New MacBook

I knew i needed to get my day off to a good start - this guy..this guy :D

That was about the funniest thing since the voicemail from a guy in Texas who narrated a car full of old ladies beating the hell outta some guy who swiped into them. I think that was around 2005-ish. Jay Leno played the voicemail on his show. Great, funny stuff.

Last edited:
Before all the trolls come in, I gotta say that was pretty funny :D

Dude looks familiar like he works for another company. :p

As for the product it's not bad if you think of it as an iPad Air Pro which is an improved iPad Air 2 with larger display, keyboard and touchpad running more useful software but minus touch. Bad marketing and greed ruins it. If they had priced it around $900 people would've overlooked the missing standard ports and lack of features like touch and pen input.

I think Apple wants to get it down to $900, or at least $1,000. It's just doing what it did with the unibody MacBook back in 2008: it's biting the bullet and releasing at a higher price point now, and hoping that technical progression / economies of scale will let it lower the prices relatively quickly.

The marketing is fine, the price is gonna take time. I'd say the sweet spots remain the 13-inch MBA and MBP models.

that video was hilarious. It is right, the new macbook is ridiculous. I dont know why anyone would buy it. The 13" mbp pro however does look pretty good.

that video was hilarious. It is right, the new macbook is ridiculous. I dont know why anyone would buy it. The 13" mbp pro however does look pretty good.

If they woulda just put a retina display on the MBA, they woulda had themselves an incredible laptop. Oh well...

Only thing holding back the MBA is the crappy low resolution and TN display. If they can put a decent display in a $400 iPad I don't see why they can't for the $900+ MBA. Difference in weight of 0.3'ish pound is nothing and isn't worth the ~$500 premium. Heck I might even get one for Facebook if it had been updated to rMBA.

Only thing holding back the MBA is the crappy low resolution and TN display. If they can put a decent display in a $400 iPad I don't see why they can't for the $900+ MBA. Difference in weight of 0.3'ish pound is nothing and isn't worth the ~$500 premium. Heck I might even get one for Facebook if it had been updated to rMBA.

You'd buy a 1k laptop just for facebook? Wow....

Not against knowing something even if I don't prefer it but I don't want to waste time with building a frankenmac and don't want to pay too much since most of the productivity software are only available for Windows and it's only for exposure. Mac Mini is cheap but limiting being wall plug dependent so prefer laptop. Someone I know is selling a 2014 rMPB fully decked out with 15"/i7/GT750M/16GB/512GB for $1300 probably because she wants the new Netbook Air but 4.5 pound is too much of a brick. So, it's a toss up between Netbook Air except price and dongle or Macbook Air but resolution/TN so I think I'll wait for the next product release cycle.

Let me get this straight... this would be our "daily driver"... or just a computer to surf the net with?

Let me get this straight... this would be our "daily driver"... or just a computer to surf the net with?

The reviews of Windows Core M machines I've seen lead me to believe that they are plenty capable enough to be the main computer for the typical productivity user. Office suites, image editing, software development, light video editing & 3D modeling, etc. Desktop games, heavy video editing & 3D modeling, anything computationally heavy, not so much.

The point of the new Macbook is mobility because of its mass and thickness and little else. Mac folks should be happy with it. But the more I've looked at it, the more the base $1300 price tag is a bit high for what you get, even considering the size and build quality.

But the more I've looked at it, the more the base $1300 price tag is a bit high for what you get, even considering the size and build quality.

I agree. I think the pricepoint is Apple's way of differentiating it from the Air (which also had a high retail price when it was first released, and entered the range of other Ultrabooks once competitors started producing them in earnest) but it seems too high for what you are getting right now. For $899, I'd be waiting in line at launch, but for $1300, it's going to have to wait for at least rev 2. It'll probably eat the Air line completely in a generation or two, at which point I expect it to take over the Air's old pricepoint.

Product differentiation is the reason why they can't. There is no technical or cost reason why the MBA doesn't have a good display.

Product differentiation is the reason why they can't. There is no technical or cost reason why the MBA doesn't have a good display.

Correct. Apple's aim is to profit from more overlapping devices. That's why I'll never expect Apple to build a phone running Mac OS X that replaces a Macbook, iPad and iPhone companion when component miniaturization allows it. For that I'll have to look to someone like Microsoft since they're open minded with building the Surface Pro series which consolidates traditional laptop, tablet and digitizer pad or even Samsung with Note series.

Back