New Kaby or Ryzen

topslop1

2[H]4U
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$500. Yes.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need CPU, RAM, MOBO, COOLER
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
CASE, GFX, 1000 watt psu, HDS, Audio, etc.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
24'' 1080p, would like something bigger later on
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Nothing of the sort really.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes, Win 10 64bit.

Wait a few months for Coffee Lake? Should be 6 cores i5s at mainstream price levels. Otherwise, Kaby for gaming.

Last edited:
Neither, buy a i7 6700K Skylake.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I have this same CPU, MB, RAM combo, Running at 4.7GHz on Noctua NH-D15. Motherboard is rock solid. Recommended by Hard OCP also (Gold Award). (y)

Wouldn't advise buying a Kaby Lake if you're going to be overclocking:
https://hardforum.com/threads/gamer...ntel-core-i7-7700-temperature-spikes.1931553/

As you can see from this video the 6700K pretty much crushes the 1800x in games at stock settings

can you list the specific components? manually PC part picker did not save. Are you recommending buying used? the 7700k and 6700k new are very close in price.

6700k would be good if you can get a combo deal.

Ryzen 1600 or 1700 would be good as well, although not as much gaming peformance as the i7's yet

can you list the specific components? manually PC part picker did not save. Are you recommending buying used? the 7700k and 6700k new are very close in price.

6700k would be good if you can get a combo deal.

Ryzen 1600 or 1700 would be good as well, although not as much gaming peformance as the i7's yet

i7 6700k
MSI Z170A SLI Plus
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200mhz
Cryorig H7 (I'm using NH-D15)

Yes, the 6700K would be a great combo deal, check microcenter to see if they still offer good deals on this processor. I remember getting mine new for 309.00 last year. You can probably find them cheaper used now though.

Am I losing any future proofing by going that route?

Not really, you can choose to buy a Z170 board for it, most will support Kaby lake with Bios updates. You could also get a Z270 for a future Kaby lake upgrade.

The board I have with the 6700K is the MSI Z170A SLI Plus, It was recommended here on Hardforum.

IMO the 6700K is the best bang for your buck right now.

Not really, you can choose to buy a Z170 board for it, most will support Kaby lake with Bios updates. You could also get a Z270 for a future Kaby lake upgrade.

The board I have with the 6700K is the MSI Z170A SLI Plus, It was recommended here on Hardforum.

IMO the 6700K is the best bang for your buck right now.

I'm not sure this will fit within his budget. I agree that your recommendation has lots of performance

Here's my best attempt at finding deals on these items:
This comes to $567 (potentially $537 if you bundle with micro center, or $552 if you buy the second choice MOBO), a bit above the $500 target

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with Skylake over Kaby Lake.

The platform is rock-solid now and it supports Windows 7.

Plus, Microcenter is still running combo-deals, at least in Dallas anyway....

I'm not sure this will fit within his budget. I agree that your recommendation has lots of performance

Here's my best attempt at finding deals on these items:
This comes to $567 (potentially $537 if you bundle with micro center, or $552 if you buy the second choice MOBO), a bit above the $500 target

The PC partpicker list came to $502.00 originally. Good price on that 6700K at microcenter. The Ripjaws can be had for $125.00 16GB

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is this setup arguably $130-200 better than the above posted skylake 6700k setup?

b36b3130a3e6a4b413ef9ad28378171f.png

I'll be going to microcenter to pick up a 6600/6700 soon me thinks.

Get the 6700K , at 279.99 it really is the best bang for your buck. Especially for gaming. Don't let the core count concern you , it is fast! & with HT.

Get the 6700K , at 279.99 it really is the best bang for your buck. Especially for gaming. Don't let the core count concern you , it is fast! & with HT.
And I feel you're concerned, spend the extra $30 to get a 7700k from micro center. I f I were you , I'd get the Z270 based motherboard and a 7700k and be done with it, they clock higher and are top of the line, for only a little bit more. You'll have this computer for years, why compromise now?

On your Ryzen question about being better, on today's games, right now, the intel 6700/7700 are going to give better performance. I feel you're into gambling on the future, or games in 2+ years, that could change due to better use of more physical cores, but we're not there yet. If you play only the newest games versus some older games you like to crank up the setting in, this might matter more

And I feel you're concerned, spend the extra $30 to get a 7700k from micro center. I f I were you , I'd get the Z270 based motherboard and a 7700k and be done with it, they clock higher and are top of the line, for only a little bit more. You'll have this computer for years, why compromise now?

On your Ryzen question about being better, on today's games, right now, the intel 6700/7700 are going to give better performance. I feel you're into gambling on the future, or games in 2+ years, that could change due to better use of more physical cores, but we're not there yet. If you play only the newest games versus some older games you like to crank up the setting in, this might matter more

7700K is nothing more than a 5% boost in performance if that. Also, does OP really want to deal with those temp spikes? Intel has already told it's customers not to OC them because of heat issues. You can still buy a Z270 with Skylake.

Back