New I7 Builds - Guidance Needed

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
I've got this one I7 920 at 4ghz stable at 1.3v, 87c max temps under fulll load. How are those #'s? I'm thinking not too bad overall

----

The other computer is having serious issues. I suspect memory. I am going stick by stick... the one I have in there now at stock speeds caused every single core to fail eventually. So going to keep playing with the memory. Not sure what the deal is, hope it is not the mobo. I can't find my memtest CD either which sucks...

One question I have with this problem build is how do you up the mem voltage? It used to be labeled Mem Voltage... now I have a Dram Bus Voltage and a QPI/DRAM Voltage or am I in the wrong area. This is on an ASUS P6T

One thing I did notice is the P6T seemed to default to 1066 DDR3 setting when these are 1600. Could that impact stability? I know sometimes that much of an under clock on the memory speed has caused issues with DDR2

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Hi Sunin - Yeah most of these Intel boards/RAM will default to 1066 RAM and IIRC only 1333 is officially supported. Obviously most boards give you dividers to go higher than that. I dont have an ASUS board but I think the QPI/DRAM is what you want. Dont set it above 1.65V. I think thats the highest that Intel recommends for these processors/chipsets. I need to rebot my machine here is a little while anyway, I'll double check what mine is called.

Thanks much the first time I set it to 1.65 it gave me a warning not to set it above 1.6. now it looks like 1.65 is not giving me an error message. I found my mem test cd and I'm working the memory now. I manually forced the DRAM Freq to 1600, and it seems to have stabilized. Also anyone recall if memtest tells you the voltage or is that the version # at the top of the screen... it just happens to say v1.65 which just happens to be the voltage I'm looking for, but I wonder if that is a version #... ehheehe

How much can we gain by uping the FSB multi? I'm at stock right now, but if that provides gains I might tweak with that. I'm at 202 bclk and 20 multi on the CPU. So I'm probably already pushing the FSB, as if memory serves it automatically increases when you increase the bclk

Well scratch that. My motherboard (MSI) labels it as DRAM voltage. But i would still bet you have the right voltage. Might not hurt to peek at the manual just to be sure.

The i7s dont have a traditional FSB. The bclk is actually a QPI on the 920s. Since the memry controller is integrated I havent heard of any performance gains just by oc'ing the bclk. Just up the RAM and CPU freq.

Well scratch that. My motherboard (MSI) labels it as DRAM voltage. But i would still bet you have the right voltage. Might not hurt to peek at the manual just to be sure.

The i7s dont have a traditional FSB. The bclk is actually a QPI on the 920s. Since the memry controller is integrated I havent heard of any performance gains just by oc'ing the bclk. Just up the RAM and CPU freq.

LOL have you read ASUS's manuals lately:

"Allows you to set the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage. The values range from 1.2v to 1.9v"

LOL thanks alot ASUS I could not have figured that bit out! I love asus mobo's, just hate their manuals.

thanks for the link that helps!

Oh and never mind on the FSB thing, I just figured out it is set to 20 which is teh max anyhow. /shrug still learning!

i'm not a professional folder or OCer but 87c seems high IMO.
what kind of cooling are you using?

my bigadv temps @ 3.8ghz (currently still tweaking the settings) temps hover in the high 60s to low 70s.

I am seeing mostly mid 60's at 3.8Mhz but this is with an i7-860. One core will occasionally touch 70. I was running mid-70's to almost 80 then figured out I had the fan backwards...doh!

LOL have you read ASUS's manuals lately:

"Allows you to set the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage. The values range from 1.2v to 1.9v"

LOL thanks alot ASUS I could not have figured that bit out! I love asus mobo's, just hate their manuals.

thanks for the link that helps!

Hahaha. No I guess thats not very helpful huh? :D

i'm not a professional folder or OCer but 87c seems high IMO.
what kind of cooling are you using?

my bigadv temps @ 3.8ghz (currently still tweaking the settings) temps hover in the high 60s to low 70s.

I suppose this depends quite a bit on not only heatsink/cooling but also ambient temp. Sunin/others - How high did you get your CPU freq on stock voltage? or did you just bump the vcore right away? :)

Well see that is what I can't tell. ASUS's auto adjusted my voltage at first... so I had to set it to manual. I was at 3.8 with 1.2v. The vid was .9625 on the stock processor. I never bump my vcore to start. I always try to see where it will go stock. I may mess with that in a bit since I know 202 bclk and 1.3v is stable.

I'm using a Ximatech Balder on it for cooling. My normal temps are around 49c when not stress testing, ambient showed 41c.

3.8 w/1.2 volts on I assume a 920 D0 is pretty good.

My VID is no where near that low. I can however hit 3.6 w/stock voltage.

What are you using for strest testing?

3.8 w/1.2 volts on I assume a 920 D0 is pretty good.

My VID is no where near that low. I can however hit 3.6 w/stock voltage.

What are you using for strest testing?

Tried a d true prime 95 with 8 cores. Running all three but the temps are from the middle one that says max heat.

So after a day of burning and rebooting:

Comp1: 202bclk, 20x, 4Ghz stable at 1.3v, 86c max under full load, 5970 @ 775/1200, FM 27252

Comp2: 202bclk, 20x, 4Ghz stable at 1.3v, 86c max under full load, 5970 @ 775/1200, FM 26894 (odd how the FM score varied)

1. It is incredibly rare I ever get two computers to behalf the same
2. Well these didn't exactly behave the same. #1 didn't take any tweaking to get the ram stable at 1600, #2 required the CPU to hit 4Ghz before the memory fully enjoyed the 1600 setting. /shrug

Regardless both primed for half a day at the above settings with out any glitches...

Now time to enjoy them a bit!

So after a day of burning and rebooting:

Comp1: 202bclk, 20x, 4Ghz stable at 1.3v, 86c max under full load, 5970 @ 775/1200, FM 27252

Comp2: 202bclk, 20x, 4Ghz stable at 1.3v, 86c max under full load, 5970 @ 775/1200, FM 26894 (odd how the FM score varied)

1. It is incredibly rare I ever get two computers to behalf the same
2. Well these didn't exactly behave the same. #1 didn't take any tweaking to get the ram stable at 1600, #2 required the CPU to hit 4Ghz before the memory fully enjoyed the 1600 setting. /shrug

Regardless both primed for half a day at the above settings with out any glitches...

Now time to enjoy them a bit!
don't forget bigadv is a 2 day 100% load marathon. Prime 95 unfortunately even if you run it for a week does not simulate the rigors of folding. You might lose a WU or two. Also 86 C?! Poor CPU's. I like to mine under 70C.

Nice work Sunin. Those look like two solid boxen! Are you folding on the 5970s?

don't forget bigadv is a 2 day 100% load marathon. Prime 95 unfortunately even if you run it for a week does not simulate the rigors of folding..
Yup, besides that -bigadv is memory subsystem intensive. Even with adequate memory, sometimes these WUs reveal inherent instability in the memory components where other WUs, apps or tests do not. It makes an high OC all the more difficult to achieve running -bigadv.

Back