• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Lens - Keep or Trade

Lugztaz

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
1,783
Alright so for my birthday my parents got me the Canon - 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Zoom Lens.

I haven't got to try the lens at all yet, but they said I could keep it or go trade it for something else and or pay more.

They spent about $160 and depending on how much money I get from other family I am willing to spend about $100-$200 more if I can find something worth it.

I am not going to sell it, and save for a $600+ lens. I'm looking for more options in the above price range, maybe a macro lens, wide angle, zoom with IS, or something else with IS.

What are some of your suggestions? This is a Canon XT.
 
Sorry, just the one that came with the camera (Canon 18-55mm)

Also what is the difference between a Zoom and a telephoto zoom?
Edit: sorry I see this "Canon - EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Zoom Lens" mine is the same without USM, what is that?
 
That lens is nothing to brag about. It's incredibly soft without any PP and you DEFINITELY need at LEAST a monopod at the long end, especially in lower light. I'd say return it, and go for the 55-250mm IS lens. It has IS, which will help you on the long end, and decent optics. It's a no brainer IMO :)
 
I know it's nothing to brag about but it's something new to me. I'll be going to look today after class.
 
Alright, as I don't have a lot of money I went with the EF 55-250 w/ IS :) That should do me alright for awhile.

macro is next ;)
 
Well congrats on the new lens. Now go out and have fun with it.
 
Alright, as I don't have a lot of money I went with the EF 55-250 w/ IS :) That should do me alright for awhile.

macro is next ;)

Good choice! You'll definitely enjoy it!

Also, when you go macro, may I suggest the Canon 100mm f/2.8! Other good candidates are the Sigma 105 or if you can afford it, the Sigma 150!
 
It will be fun I hope! Now I just need to find some places around here to go and work on a gallery for my website, if I can find a good system
 
Back
Top