New Mini ITX Build - Advice Please :)

Hey guys, Initially I wanted to buy the ncases m1 but its been delayed for too long so I want to build a system in an SG06 and then potentially transfer it into a m1 when its released. The intended use of this system ranges from gaming (at 1080p for now possibly 1440p in the future) and programming to everyday surfing and word processing. Furthermore I will be doing a lot of air travel with the case in my hand luggage.

Case: Silverstone SUGO SG06 (135chf including PSU)
PSU: The one thats shipped with the sg06, 450w sfx.
GPU: GAINWARD GeForce GTX 780 (665 chf)
CPU: Core i5-4670K (247.00 chf)
Motherboard: ASROCK Z87E-ITX, Intel Z87 (182 chf)
RAM: KINGSTON HyperX Beast DDR3 16gb at 2133 mhz (162 chf)
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series SSD, 256GB (236 chf)
HDD: Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2TB From my 2011 Imac.
ODD: SN-208DB/BEBET Samsung (31chf)

Total price including shipping costs and taxes : 1658 chf = 1754 dollars

1. I know I will have to use a Dremel to cut a hole for the gtx 780 to fit through, other than that are all my components compatible?
2. I didn't include a CPU cooler because they are very expensive where I live and I don't know if the cooler I buy will also be a good match with the m1. If I use the stock cooler and don't overclock for now will I run into problems?
3. Is buying the i7 still not worth it? Im most exited about the witcher 3, does anyone know if It will benefit from the extra threads?
4. Please provide me with your thoughts about this build, are there any components you would switch for better/cheaper ones?

Thanks a ton!

Last edited:
Have you considered going with the SG08 instead? No modding required.

Oh derp, I forgot to say that I will be air travelling a lot with the case in my hand luggage. The sg06 is smaller and a lot lighter :).

Sg08 is heavy because of the 10mm thick aluminium front panel. SG07 is closer in weight to SG05/SG06.

Yeah, but I really hate the look of the front panel of SG07 :D (and its still quite a bit heavier than the sg06 because it takes a full ATX PSU). If you have ever seen any cool SG07 panel mods i'd love to see them :)!

Oy, that front panel on the 08 does weight a ton. You could save a kilo if you went with the 07, but even that is still over a kilo heavier than the 06. If you want to minimize weight, the 05 is .2kg lighter than the 06.

Speaking of that thick alu panel on the 08, I wonder if SS could save some $ if they milled out the inside of that front panel.

Speaking of that thick alu panel on the 08, I wonder if SS could save some $ if they milled out the inside of that front panel.

That would add production time, tooling costs and would end up costing more.

I just got my last part for an almost identical build to yours that I'm going to use as a gaming console. The only differences are I went with the SG07, my 780 is the EVGA with ACX cooler, and I'm going to be running a H80i on the CPU which is a 4770k instead of a 4670k. I like your build, good luck with it!

Thanks guys for all your helpful suggestions so far! Most of my queries have been resolved, however i'm really OCD'ing about whether or not to get the i7-4770k. Now that next gen consoles have more cores i'm worrying that future games will benefit a lot more from an i7. I'm now also considering getting the NT06-PRO, does anyone know if it will fit with my motherboard and if it will fit with the m1. Does anyone have any positive or negative experience with the NT06-PRO to share? Thanks!

Thanks guys for all your helpful suggestions so far! Most of my queries have been resolved, however i'm really OCD'ing about whether or not to get the i7-4770k. Now that next gen consoles have more cores i'm worrying that future games will benefit a lot more from an i7. I'm now also considering getting the NT06-PRO, does anyone know if it will fit with my motherboard and if it will fit with the m1. Does anyone have any positive or negative experience with the NT06-PRO to share? Thanks!

just get a 65w 4770s and use the stock cooler, done. great performance, everything works, you can forget about heat, cooler, performance, power consumption, etc for few years.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. I ordered all the parts and they should be arriving over the next 2 days (feels like i'm 5 years old, its Christmas and the postman is Santa Claus :D). Ill post some pics of the finished build :)!

Well in my sleep deprived state of overexcitement I put a little to much force on the front panel of the sg06 and now one of the rivets on the side of the front of the case is very slightly bent/slanted and sticking outward a little further than the rest. However its enough to cause a bump when I put the cover back on the sg06. Can someone please instruct me upon the best way to repair this stupid mistake before I F it up even more?

Back