New KB+M. Budget $150

jkmetal

Limp Gawd
I ve been considering a new keyboard and mouse for a few weeks now and I've narrowed my choices down. I just grabbed a cheap but decent computer desk locally. Everything went great until my I realized that my microsoft comfort curve keyboard was too large for the sliding keyboard shelf. There was no room for my mouse! So my choices are limited to a smaller keyboard than full size.

So far I ve decided on a tg3 82 (same as deck 82 ice) keyboard. I was just wondering if any of you had had an experience with using a keyboard like this to play any of the trackmania games?

For the mouse, its between a death adder or a microsoft intellimouse 3.0. I lift a lot so using a laser mouse is not an option for me.

Thoughts?

PS Using a compaq silm keyboard that came with my parents computer. This thing is brutal, way more effort to use then my old keyboard. Need to ditch this thing asap.

Last edited:
The DeathAdder is basically just an upgraded IME3.0. The DeathAdder's shape was modeled off the IME, besides the buttons being shaped a bit different and the back slightly less rounded.

The main downside of the IME is that its native polling rate (125) is lower than the DeathAdder's (1000) and it has very low CPI (450) for modern standards. You can increase the polling rate through some tweaks, but it's easier with the DA and will be the same on any computer. In most cases, CPI doesn't matter at all but because the IME's is so low, it actually might. If you're using a resolution like 1920x1080, the DeathAdder is probably just a safer choice in case the IME's 450 isn't enough.

SS 6Gv2 keyboard with SS Kana looks great.

I currently play with SS 6Gv2 keyboard and Deathadder/Lachesis mouse which works great. I think the SS Kana mouse will be great.

i'd recommend against the tg3 keyboard. it's not meant for desktop use. the keyboard is almost completely flat with no incline and the keys are all flat as well. when i first read about this, it didn't seem like that big of a deal, but after using one i definitely did not like it. typing on it was difficult and quite strange. the extra thickness of the board also made it more noticeable.

as for less-than-fullsize keyboard suggestions, if you're budget constrained a plu ml-87 would be a good choice for a mechanical. if you've more money to spend a filco ninja / leopold tenkeyless are pretty good as well.

for non mechanicals maybe a razer marauder?

The DeathAdder is basically just an upgraded IME3.0. The DeathAdder's shape was modeled off the IME, besides the buttons being shaped a bit different and the back slightly less rounded.

The main downside of the IME is that its native polling rate (125) is lower than the DeathAdder's (1000) and it has very low CPI (450) for modern standards. You can increase the polling rate through some tweaks, but it's easier with the DA and will be the same on any computer. In most cases, CPI doesn't matter at all but because the IME's is so low, it actually might. If you're using a resolution like 1920x1080, the DeathAdder is probably just a safer choice in case the IME's 450 isn't enough.

There's also the low max perfect control speed of the Intellimouse line. 1.55 m/s when at 1000hz.

Back