New i7 build

Kailok

n00b
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
1
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Primarily gaming, but need options for video/graphic editing.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1500-1600ish Price not set in stone
3) Where do you live?
Utah
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Mobo, RAM, Video, PSU, HDD, Monitor, OS
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I'd like to hang on to my case if everything will fit. I'd hate to see it sit in a corner and collect dust.
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW
6) Will you be overclocking?
Reasonable amount of overclocking, as long as temps are solid.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
23.6" 1920x1080 (See below)
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
2-3 weeks. Some parts sooner depending on deals
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Crossfire/SLI option would be nice down the road
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Currently XP Pro, but will be picking up Win7 Pro 64bit


I'm currently running an Athlon 64 3200+ with 1gb RAM, a 120gb HDD from 8 years ago and a 6800 video card. I've pushed it as far as it's going to go, and it's time to rebuild :D

I've been trying to catch up on new tech the last few days and this is what I currently have planned:
$289.99 - CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366
*(I already jumped on the $60 TD deal on the Corsair CWCH50 cooler)
$209.99 - Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
$ 99.99 - HDD: WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
$159.99 - RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
$109.99 - PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
$199.99 - Monitor: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P
$ 25.99 - DVD: LITE-ON Black SATA 24X DVD Writer
$139.99 - OS: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM
$350.00 - Video: HIS H587FN1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 (w/promo code)

The thing I've struggled with the most is the video card. I've considered everything from 9800GTX SLI to my current choice of the 5870. I was sticking with a 5850 until I saw the 5870 deal. For about $50 more I get the 5870 and Modern Warfare 2, which I probably would have picked up anyway. It sounded like a good deal to me.

What I'm looking for is any comments, suggestions, or alternatives that might help me out. It has been about 4 years since I've built anything new, so I'm not completely up to date on everything these days :)
 
Are there any specific features that you need from Windows 7 pro that would justify the higher price for it over Windows 7 Home Premium?

Go with this combo deal to shave off $15:
$485 - Intel Core i7-930 CPU + Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R X58 ATX Motherboard Combo

For $20 more, I'd get this better bang for the buck PSU:
$130 - Corsair 850TX 850W PSU

Not a fan of HIS personally but if the company is all right for you, go for it.

Other than what I've mentioned above, setup looks solid to me.
 
Back
Top