I just recently built a new machine. here's the specs :
Athlon 64 4000
BFG Geforce 7800 GT OC
Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard
2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX 3200 Pro
WD Raptor HDD
Antec 480 modular PSU
and a lovely Antec p180 case

i've been using speedfan to tell internal temps, and everything is lookingbetter than i expected.

I get lockup's at the most random of times.

i can play games for hours and have no issues, and then hours later while surfing, it might freeze.
I have had it freeze up during warcraft 3, but that's about it for games. mostly it's while doing the most rudimentary of things.

Once i discover it's frozen, the only thing i can do to reawaken it is to hit reset.
Windows starts up fine too. it doesn't complain about being shut down improperly.

I'm not sure where to start with this.

searched the event log.
some sort of status error from the nvatabus. oh joy. i hope it's just a driver issue.

goign to ask about this in another area since this is getting no traffic

Hi there!

It's funny cause I have a lot of the exact same parts as you except a OCZ SLI 600w PS, Lian Li case & Corsair TwinXP1024-3200XL (Programmable LED Display) but I too have been having these odd freeze-ups that can come out of it within so many seconds and at other times pretty much stay in the frozen mode so I have to reset. These happen often when using Norton's Speed Disk to defrag but randomly within Windows at any time, might be soon or it might takes hours. I've got (2) Raptors setup in a RAID 0 using the NVIDIA 3 & 4 SATA connectors with both drives set as master, I did install the NVIDIA IDE driver when I installed the NVIDIA v6.66 chipset drivers which now looking at a lot of posts I guess I shouldn't have done. This problem has had me quite disgusted, I know the PS voltage is right on, the temps are great, I get no blue screens or reboots, just both hard and soft freeze-ups. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brassua,

you probably won't like this response - but i ended up reformatting, and going with the motherboard drivers included on the CD. ever since it's been rock-solid again.

i have been updating my video drivers, so that's not the culprit, at least in my situation.

good luck

Messy which version are the NVIDIA chipset drivers on the Asus CD? Also are you running a RAID 0? It didn't appear that you are going by what you wrote. The place I bought the board and CPU from has it now and are testing to see if it's a board problem, we'll see. ;)

the cd is labeled as "NVIDIA nForce SLI Series Support CD Rev.99.05

here's some pasted info from a text file on the CD -

-Chipset
-WINXP_2K -nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.53 for Windows 2000/XP(WHQL).

at the time i did not have any RAID in the machine. i still do not have the system drive in a RADI configuration (though i may soon), but i do now have a large RAID 1 backup for this and other systems i have.

with that chipset driver i have been rock-solid.

i hope that helps. if you want that driver, i could probably get it to you to try.

Messy, I just wanted to let you know I got my A8N-SLI Premium back and experienced the same lock-up problems even after I re-installed Win XP Pro along with the very latest RAID and chipset drivers but somehow after some playing around I've seemed to have stopped the lock-ups, not really sure how I've accomplished this but I'm much more happy now then I was. :p

glad to hear that. since i did a reinstall and stayed away from those forceware drivers (6.66 i thiuk. not sure) my machine has been rock-solid. i love it

Back