New iMacs.

Nice. Seriously wish I could afford one of those, especially since my main desktop is really starting to show it's age lately.

I noticed they also dropped the infamous "2GB->4GB" upgrade price from the laughable $400 to an equally silly but more sucker-attracting $200.

FYI- 4GB of quality RAM costs about $100 these days.

I might have to pick one up pretty soon, I will probably be giving the girlfriend my macbook for grad-school, and I will need a new mac. The mac pro is just too expensive, so it will either be another macbook (or macbook pro if i find a great deal) or an iMac.

I was looking at the numbers and something didn't add up for me. They have a 3.06GHz CPU with 6MB cache and a 1066 FSB in the new iMacs? The E8X00 Core2Duo have 6MB cache but 1333 FSB. What kind of chip did they put there? Are they underclocking a chip that we haven't seen yet? There is nothing on Intel's site to explain this.

The NVIDIA 8800 GS option in the 24" is new, correct? I strangely haven't heard of an "8800 GS" before.

I would guess that the 20" still retains the TN panel, but does the 24" still have that lovely H-IPS panel we all love so damn much? The 20" would be attractive to me were it not for that damn TN panel.

I just ordered my imac 24 2.8ghz last week and the 3.0 ghz releases.....

Is there a way to call up apple for an exchange even if the product wasn't purchased from them directly? (imac is brand new and waiting upon arrival for UPS)

This is great. I think the 8800GS brings a much-needed graphical boost to the iMac line. Not to mention that that 3GHz C2D is blazing.

I was looking at the numbers and something didn't add up for me. They have a 3.06GHz CPU with 6MB cache and a 1066 FSB in the new iMacs? The E8X00 Core2Duo have 6MB cache but 1333 FSB. What kind of chip did they put there? Are they underclocking a chip that we haven't seen yet? There is nothing on Intel's site to explain this.

No underclocking.

These are the New Mobile Penryn's which were going to be released in June by Intel. Same with the Chipset this iMac uses.

This is the New Montevania Mobile platform, but it seems Apple got it over a month early from the big blue giant.

I absolutly <3 Intel and Apple's relationship

This is great. I think the 8800GS brings a much-needed graphical boost to the iMac line. Not to mention that that 3GHz C2D is blazing.

The 8800GS is ok. They should have went with something better still..... But oh well.

The 8800GS is ok. They should have went with something better still..... But oh well.

Remember that it's a mobile GPU. I think there's a mobile version of the 8800GTX, but other than that, what is there that they could have gone with?

I absolutly <3 Intel and Apple's relationship
FYI- I had my Sager 5793 laptop with Penryn 2.5ghz processor over a month before Apple announced their Penryn laptops.

I think it has more to do with the iMac being generally larger than a laptop, and having better ability to move heat. I don't see Montevina being rolled out on any of Apple's laptops today.

Remember that it's a mobile GPU. I think there's a mobile version of the 8800GTX, but other than that, what is there that they could have gone with?

I would have went with the Radeon HD 3800 Mobilty Series

I just ordered my imac 24 2.8ghz last week and the 3.0 ghz releases.....

Is there a way to call up apple for an exchange even if the product wasn't purchased from them directly? (imac is brand new and waiting upon arrival for UPS)

You should just be able to return it if you haven't opened it.

Sigh, I still don't quite get it. Nice to see upgraded mac stuff... but for $2000... a 3GHz Dual core, 8800GS, 2GB ram, and a 24" screen?

I bought my good panel 24" dell monitor for $600... but still $1400? The only legal way to run OS X I suppose.

Well, whatever works for you - it's not my money or my decision.

Sigh, I still don't quite get it. Nice to see upgraded mac stuff... but for $2000... a 3GHz Dual core, 8800GS, 2GB ram, and a 24" screen?

I bought my good panel 24" dell monitor for $600... but still $1400? The only legal way to run OS X I suppose.

That 24" panel is also a lot better than your Dell. You have to remember that the iMac is using notebook parts, so it's going to be more expensive.

While yes the processors are currently unreleased to others, they are not Montevina, so they run hotter than what others will be offering when they hit in June-ish.

That 24" panel is also a lot better than your Dell. You have to remember that the iMac is using notebook parts, so it's going to be more expensive.

How is the iMac display better than the Dell displays, last I remember Dell didn't have a rash of recalls on their panels.

Why should I pay extra for notebook parts when I am not buying a notebook? Thats what confuses me about the iMac.

Regular Penryns 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.06

Intel and Apple are good partners but I'd doubt they'd give apple products that aren't supposed to be released months later.

How is the iMac display better than the Dell displays, last I remember Dell didn't have a rash of recalls on their panels.
Dell does have quality control problems when it comes to displays, like Apple, and I don't remember any recent recall. And the 24" iMac is using the same panel NEC uses for this display.

Yes, I agree they do, but I remeber recently of a huge issue Apple was having with their iMac displays, seems as recent as December '07.

Why should I pay extra for notebook parts when I am not buying a notebook? Thats what confuses me about the iMac.

Well the iMac use notebook parts so the Design can remain thin and visually asthetic. Also, the notebook parts use less power and generate less heat than their desktop counterparts.

You do have to agree, no PC company can make computers look as good as Apple can :D

Not an all in one of course...but what really is the point of an all in one desktop? Do you have a tiny desk that is a foot wide and and 6 inches deep? Don't get me wrong, the iMac looks nice, but for the money you spend you just don't get alot.

Price and power > looks. I'm sorry, $1200 for a fancy looking LCD monitor... get a 20" TN panel, 2.4GHz Laptop Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250GB 7200RPM drive, Radeon 2400 XT, Dvd burner....

Building that from desktop parts... $250 for monitor, $140 for the CPU, $90 for the motherboard, $20 for the ram, $90 for the harddrive, $45 for the video card, $30 for the optical drive, $50 on a case, and $80 on a PSU... $795. Where is the extra $400 going? Yea, not the laptop proc or laptop ram... but who cares? We aren't building a laptop. If you do drop $300 on a laptop proc, and $18 on laptop ram, I guess you get a little closer. But this isn't a laptop! It has to be made like one to be thin and cool looking, but re........

Ahh, good ol mac vs pc debate. I'll stop wasting my time. Like a said earlier.

"Well, whatever works for you - it's not my money or my decision."

I'm personally wondering why the hell Apple would want to use a C2E 9100, a $851 part according to the wiki, as compared to the E8400, a $183 part. 66MHz ain't worth $668. Ten bucks a MHz. That's Apple for you.

Interesting. A penryn with an overclocked FSB and weird multi. Still $900 too expensive.

deja vu, I coulda swore I said it wasn't a Montevina earlier in the thread, plus it runs at 55W instead of the Penryn-XE's 44W.

You must remember you're looking at an all-in-one computer. Compare it to Sony VGC and the price will make more sense to you and will make for a much more sensible PC vs Mac debate than you shopping for computer components a-la-carte.

Is anyone that tight on space? You can fit a tower no matter how much space you don't have, stick it on the floor, under the monitor, behind it... Or just get a laptop. If you are tight on space I doubt you would have the money for an imac.

Edit: btw, I'd get the imac over the sony vaio or the dell xps one. If you are going to drop the same amount of money for any one of those, apple all the way.

I just got a refurbed 24" and the screen is glorious. I have to wonder if it'd be even better if I got rid of the glass covering it.... most displays don't have that, especially so thick.

Back