New logitech speakers out? z-5500's

Shapeshifter

Limp Gawd
Was looking around and noticed that the supplier we use for products now has listed (new) Logitech Z-5500's Digital 5.1 Speakers (techdata)

these are about 20 dollars more then the z-680's they have listed, and quite a bit more then the z-5300 which are listed as just 5.1 speakers (they don't have digital)

So looks like logitech is coming out with new digitals

ps. oh and the z-680's are now "phased out"

And here they are!
http://www.alion.ru/pic/news/Logitech/Logitech_Z5500.jpg

They should be AS good if not better then the z-680's, as they are being phased out and replaced by these (usually means its better, but there have been cases in the past where a manufacter makes a new model and its actually woarse then the orgin)

edit: odoe - don't steal bandwidth please, you guys can rehost the images using a number of free hosting sites. Thank you.

Shapeshifter said:
And here they are!

http://www.alion.ru/pic/news/Logitech/Logitech_Z5500.jpg

edit: odoe - don't steal bandwidth please, you guys can rehost the images using a number of free hosting sites. Thank you.

They should be AS good if not better then the z-680's, as they are being phased out and replaced by these (usually means its better, but there have been cases in the past where a manufacter makes a new model and its actually woarse then the orgin)

Does that look like a 10" sub to you? It does to me...

they look cheap looking compared to the Z-680s.

It's like taking the Z-5300s and pumping the shit out of them to 500watts and slapping on the Z-680 remote which has been made in black plastic and a modified Control Panel unit thing.

Kinda disappointed in how they look.

pirateface said:
they look cheap looking compared to the Z-680s.

It's like taking the Z-5300s and pumping the shit out of them to 500watts and slapping on the Z-680 remote which has been made in black plastic and a modified Control Panel unit thing.

Kinda disappointed in how they look.

Don't assume anything...

first of all it will make an Ass (assumption) out of you, and the ump (assumption) will shun (assumption) you....

Thank you for listening to my rediculous joke!

Anyways, how can you get all of that info from a picture?

I'm just going to go with him on that one so I won't feel bad about getting the z680's... *sob*

if logitech is smart (and they genereally are) they did one of two things with these.

The "hiss" is more then likely 100% gone with these that people were annoyed with on the z-680's.

The bass is probably tighter and not as "boomy" :eek: :D

that's is if they are SMART.

which I suppose whenever some one gets their mittens on these and posts impressions we will find out

Shapeshifter said:
if logitech is smart (and they genereally are) they did one of two things with these.

The "hiss" is more then likely 100% gone with these that people were annoyed with on the z-680's.

The bass is probably tighter and not as "boomy" :eek: :D

that's is if they are SMART.

which I suppose whenever some one gets their mittens on these and posts impressions we will find out

yeah, and they should try and release them without a high failure rate... :D

Damn Logitech still making tweeter-less speakers. Sure the phase plug helps high frequencies a bit, but it's still not as crisp as a system with dedicated tweeters. That combined with Logitech systems always being far too bass-heavy makes me not wanting to consider them..

Methinks my z680s will have an unfortunate accident in the near future while I put my best buy warranty to werk 'an get an upgrade ;)

EDIT: erm, scratch that... I mean, buy new speakers and donate my old Logitech z680s to charity.

Rune75 said:
Methinks my z680s will have an unfortunate accident in the near future while I put my best buy warranty to werk 'an get an upgrade ;)

Yeah... :) Those darn mysterious accidents...

yeah, mysteriously running 120V into the speaker instead of the amplifier, etc...

edit:
Warning, this may cause fire and will deffinately cause rediculously large amounts of blueish toxic smoke to poour out of your speaker.

The thing about speakers is that unless you'er not happy w/ yours, or the nwe ones offer some crazy new unheard of but super feature.....upgrading isn't a rush, like w/ a vid card or a cpu. I don't know about you guys, but it took me a while to get broken into my speakers--I had a creative FPS 2000 (4.1 surround) set-up until I got the z-680s and I was really happy w/ them until I noticed what I was missing when it came to the joy of having a center channel. I went and checked out the Klipsch ones that people were raving over and over about...and for the SQ/price/ease of use/control, I just didn't get what the hooplah was. Since the z-680s were my virgin experience w/ 5.1 i'm kinda partial to the boom in the base...it did wonders for me back when I used to game. The control panel...GEEZ, I don't think any other company could pull me away from Logi without that thing as a feature. Sure, I use my Zs to decode more often than not but the choice and ease of use....

The bottom line?
These new jammies look flashy, but until I get some [H]ard specs, and/or get to mess about with them in a showroom or via a buddy's set, I think I'll be very ok with the muted greys and vibrant blue hues and tunes of my Lz680s!!!
That and I'm not itchin' to spend any loot.

excact same speakers im using at the moment, the cambridge fps 2000 digitals (digital only works with soundblaster live cards :rolleyes: )

Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I was searching for the new model Logitech speakers that were to replace the Z680's when I found the site with a link to a picture of the new speakers and all :) .

IMO however, I quite like the look of my 680's better than the new 5500's. I think they look too "retro" and I much rather the more "technological" look.

I suppose we will have to wait and see about the tech specs, but if indeed the new system comes with a 10" sub, it could well do more bad than good. The sub with the 680's is highly responsive and gives out very good quality bass, but by replacing that with a 10" sub, the response time may not be as good and will give less of a good "thump" that I like to hear in subwoofers.

Hwarang.

Larger sub, tru dolby....overall 1010w as compared to the 1000w (both rated) that the z680s come with.

Impressive, very impressive.

But not impressive enough to mandate an upgrade from the z680s so long as your powering them with tight card (aud2 zs/any flavor).

That 10" sub prolly is better at not overtaking the sats...no way to substanciate it, but it seems like a reasonable assumption, given the fact that logitech seems to listen to it's people.

given the age of the z680s it's only natural that they introduce a replacement model...not to say the older model is outdated, it still kicks many a set's butt in terms of price/performance, but in order to stay competitive, and tweak out the little nits that the cutomers have mentioned over the last 2 years.it seems that it's about time.

That said, I'd still like to have a cool site like this one, review the new Logitech Zs.

dwayne001 said:
Larger sub, tru dolby....overall 1010w as compared to the 1000w (both rated) that the z680s come with.

Impressive, very impressive.

But not impressive enough to mandate an upgrade from the z680s so long as your powering them with tight card (aud2 zs/any flavor).

That 10" sub prolly is better at not overtaking the sats...no way to substanciate it, but it seems like a reasonable assumption, given the fact that logitech seems to listen to it's people.

given the age of the z680s it's only natural that they introduce a replacement model...not to say the older model is outdated, it still kicks many a set's butt in terms of price/performance, but in order to stay competitive, and tweak out the little nits that the cutomers have mentioned over the last 2 years.it seems that it's about time.

That said, I'd still like to have a cool site like this one, review the new Logitech Zs.

exatcly, and more then likely as I said im sure there will be zero hiss issues with these speakers. Im suprised no site has reviewed them yet...

I think they're silly too...but i just took it from what the site/ marketing-sheet said.

i am also in the market for a new surround system. mainly fo pc and xbox. I am wondering if any logitech can keep up with the following:

- anyone owning this, or has heard good or bad? looks very nice to me...
www.spherex.com
Made for xbox, but it doesn't really matte coz connectors for xbox, pc, dvd etc. are all present ... and are the same anyway

- second option: get a decent AV receiver (e.g. Yamaha RX V 550) and a good set of 5.1 speakers (JBL etc).

let me know,
woody

The Spherex doesn't have discrete 5.1 analog inputs so PC users of SOL unless they have an Nforce with onboard Soundstorm.

all i know is i want two of them. that 10' i hope booms ever harder than the 8' and maybe logitech made something new for the mid/treble driver

VoBoy said:
all i know is i two of them. that 10' i hope booms ever harder than the 8' and maybe logitech made something new for the mid/treble driver
personally i'd like to see the 10" boom less than the 680s so that they might have some bass that's reasonably controlled and smooth. That doesn't mean they'd have to suck for games, but it means that the sub would have to be better than the shit they give you now.

Woah! Maybe the tech to producce these things dropped in price over the last little bit or maybe there's no super significant improvement in these new speakers but at $293 right off the bat from www.newegg.com I must say I'm a little surprised at how inexpensive these new puppies are. And that's from me just looking it up on froogle without sorting it by price or anything.

HEY ,[H]ardOCP, LET's GET A REVIEW OF THESE BABIES, EH!

it's been like 2 days since they wrote something new anyhow....

And that speaker setup at http://www.spherexinc.com/home.asp looks, well, like single purpose. Thing about logi speakers is that they allow for multiple multiple multiple inputs....so I can have it hooked up to my machine, dvd player and console w/ no issues. I suppose my Soundblaster audigy 2 could handle this speakers system as well, but like, it seems limited in scope. I wish console peripheral makers played nicer with PC enthusiasts. no eason why adapters and drivers can't be made (for added value's sake!) to allow them to interface w/ both devices.

Back to the topic--- Anyone got a hold of these new logitechs?

Well www.ncix.com has them listed. $400 CDN. Not bad I suppose; same price as the Z-680's.

I might get these when pay day comes next weekend. Use these with my SoundStorm. :D

Back