dvd drive?

What do you think the computer would draw with these specs?
Zotac 9300
Intel 5200
4gb DDR2
XFX 4770
Slim DVD
Samsung F3 500gb
OCZ Agility 60gb
120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon
92mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon

I am thinking that the 92mm is not needed and that the 120mm could be put in the back of the case... I am also thinking that if the 4770 is too high of wattage that I could get away with a 4670 instead...

Thoughts?

Back