New Keyboard

I'm getting a new keyboard very soon. I'm not, however, getting a QWERTY keyboard. I'm either going to go with DVORAK or something that's better. My problem: What's better than DVORAK? Reccomendations please.

http://www.ergodex.com/mainpage.htm

that keyboard's layout can be changed

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Next time I have $150 I don't know what to do with I'll check it out (which means never unfortunately). :( Maybe I can convince my work that I need one. :)

What's better than Dvorak? Many keyboards if your native language isn't English or uses a non-Roman alphabet. That aside, Dvorak will be your most widely supported non-Qwerty layout. I'm sure there are lesser known alternatives, but Dvorak is probably your best bet. To bad shortcut keys aren't as convenient anymore. (Like Ctrl-X,C,V are right next to each other on Qwerty layout, not so on Dvorak)

What exactly do you consider to be "better"? What are your criteria? I can give you some reasons why an alphabetically arranged keyboard layout is better than the dvorak layout, but I don't know if you would necessarily agree with me. :p And why don't you want qwerty? Have you ever even used the dvorak layout to see if you like it before you go spending money on a keyboard?

Kanenfawder said:
I'm getting a new keyboard very soon. I'm not, however, getting a QWERTY keyboard. I'm either going to go with DVORAK or something that's better. My problem: What's better than DVORAK? Reccomendations please.
Does your keyboard have removable key caps? My IBM Model M does. That way, you can play around with a DVORAK keyboard layout without spending any money. For that matter, you can try out other layouts while you're at it.

Back