New install IP35 help

egartin

n00b
Installed my new IP35 motherboard and it has no video. The red light and the green led come on then it shuts down and starts again (Double post I guess). Although the monitor says no signal. I tried a different PCI-E video card with the same error. I installed all of my components on a 965 mobo and it works fine so that leads me back to the IP35. I cleared cmos and removed the battery with the same results. Everything is connect correctly (24pin, 8pin and molex). I have been putting systems together for about 12 years now and this one has got me stumped. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

System specs:

Abit IP35 rev. 1.00
E6600
OCZ DDR2 667 PC25400 model OCZ26672048ELGEGXT-K 2x1024MB
BFG Geforce 7900GS PCI-E
Seagate 320GB
Ultra Xfinity ULT-XF500 PSU

Thanks,

Eric

are you saying the computer goes through a power cycle? fans spin > stop spinning > spin > stop spinning? if so, I would suggested unbuilding it, and rebuilding it being sure to reseat the CPU heatsinkand make sure you're powering the additional power connector. after all that try this>

boot with 1 stick of ram and a vga cable after clearing cmos

13-127-029-04.jpg

are you saying the computer goes through a power cycle? fans spin > stop spinning > spin > stop spinning? if so, I would suggested unbuilding it, and rebuilding it being sure to reseat the CPU heatsinkand make sure you're powering the additional power connector. after all that try this>

boot with 1 stick of ram and a vga cable after clearing cmos

13-127-029-04.jpg

It does go through the power cycle 2 times. The second time it seems normal, except for the no video part.

When you say a VGA cable is a DVI cable okay? I have tried booting with 1 stick after clearing the cmos in every slot (waited about 20 minutes between tries). The only thing I have not tried is reseating the CPU. I will try that in the morning, I just got paged for work.

Thanks,
Eric

It does go through the power cycle 2 times. The second time it seems normal, except for the no video part.

When you say a VGA cable is a DVI cable okay? I have tried booting with 1 stick after clearing the cmos in every slot (waited about 20 minutes between tries). The only thing I have not tried is reseating the CPU. I will try that in the morning, I just got paged for work.

Thanks,
Eric

No, actually DVI is not okay yet, first try the vga, even if you need an adapter from dvi to vga, use a vga cable. Also, you may want to try booting with some OEM DDR2 just to see if it's related to voltage requirements at boot up, some thoughts, goodluck

The double boot is common for this board. The video issue, however, is not.

Try different ram in a different slot, something that is 1.8volt ddr2 800 if you have it.

Do you have a speaker connected to the motherboard header? if so, are you getting any beep codes?

Okay here is what I got accomplished today. I removed the board from the case and placed it on a plastic lid. Then I removed the battery and placed the jumper to clear cmos. I reseated the processor, everything looked okay. Connected the ATX power, 8 pin and molex, installed a PCI-E video card and hooked it to a monitor via VGA cable. Connected the power switch and reset switch. Results, Same errors as before when it was in the case.
Tried it again with another power supply as before with the same result. Also tried different ram sticks in different slots.
I read on the abit forum that some models of OCZ memory have problems with the voltage on the Ip35 motherboard, resulting in similar errors. Although from what I read it would post into the bios for a short time to allow a change in voltage. But everything I found about it was pc26400 not PC25400 like I have. I suspect maybe it is the memory. Although the memory tests fine in another system. Who knows.
Is there something I am missing or is this ready for an RMA?
Can you flash the bios with no video? If possible do you think it would help?

Thanks,

Eric

I have the IP35-E and I've learned that the motherboard is very picky when it comes to ram. Can you borrow a friend's ddr2-800 stick to try out?

Eh, this problem happened to me also when I first set up my IP35 Pro board. It happened that the RAM was not getting enough voltage (I had it at 2.0v... it needed 2.1v) on this board and caused Windows install errors and no video once. Resetting the CMOS fixed it for me and once I realized it was memory voltage related I haven't had any more issues. Try booting with only 1 stick of RAM.... or try booting with no RAM and see if you get a different error beep code. At least then you'll know if the RAM is causing the error.

Edit: This might sound dumb, but check the clear CMOS jumper just to verify that it's in the correct position. I've seen them come from the factory in the wrong position every once in a while.

I don't know anyone that would have the 800 memory. I am trying to find a speaker to test it with.

Back