New Macbook Pros

AFAIK, the only PC5400 RAM are full size 667MHz DIMMs (ie same speed as 5300) that some manufacturers brand as 5400 because they supposedly test them at faster speeds. In other words, it's just a marketing thing.

Having said that, I've never seen a PC5400 SODIMM (notebook size) advertised. However if they do exist, chances are they'd work fine. For 100% compatibility though, go for recommended brands that have been known to work with MacBooks (most well known names are fine, just google, easy to find a list).

I saw one today so that's why I asked. $88 for a 2gb 5400 sodimm.

On another note, my employer gets an Apple discount. I have a web link that will show me the discounted prices at the Apple store. Does anyone know if I can get that discount at my local Apple store? Or is it online only?

I know you can get the student/education discount in stores, but I have no idea beyond that. I'd think probably not, given the logistics of tracking every corporate account compared to # of people who would actually use it in a store may not match up. However the best idea is just to look up your local store's phone # (http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/) and ask them. I'd be curious to know what the answer is.

I called the local store this morning. They say that they keep a list of companies that get discounts. So, I went over to buy a new MBP 17" glossy only to find out they were sold out. It seems that glossy is popular as both Apple stores in my area were out of 17" glossy.

Ouch. Hope you get your hands on one of them soon - are you going for the new high-res 17"?

Good info to have on the company discounts in Apple stores too. Thanks.

Well, I have a Dell E1705 I'm selling on Ebay right now. It has the 1920x1200 screen. I have very good eyesight but the text is so small on things that I find myself squinting sometimes. Sure, I can raise the text size, but then menu's get wonky and web pages don't display the way they are designed. So, I'll probably stay with the standard resolution.

Well, I have a Dell E1705 I'm selling on Ebay right now. It has the 1920x1200 screen. I have very good eyesight but the text is so small on things that I find myself squinting sometimes. Sure, I can raise the text size, but then menu's get wonky and web pages don't display the way they are designed. So, I'll probably stay with the standard resolution.

Sure, but that's with Windows. Tiger is about the same right now (no way to change the DPI, just font size) but with Leopard, resolution independence will make everything look great at any resolution. I'd recommend going with the 19x12 screen if you can. It's only $100 more and once Leopard arrives you'll be glad you picked it.

Has resolution independence been absolutely confirmed? From what I've read, it's not set in stone.

Has resolution independence been absolutely confirmed? From what I've read, it's not set in stone.

Not absolutely, but there have been clues like Apple telling developers to make their icons 512x512 pixels for Leopard. We'll probably hear something about it tomorrow in Steve's Keynote.

http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/

Resolution Independence

The old assumption that displays are 72dpi has been rendered obsolete by advances in display technology. Macs now ship with displays that sport native resolutions of 100dpi or better. Furthermore, the number of pixels per inch will continue to increase dramatically over the next few years. This will make displays crisper and smoother, but it also means that interfaces that are pixel-based will shrink to the point of being unusable. The solution is to remove the 72dpi assumption that has been the norm. In Leopard, the system, including the Carbon and Cocoa frameworks, will be able to draw user interface elements using a scale factor. This will let the user interface maintain the same physical size while gaining resolution and crispness from high dpi displays.

The introduction of resolution independence may mean that there is work that you’ll need to do in order to make your application look as good as possible. For modern Cocoa and Carbon applications, most of the work will center around raster-based resources. For older applications that use QuickDraw, more work will be required to replace QuickDraw-based calls with Quartz ones.

Back