new laptop hard drive...help

winman15

n00b
I am fixing my laptop, the hard drive works but is pretty much shit. Its a 20gb 4200 rpm stock HD for a compaq presario 1200 laptop. It recently began to go very slow, even after fresh reformat it still sucks ass. I want to get a new HD so i was wondering if I put a 40gb 5400 rpm in there, would that cause to much heat? Is there much speed difference between a 4200 and 5400? Any info is a ppreciated. thanks a lot, and happy holidays!

Yes, a new 5400 RPM drive would afford a noticeable performance improvement. Beyond that, the 7200 RPM laptop drives would offer even more performance.

At this point, 5400 RPM drives are deathly quiet, probably quieter than your 4500 RPM drive, because of fluid dynamic bearings. In terms of heat output and power consumption, both have dropped significantly over the past few years, again due to the superior bearings, and also due to pulse width modulation of the drive motors and other internal improvements.

Definitely get a 5400 RPM drive. Any drive in the current lineup will be good, and I'd recommend the following drives:

Hitachi 5K80 (fast and very quiet)
Samsung MP series (quietest)
Seagate Momentus 5400.2 (fastest, not as quiet)

will any higher speeds cause a problem with heat inside the computer? Thats my main concern. Thanks

No, heat output for 5400 RPM drives is about the same or lower than older 4500 RPM drives like yours.

what about a 7200 rpm HD, i was thinking this one from new egg Hitachi 40 gb New egg
Laptop HD's dont differ at all do they? like IDE hook up or anything like that? Im not to knowledgable on laptop supplies, thanks a lot. would a 7200 rpm give off to much heat?

That one is of the 3.5" form factor, which is much, much bigger than the 2.5" drives used in laptops. See here,

http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/notebookhdd/3drives.jpg

and here,

http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images//notebookhdd/size.jpg

As for heat, Hitachi lists a power dissipation of 2.5 W for general read/write activity for their 7K60 7200 RPM notebook drive, which is exactly the same as its 5K80 5400 RPM drive. I doubt your laptop would go unstable from the heat difference, if something is unaccounted for, but if it worries you, the 5400 RPM drives are fast in their own right.

If you want a 7200 RPM laptop drive, this is the one you want,

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-146-036&depa=0

one last question. I think a 5400 will hold me, that 7200 hitachi is a little to expensive for me, but what interface do i need. On new egg, almost every one has either ata-6, ata-7, ultra ata100, ect.. What one do i need? Its a presario 1200 laptop if that helps any. Thanks for all ur help.
how bout this one

Never heard of ATA Mode 7, but there is a Mode 6 (also known as ATA-133) and Mode 5 (aka ATA-100). Any of them will be compatible with your motherboard, as long as it's still ATA or IDE, not Serial ATA (which you'll be unlikely to encounter in notebook drives).

Back