New i5/i7 build due to old system dying last night

brennok

[H]ard|Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Primary PC, gaming, watching occasional movie, no movie editing, streaming HD

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1000 but not firm if I need to go up some

3) Where do you live?
Florida so no local computer stores like Microcenter

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
CPU, Ram, Mobo, PSU

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Case: HAF 932
Video Card: 8800gt since right now I am just using a 21" CRT until it dies
Viewsonic 21" CRT
Klipsch 2.1 speaker setup
DVD burner

6) Will you be overclocking?
I may eventually. Right now I just want a working system

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
21" CRT until it dies and then probably a 24+ LCD

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now. My old system died over night and still won't boot after clearing the CMOS all day. I have no idea what is wrong with it. It was a E6750 with Abit IP35 Pro and 2x2gb of DDR800 so anything that works will just go into a HTPC eventually. Right now I am using my roommates old laptop and when I can't do that, my cellphone.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Nothing that really jumps out at me since I tend to not use Crossfire or SLI since I don't need it with my monitor.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes Windows 7

Normally I research my builds so I have at least narrowed it down but being without a computer now I have extremely limited access. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had a few minutes to look and didn't see your reply before I did.

One thing that concerns me with the PSU is the reviews that mention issues with cable length for a full tower case especially since I will be using the HAF932.

Also here is what I picked out so far from Newegg.

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860 -
GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard -
Bundle price 429.98

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - 85.99

Still need to decide on PSU tonight though.

i7 860 isn't much better than i5 750 in gaming performance.

if the lenght is an issue, 8-pin EPS female cable adapters/extension are like $9 on newegg.

I bought a HAF 932 a couple of months ago. An extension cable for the 8 plug cable was included.

Thanks. I bought it on sale at Amazon when I had some credit that was about to expire so I have yet to even open it and it is packed away in the closet.

Back