new led/lcd size and res?

boygorge

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 20, 2005
Messages
114
Hi guys,

I currently have an Asus 23'' LCD. From what I can understand the resolution it supports is 1900x10xx something, but I'm looking to upgrade resolutions and screen size when I buy a 7970 or gtx680 in the coming weeks.

I am looking for an LED type or backlit monitor that has the next higher widescreen resolution. Any ideas as to what I should look for? I can't afford Eyefinity although I do have a 48'' desk, but I would take suggestions on an Eyefinity setup if you can tell me what to look for. The LED is a must, because I want brighter colors.

Whats the next size resolution on single displays from the 1900x10xx? Also, if it breaks my bank, I wouldn't mind getting a 7950 because the cost is negligible but i want it to support a higher resolution on a single display.

thanks!
 
FYI the backlight (LED or CCFL) doesn't make the colours any brighter or better, e.g. the Dell U3011 and the 30" Apple aren't LED backlit and are considered among the best for colour reproduction.

The next size up in terms of resolution is 2560x1440 or 2560x1600, they are considerably more expensive than 1920x1080 monitors and afaik there aren't any that are LED backlit.

It all depends on what you're using the monitor for - if it's for gaming then you're probably better off getting a 120Hz monitor, but they only come in 1920x1080 resolutions. The higher resolution screens are IPS and have slower response times and higher input lag and aren't really suited to gaming.
 
I'm going to be using it specifically for gaming and occasional movie watching. More so for gaming though.

I guess I'd just like something with a higher resolution that is a bit clearer and richer than what I have. I will be watching Blue-Ray pretty much so I want something better than my current LCD which is decent. I'll read up on 120Mhz today and see what else I find.
 
Other than the energy savings and no warm-up time, current WLED backlit monitors are pretty overrated. A lot of times, CCFL monitors actually have a wider color gamut. Until they start making full array with local dimming LED backlit screens and/or start using RGB LEDs for consumer monitors, there's not going to be much functional advantage to LED.
 
Back
Top