New Machine GPU issues

Liger88

2[H]4U
So I finally got around to getting a new build and putting it together and I have two questions currently.

Question 1

I got a 780 in the top PCIe 3.0 16x slot (nearest the CPU) and I used that to install Windows before later adding in my second 660 I had from a previous machine in the slot below it. Now my problem is, I bought the GTX 780 to straight fold 24/7 and was planning on using the 660 for gaming (since it's more than what I need ATM) until I can get a cheaper GTX 780 down the road.

The problem is Windows 7 only recognizes my top slot (GTX 780) as the main display card. I thought I could just plug it into the 660 and get it to recognize no problem, but when I do that it sees it like a dual screen. Nothing but a blank background where I can't do anything with it. I only have one screen. Tell me there has to be an easier way to switch the main GPU monitor between slots without having to take the cards out manually. I tried playing around with some settings and ended up turning off my GTX 780 monitor display and my 660 would only show the blank desktop (thinking it's dual screen when I switch the same monitor adapter to the second card) and I thankfully was able to do a system restore to get recover.

I'm nervous to touch anything unless someone knows exactly how to fix this because I'd prefer to not keep stopping the GTX 780 every time I want to game since it's the most producing card.

Anyone?

Question 2

My second problem is during the reinstall of all my software and going through hardware problems I was impatient and decided to load F@H before it was stable. Both GPU's are on the "beta" flag, but the problem with this new build is it isn't showing the correct PPD numbers after 12 hours. The points are registering no problem, but I'm not seeing the correct real-time stats.

Untitled.jpg

Besides a fresh install of F@H and the "beta" tag on each I'm confused as to what could be causing it to not show the real PPD estimates.

Thanks in advance for any help :D

Under Windows' screen resolution settings, did you check the box that says Make this my main display and then click ok. I would also reboot after applying it. However, be careful...sometimes doing this will leave a few icons on the other screen. YMMV.

For your 1st question, no idea

2nd one, do not trust the v7 readouts, they are often wrong, try using HFM with the guide found here if you need help on setting it up.

Under Windows' screen resolution settings, did you check the box that says Make this my main display and then click ok. I would also reboot after applying it. However, be careful...sometimes doing this will leave a few icons on the other screen. YMMV.

This is what happens when I hit "Detect" and I go to the other displays it sees. I pick the 660 and this is what I get.

Untitled.jpg

If I try to connect to VGA anyways it doesn't pick up my 660 if I switch the DVI cable from the 780 to the 660. I can't make it my main monitor because I have to apply the settings first, but if I do that it sees the 660 card as an expansion of the 780 and then it just completely shuts down the 780 input entirely which causes me to do a System Restore. The 660 then only shows an expansion monitor as the background no way to confirm to make it my main monitor because I can't see the desktop as per the numbers 1 and 2.

Untitled2.jpg

I didn't think it would try to see each GPU as a separate monitor, Windows that is, but I guess it makes sense. Then again I thought I would have been able to switch between 780 and 660 monitor inputs without doing much of anything. I'm really lost as to why it's acting like this.

For your 1st question, no idea

2nd one, do not trust the v7 readouts, they are often wrong, try using HFM with the guide found here if you need help on setting it up.

Funny, I always heard since the Beta program that F@H 7.3.6 was recommended for accuracy. I'll give it a shot, but it was showing just fine on my 660's before I built this new machine and everyone elses 780's show up just fine. Now both GPU's are reporting 1/3rd what they should be getting, but at least I am getting it so that's a plus.

Try opening that display setting and then move it to the "extended desktop" of the 660. Move your DVI cable to the 660 and see if you can see it. Then try and make your change that way. Otherwise, you may need to try it from another remote host.

AHH HAH! Success! I solved the issue of 2 GPU's and the one monitor only showing my desktop on the first GPU that I installed Windows 7 on and not on the second if I switched GPU's. Nothing was working, but then I remembered when I had a laptop there was a hotkey to switch the display settings to duplicate, extend, etc.

WINDOWS KEY + P

Plugged my DVI cable from the 780 into the 660 and held down the WINDOWS KEY + P, kept hitting P and releasing (3-4 options) and eventually success it came up with my 660 as my main display now! I was shocked that's how it resolved itself and if I didn't remember that laptop hot key I would never have figured that out or seen the setting for that otherwise.

Unfortunately the only problem is now the second question of getting my points to show up. I'm debating on removing all traces of F@H and then trying to reinstall, but I think I saw something on the folding forums awhile back where you need to double check the BIOS clock on a new build as that can affect things. I'm not sure if I remember that correctly, but it's worth a shot to verify the BIOS clock is correct.

i will also recommend using W.Feather's guide on using HFM with gpu folding.

i will also recommend using W.Feather's guide on using HFM with gpu folding.

Will do. With two top end votes I might as well now.

Cheers everyone for the help and at the very least brainstorming. I'll report back if HFM doesn't do the trick.

[EDIT]

Yup my BIOS clock was somehow set a day a head it was throwing off my PPD. I'll still try HFM just because W. Feathers wrote a nice little tutorial :D. Thanks all <3 [H]

Last edited:
Liger88, glad to see you got it squared away. I forgot about that hot key as well. Happy Folding!

Back