New Maximus VI Gene (Z87), thumps speakers LOUDLY on pwrup/pwrdown

Damn Dirty Ape

[H]ard|Gawd
New Asus Maximus VI Gene (z87) thumps my klipsch 2.1 system very loudly on powerup and powerdown. This is regardless of what the volume is set to.

I didn't have this problem with my previous install which was a Maximus VI Hero.

Thoughts please?

Klipsch set-ups like the Promedia 5.1 and the 2.1 (have had both) tend to do weird things just before they bit the dust. They are notorious for this.

My guess is your subwoofer is about to go up in smoke......really.:eek:

I had the Promedia 5.1 and as it was smoking it began to make all sorts of loud, ear piercing noises.

My son's 2.1 set did the same thing.

In other words, I don't think it's the computer. Use what you have for as long as it will last.

New Asus Maximus VI Gene (z87) thumps my klipsch 2.1 system very loudly on powerup and powerdown. This is regardless of what the volume is set to.

I didn't have this problem with my previous install which was a Maximus VI Hero.

Thoughts please?

Likely DC thump. The only fix for you will be to turn the Klipsch system off before the board etc.

I don't think your sub is necessarily dying. Do you have surge protection off in bios? I have a m6hero that didn't do this b4 and now does. Let's try and narrow down where it's coming from.

Could be something with ErP too. Not sure.

Last edited:
Surge protection has nothing to do with DC on the outputs of the audio chipset. The surge protection feature monitors voltages crudely at the Super IO on the board to makes sure they don't breach past say 10% of rail specs.

The DC issues usually occur at driver hand off on shutdown and chipset initialization during BOOT. The only way to cure this indefinitely is at the hardware level, where one has to use relays to latch the outputs and lift them out of sync with the audio output from the chipset.

-Raja

All this technical mumbo-jumbo......

It's the Sub, boys.......;)

Now get off my lawn.....:D

I think Raja is probably correct, at any rate the solution is to turn off the sound at the pod before you shut down the computer.

Anyway, just fixed it on my M6H by either turning surge protection back on, or turning ErP mode off.

Since Raja is probably right about whatever he said it is likely that since ErP mode seems to completely shut off power to the motherboard as if you flipped the switch on your PSU, that is what fixed the thump for me. Turning off ErP mode keeps some standby power running to the MoBo all the time and no more thumpies.

I think Raja is probably correct, at any rate the solution is to turn off the sound at the pod before you shut down the computer.

hmm never had to do that before this new mobo. That's what makes it a bit odd.

Anyway, just fixed it on my M6H by either turning surge protection back on, or turning ErP mode off.

Since Raja is probably right about whatever he said it is likely that since ErP mode seems to completely shut off power to the motherboard as if you flipped the switch on your PSU, that is what fixed the thump for me. Turning off ErP mode keeps some standby power running to the MoBo all the time and no more thumpies.

I'll try this just because!

edit: was off, tried on, same thing.

Last edited:
I don't think your sub is necessarily dying. Do you have surge protection off in bios? I have a m6hero that didn't do this b4 and now does. Let's try and narrow down where it's coming from.

Could be something with ErP too. Not sure.

erp was off, turned on, same result. surge prot on, tried off, same result.

actually listened and is coming from sub and both speakers. bah

Last mobo I had did this every time the computer woke from sleep, went to sleep, booted or shut down. This was an ASRock 1150 extreme4. I switched out the PSU from a Rosewill Capstone 550 to an Antec BP550+ and the issue almost completely went away. Still could hear the speakers pop but it was very quiet. Weird, I thought.

Then I went to the Asus Hero and it only pops the speakers when you completely power it down (No standby power to the mobo) but also very quiet. Turning the gain down does make it quieter even. Since I very rarely ever completely power down the mobo it's basically no issue with this board. It's some sort of shielding issue maybe?

Don't know about the shielding. Just it never did it with the maximus vi hero, just this vi gene.

actually listened and is coming from sub and both speakers. bah

Hahahahahaha......BoooooooYah......

I hate to be right, cuz it means your Sub is about to start on fire.

I'm sorry to be so awful. I had the same problem awhile back. Those sound systems are/were awesome, but the Sub circuitry was the achilles heel.

If it turns out I'm right, there's a guy who fixes them. Go to the sound sub-forum.:D

Well Klipsch ain't what it used to be. Still, I don't see any connection necessarily between DC thump (which is extremely common) and a dying sub. It would thump whether it was dying or not because the thump is coming from the source. DC thump CAN kill your sub, though, if it's loud enough and low freq. enough.

Yes Kips are notorious for overheating amps that caz the sub to fail. However I don`t think thats an issue with this case. I have this happen to my z623 all the time, different devices (PCs, Macs, SPhones, MP3s). The only one is my buddies Toshiba TV. No problem no DC thump. The only way around this is just turn on the speakers after you system is full powered. annoying but ehhh.

To also test this out, I would try hooking this upto a device that in the past hasn`t experienced the thump. If it still happens then its the speakers but if not then its just the board "feature"

There is a bug with ROG boards.

What do you mean "bug"? DC thump at switch off is known for many audio products. It isn't harmful other than making a noise and can be circumvented by turning your amp off first.

Yep, it's when the drivers first initialize the chipset. It's nothing to worry about, other than the noise it makes.

Back