• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New i5 build

dennis5452

n00b
Joined
Nov 18, 2004
Messages
59
I just put together a i5-750- 4 gigs Corsiar Dominator ram- an Asus p7p55LE motherboard. I am cooling this with the Corsair H50 water coolor. I would like to know what temps are ok with this chip. The first boot, Harware monitor in the cmos said it was 70c and was still climbing. I shut it off and posted the thread.

Thanks for any replies

Dennis
 
Try reseating the HS, it seems if one of the corners isn't down right. You should be in the 30's range
 
wow that is hot on idle and stock speed. Yea there is something wrong with the sitting of the heatsink. I'm running i5 as well with H50. On stock i'm on 30 idle and 40ish loaded. Now i'm running it at 4Ghz idle at 42-44ish and load at about 52-56c. I stress tested the cpu with prime 95 and highest i got is 72c.
 
Re-seat your HSF and apply new thermal paste. This should resolve the issue.

I just put one together on the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P with the Cooler Master V8. I'm getting slightly warm temps (~ 72c, 69c, 67c, 65c) at full 100% load. I'm running at 1.3v on the cpu, I think I'll try to drop that down a little, maybe 1.28.
 
Something is not right.. my temps are low low 30s high 20s at idle and low 60s under load except when running intel burn in (71C) on hottest core. This is at 4ghz.
 
Something is not right.. my temps are low low 30s high 20s at idle and low 60s under load except when running intel burn in (71C) on hottest core. This is at 4ghz.

What are you setting the voltages to for CPU and QPI?
 
I didnt even see a QPI voltage unless VTT is the same as QPI?

ONLY SETTINGS I TOUCHED: BIOS 1.5 MSI-GD65
20x200 = 4ghz (i5 750)
Vdroop - Low (when set to high the V-droop is a lot and meant I had to feed much more voltage for stability)
CPU V = 1.376 (Actual voltage 1.392 - 1.416, It raises under load which I am not used to) . This passed 5 Linpack Cycles, 3 Vantage runs and 8 hours of Prime 95.
CPUVTT = 1.25
DRAM V = 1.651
C1E = disabled
EIST = disabled (this also disables Turbo Boost)
C-state = Disabled
Overspeed protection = disabled
Green Power = disabeled
RAM - 8-8-8-24 1600mhz
 
I didnt even see a QPI voltage unless VTT is the same as QPI?

ONLY SETTINGS I TOUCHED: BIOS 1.5 MSI-GD65
20x200 = 4ghz (i5 750)
Vdroop - Low (when set to high the V-droop is a lot and meant I had to feed much more voltage for stability)
CPU V = 1.376 (Actual voltage 1.392 - 1.416, It raises under load which I am not used to) . This passed 5 Linpack Cycles, 3 Vantage runs and 8 hours of Prime 95.
CPUVTT = 1.25
DRAM V = 1.651
C1E = disabled
EIST = disabled (this also disables Turbo Boost)
C-state = Disabled
Overspeed protection = disabled
Green Power = disabeled
RAM - 8-8-8-24 1600mhz

Awesome, thanks! This looks similar to how my OC turned out. I'll go in to refine it tonight.
 
you might get stable at lower or higher voltage.. I use Intel burn in test V2.3 on maximum to find my lowest stable voltages and then make sure it passes an 8 hour prime95 run after that. This has worked out well so far.
 
you might get stable at lower or higher voltage.. I use Intel burn in test V2.3 on maximum to find my lowest stable voltages and then make sure it passes an 8 hour prime95 run after that. This has worked out well so far.

I was able to pass the 8hr prime95 test just fine
 
dennis5452, are you sure the pump on your H50 turned on? If the heatsink was mounted correctly but the water wasn't flowing, it'll produce symptoms similar to what you saw. Check both the mounting and that the water pump is on and working.

Also, Copyright, intel recommends a max VTT of 1.21V, you might want to turn it down.
 
I was able to pass the 8hr prime95 test just fine

So was I at first.. it was the intel burn in V2.3 I failed.. I passed the older version but setting the new 2.3 to maximum I would fail until another voltage bump.
 
dennis5452, are you sure the pump on your H50 turned on? If the heatsink was mounted correctly but the water wasn't flowing, it'll produce symptoms similar to what you saw. Check both the mounting and that the water pump is on and working.

Also, Copyright, intel recommends a max VTT of 1.21V, you might want to turn it down.

Hmm im sure they do.. but tons of ppl are pushing well over that to achieve thier oc. I will try 1.21 and see if it will stay stable. I started at 1.25V going off of all the other ppl hitting thier overclocks I have seen. Keep in mind the OC Genie built into the MSI board set it at 1.303V in bios!
 
Last edited:
thank you all for your responses. It turned out to be operater error. I had the pump cable conected to a 4 pin feed. After I reset the H50 and saw nothing really wrong, I decided to change it to a 3 pin lead and I heard the pump. I have it at 3684 right know and it is running fine.

thanks again

Dennis
 
thank you all for your responses. It turned out to be operater error. I had the pump cable conected to a 4 pin feed. After I reset the H50 and saw nothing really wrong, I decided to change it to a 3 pin lead and I heard the pump. I have it at 3684 right know and it is running fine.

thanks again

Dennis
lol, I kind of figured, glad you got it sorted out. Just curious, what temps are you getting now?
 
Back
Top