new HSF for GF4-4200?

flenser

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
324
Hello,

I finally investigated the fan noise in my computer and found the fan on my GF4-4200 is barely turning, clearly broken/defective. I need help and suggestions on how to replace the HSF. The card is an Asylum (BFG?) GF4-4200 128 meg, and it uses the short blue-orb looking HSF. The card has holes for pushpins but it looks like the HSF is glued on.

I need help finding a replacement HSF, help getting the old HSF off, and help installing the new HSF. Any sources out there? I don't need anything huge or super expensive, because the card was overclocking well past 280mhz even with the defective fan so I don't need an exotic HSF solution.

Thanks in advance for any help!
 
get the thermaltake gf4 cooler kit, or a vantec icebreq 4 PRO.
and if its epoxyed on, just stick it in the freezer for a few hours/overnight and then pop it off.
 
Thx for the suggestions. My biggest problem will probably be how to clean up the gpu after popping off the heatsink.
 
Originally posted by flenser
Thx for the suggestions. My biggest problem will probably be how to clean up the gpu after popping off the heatsink.

Rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover should work fine.
 
Also note two things.
From experience I can tell you that the fan on the heatsink of Thermaltake GF4 kit is very loud and has the veeeeeee sound. Your going to get annoyed the the second day if your used to a quiet setup.
And the memory heatsinks don't fit on non-BGA memory.
 
ur first post said that u wanted to see what was making the nosie in ur computer... does that mean u want to elminate the noise and have a quieter pc?
if u do then i would recommend getting the Zalman Heatpipe, sure its $20 or so but it is silent ;)
 
Same exact thing happened with my BFG ti4200. Right before Christmas the fan just gave up. Barely even moves. I called BFG with the lifetime warranty, they wanted 15 bucks just to ship out a new card before I sent the old one in. Never did send the RMA in. My card will hit 315 core, 560 memory no problems.
 
Thx stiffy. I think even a large conventional passive heatsink would work just fine because it's been running OC'd to 280 with almost no cooling but a fanless blue orb for months now, but I think I'll just slap a conventional HSF on the sucker. The noise I was checking into was a loud hooting sound as the fan spun up and wobbled around, followed by a clicking sound as the fan blades hit the HSF fins, then back to silent as the fan slowed to about 10 rpm. The vid card is in a nearly direct line from the 2 case fans that blow air in over my hard drives from the front of the case, so I'm sure that's what kept the card alive so long. The computer goes unstable almost immediately if I take the side panel off so it is relying on proper case airflow.

I finally have some justification for the expensive lian li aluminum case I didn't need but got anyway :) It may have saved my vid card.

Since it has been working fine overclocked, I'm running it underclocked as far as the coolbits registry hack will allow, 220mhz if I recall correctly. I'll pump it back up after I get a replacement HSF attached. I have a dremel tool so I'm sure I can get almost any type of ramsink to fit :) It'll be a pain gluing heatsinks onto 8 individual chips but hopefully it will be worth a few mhz in the end. I'd like to break 500, since my best without extra cooling was 470ish before texture corruption appeared. The 128 meg cards just don't have the quick legs that the 64 meg cards have, but I'm running a beta version of a flightsim that reports 100 meg of video ram being used so I'm glad I got the 128 meg version instead of 64.
 
Back
Top