New Intel rig just ordered....

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys. I just ordered up these parts from Newegg and ZZF.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe Wifi-AP 975X
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W
Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6420
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120
CM Stacker 830 Black
(2) Sony Scythe S-Flex SFF21F 120mm fans
Highpoint RocketRaid

All other stuff like sound card, CD-ROM, etc. are going to be carried over from my old rig.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your comments and advice! I plan to OC this rig moderately, to the tune of about 3.3Ghz, or higher if I can.

Thanks!

I like it.

In my own quest for a moderately decent OC rig I think it works. Moderate price for the HW and a good bang when it comes to OC'ing it.

Enjoy the new toys!

-Flake

Why don't you ask comments and advices before making the order ? :p

Nice rig anyway.

good choice, i just saw some ddr667 2gb at £45 , you might better buying 4gb of these than the ddr800, not much speed difference in real terms anyway.

You rather have more gb

LOL you comment on ddr3 being only 1-2 fps more when you say get the 640 meg version of 8800 video card when that card gives the same resualts and is like 150 dollers more.
320 meg is best video card for money.

You got your self a great computer.

[CaM]Spoon;1031140362 said:
LOL you comment on ddr3 being only 1-2 fps more when you say get the 640 meg version of 8800 video card when that card gives the same resualts and is like 150 dollers more.
320 meg is best video card for money.

You got your self a great computer.

There's nothing LOL about it. Some games love the extra memory on vid card. It's not 1 or 2 fps it's more like 5-20fps for extra $60 depending on game. And no it's not $150 more. Look at the hot deals section. Not to mention future games and higher resolutions you can get out of the 640meg card. If you want to play anything above 1280x1024 640meg GTS is well worth it.

P35 doesn't make sense at all at this time. DDR3 cost so much more than DDR2 memory and yet it only performs 1 or 2 fps better or not even. Literally~

P35 is just good for OEM business.

There's nothing LOL about it. Some games love the extra memory on vid card. It's not 1 or 2 fps it's more like 5-20fps for extra $60 depending on game. And no it's not $150 more. Look at the hot deals section. Not to mention future games and higher resolutions you can get out of the 640meg card.

P35 doesn't make sense at all at this time. DDR3 cost so much more than DDR2 memory and yet it only performs 1 or 2 fps better or not even. Literally~

P35 is just good for OEM business.

P35 comes in both flavours , DDR2 and 3. :rolleyes:

I would buy P5K deluxe for $220 over $150 DFI p965.
Not to mention that P5K seems less problematic than the p965.

P965 boards problematic? Check out my sig. I bought it the day it came out and doing 500fsb. It's rock solid with orthos and every day use since last summer. I don't even turn off my computer.

P965 boards problematic? Check out my sig. I bought it the day it came out and doing 500fsb. It's rock solid with orthos and every day use since last summer. I don't even turn off my computer.

How's your P965 going to do with Penryn? The OP is building a new computer. Anything less than a P35 board with DDR2 was a bad move.

I was refering to DFI P965 specifically.
I would definitely pay the extra $40 for P5K. It just just better overclocking board overall.
Also, You shouldn't say every p5b out there is perfect just because yours is perfect. I am sure P5B has some vdroop issues also.
Mine died after 2 weeks.

P5B boards are good for mild to high overclocks, they get fishy with high overclocks. As for P5K boards, just SICK when it comes to stability and extreme clocks. I have one P5K Deluxe and have/had 5-6 P5B Deluxe's. All P5B Deluxes over 500 FSB no problems but high RAM clocks are screwy and vary board to board not to mention horrible vDroop. This P5K, disgusting, at 1.25v NB I maxed by E6400 at 570 FSB on ambient temps and Q6600 is stable at around 490 FSB where the P5B's it was stable at 480, every little bit helps :D. Plus the P5K will allow 1T command rates on the RAM :) and vDroop is about around .008, 1.258v idle and 1.250 loaded.

As for this fellas system, it is great. The P5W DH Deluxe should get that chip to 3.2 ghz rock solid. 8 x 400 FSB with 1:1 ratio on RAM. The only downfall to the 975X is problems with anything higher than 420 FSB. Watch out for you NB temps, might need a fan over it 24/7 to keep it stable after prolonged use.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

The reason why I got the P5WDH is due to its BIOS maturity, board layout, and fan control ability. Also, I wanted to stay with Asus. The reason why I didn't get the P5K was because it's using a P35 chipset, which is equated to a 965 chipset. I would have rather got a X38 chipset, but, of course, it's not out yet.

I was refering to DFI P965 specifically.
I would definitely pay the extra $40 for P5K. It just just better overclocking board overall.
Also, You shouldn't say every p5b out there is perfect just because yours is perfect. I am sure P5B has some vdroop issues also.
Mine died after 2 weeks.

I guess by your logic every p5k isn't perfect either.

How's your P965 going to do with Penryn? The OP is building a new computer. Anything less than a P35 board with DDR2 was a bad move.

Well, one thing I was looking for, and one of the reasons why I held out this long was to wait for a platform to MATURE. I had built many personal rigs in which I sorta turned into what I felt was a freaking beta tester because the board wasn't mature. Granted, all hardware goes through such a period, but not in the fashion that I started getting accustomed to. I was not prepared to become a beta tester again. Rather, I got a bona fide platform that is known to be stable and has had time for the kinks to be worked out.

Far as I know asus p5b supports Penryn. :confused:

Not likely.

Well, one thing I was looking for, and one of the reasons why I held out this long was to wait for a platform to MATURE.

IMO, there's a difference between waiting for a platform to mature and locking yourself into obsolescence. Penryn is the future, ASUS P35 boards are comparably priced to 965 boards, and all of the reviews I've read have said P35 is mature, stable, and overclocks like mad. I'm sure you'll enjoy your rig, but you came here looking for opinions and I'd say the majority think you made a mistake. Good luck.

IMO, there's a difference between waiting for a platform to mature and locking yourself into obsolescence. Penryn is the future, ASUS P35 boards are comparably priced to 965 boards, and all of the reviews I've read have said P35 is mature, stable, and overclocks like mad. I'm sure you'll enjoy your rig, but you came here looking for opinions and I'd say the majority think you made a mistake. Good luck.

You're right. I came here looking for everyone's opinions, and I thank all of you for it. I don't think my choice is a mistake, but, if it is, I can always go out and buy a new board.

No way in hell any new boards won't have the little kinks here and there that a board that was out longer have already ironed out, and this is what I was referring to.

I've had the P5K Deluxe for 2 weeks now, and it has, for all intensive purposes (no pun intended), no Kinks!! For a new board, it is remarkably stable, bug free and fast; I'm not sure it even needs any new bios revisions, that' how good it's been.

For a new board, it is remarkably stable, bug free and fast

I agree completely. The only bad news i've heard about it is the heatsink construction isn't of the best quality. But, since the NB doesn't get too hot, it isn't that much of a problem. Can't wait until i get mine tomorrow!

I have the same proc, mobo, video card, RAM, and the 520Watt version of that power supplyt. It was an easy build. Stable, fast as hell, and overclocks nicely.

Hey guys. I just ordered up these parts from Newegg and ZZF.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe Wifi-AP 975X
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W
Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6420
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120
CM Stacker 830 Black
(2) Sony Scythe S-Flex SFF21F 120mm fans
Highpoint RocketRaid

All other stuff like sound card, CD-ROM, etc. are going to be carried over from my old rig.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your comments and advice! I plan to OC this rig moderately, to the tune of about 3.3Ghz, or higher if I can.

Thanks!

You really should post these things before ordering. There are a couple things I'd like to point out.

It would be worth going with the 640MB version of the 8800GTS. Not that the 8800GTS 320MB is bad card, I have one in my girlfriends machine, but the 640MB version will yield better results with higher levels of AA and AF. You should have gone with the Stacker 832 or Stacker Evolution. The Stacker 830 won't accept larger power supplies without modification. The PSU you ordered is probably fine, but anything larger than a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750/Quad won't fit. In fact I had to invert my PC Power & Cooling unit to make it fit. (There is a lip that can be used for mounting purposes that needed to be oriented so that it would fit under the top fan mounting bracket.)

Finally, I am not sure why you needed the Highpoint RocketRAID controller, but the P5W DH has a ton of RAID controllers and the Silicon Image controller is a true hardware based solution and should actually out perform the high point controller though it is limited to RAID 0 or 1, and only supports two devices. As far as the P5K Deluxe comments are concerned, I agree with the masses here, the P5K is the better choice for the most part. Especially where overclocking is concerned, though feature wise the P5W DH is one of the nicest boards you can have. I've been very pleased with mine.

In any case I am sure you'll be pleased with your machine. You've made some really good choices for the most part.

Back