New i7 underperforming, HELP!

lol. Easy fix, it is annoying as most ppl have no idea how to turn it off. That feature in Vista sux. Basically, it runs everything as user versus admin to protect your pc.

Hit WIndows Key +R
type in msconfig
In the popup window go to tools
then find DISABLE UAC and hit launch.
Reboot
Profit.

Did this and it's still giving me the stupid admin message. On another note, I ran CPU-Z (and I really don't know what the hell i'm looking at)...it gives me different CPU speeds depending on what i'm running. For example, 1600mhz when idling and 2800mhz (~stock cpu speed) when I play FSX. Is this throttling or is this normal?

Did this and it's still giving me the stupid admin message. On another note, I ran CPU-Z (and I really don't know what the hell i'm looking at)...it gives me different CPU speeds depending on what i'm running. For example, 1600mhz when idling and 2800mhz (~stock cpu speed) when I play FSX. Is this throttling or is this normal?

Actually, come to think of it that would be the opposite of throttling. Still, is this normal?

Yes, perfectly normal. All new Intel CPUs will downclock when idle to save energy, however when your system is doing something where it needs power, e.g. playing a game, it'll ramp up to its actual speed.

I'd have to agree with Pestilence that it sounds like an nVidia driver problem or even a MSFS X problem relating to nVidia cards.

For those of you who don't know, which sounds like most of you, since so many of the posts are obviously replying blindly and not even bothering to read the entire post, MSFS X is a very CPU intensive game. It's one of the few games that tend to be more CPU bound than GPU bound, way more than Source.

For instance, getting a low-mid range card like a 4850 or 9800GTX and putting an 3.2GHz Wolfdale on there will easily make your system GPU-bound in traditional engines, like pretty much every FPS out there. If you put a QX9770 or i7 on that system, you won't get any more FPS out of Crysis. However if you put MSFS X on there, you could actually increase your performance by huge margins by upgrading that CPU to an i7.

It's definitely NOT an i7 problem as many people have already reported some incredible gains going from C2D or C2Q systems to i7 in MSFS X.

I doubt it's a PSU problem otherwise other games and benchmarks would have most likely given you instability issues.

I also doubt it's thermal throttling, as even an C2Q downclocked at 1600MHz would produce far better framerates than that.

Don't assume it's a hardware problem. Search for software updates and other people who have i7 + nVidia + MSFS X.

Hmm, I tried two Nvidia drivers (right now i'm running on the latest beta) and i have all the FSX updates. I'm not quite sure what else software-wise is out there.

I also doubt it's thermal throttling, as even an C2Q downclocked at 1600MHz would produce far better framerates than that.

Don't assume it's a hardware problem. Search for software updates and other people who have i7 + nVidia + MSFS X.

So you do recognize that the FSX performance i'm getting is sub par? Because, thus far this forum for the most part has told me to accept what i'm getting.

I still don't understand this game. It's so intensive, yet it looks like just a bunch of blocks and blurry textures. I knwo the draw distance is pretty crazy, but still...

I still don't understand this game. It's so intensive, yet it looks like just a bunch of blocks and blurry textures. I knwo the draw distance is pretty crazy, but still...

...AND it came out in '06. I don't know how they sold any copies back then.

How far could i push this processor (i7 920) on stock cpu cooler??? The Antec 1200 case has good ventilation, which probably doesn't matter all that much, but it's something.

I've heard of people doing 3-3.2ghz on the stock air cooling. But it all depends anyway, some people would hit 3.6 if they are lucky.

How far could i push this processor (i7 920) on stock cpu cooler??? The Antec 1200 case has good ventilation, which probably doesn't matter all that much, but it's something.

should be able to do 3.2 with stock volts/hsf, I was able to do 3.4 with temps still okay and 3.5 at stock volts but getting a little to hot at that point.

FSX is a horrible benchmark. Every review I've seen that uses FSX has some disclaimer about driver conflicts, and the results are usually much lower than the other tests.

By the way you are going to have to temper your expectations with that system because even though your processor is awesome, you'll be GPU bound in most games with that GTX 260. Not to say that is a bad card, it is just that you won't be getting the full benefit of that proc. That would probably also be true with a single GTX280.

Back