New HP LED-backlit monitors announced.

Can you elaborate on what is inaccurate?

In fact, since it's Wikipedia, why don't you make a correction, and cite your sources? That way people won't be confused any more.

The TFT LCD Wikipedia article is fundamentally flawed, especially when it comes to the e-IPS entry. Who wrote that entry? I looked it up. It turns out that it was originally written by some guy early last year, and then was edited again without references and consultation by another guy, the edit of which contradicted the earlier edit, who has a complaint on his user page for writing unreferenced syntheses.

The article is missing important information on backlighting and gamut. It does not discuss common measurements of LCDs like contrast ratio and response times, nor is there information on common OSD options, uniformity compensation or LUT / Colour transformation. The article imparts no understanding to the reader about what different LCD modes are actually like to use.

Wikipedia has problems unrelated to this article. I have seen a proven human carcinogen not merely unassessed, but listed as safe to eat on Wikipedia. I've read the logs of where two prolific and highly talented writers forced themselves to retire after constant conflict because they are critical of the admin/ARB power structure. The writer last to leave was called a "toxic character" by Jimbo Wales who then blocked the person against Wikipedia rules. Originally one found out about an admin who, after discussing the issue on an off-wikipedia site and thus in an unaccountable manner, decided to block a person because he knew German and she thought that was evidence of suspicious anti-wikipedia attitudes.

Even so, If I do sign up to Jimboworld in order to fix this article, It would be a work of serious effort. I'd have to ask LP-LCD for a response on topics like e-IPS and p-IPS, and I would have to gather important LCD structure pictures and ask the authors for permission to add them to the article. Some useful pictures have been contributed to the russian forum IXBT, so that adds another complication If we need a unique photo for the article. These are ideas to start off with.

mind you, those prices are without taxes as stated in that press release by HP.
You're right, but that still makes them cheaper than the Dells, and most of the time MRSPs are higher than the real retail prices anyway. Only February will tell if I can keep my hopes up! :D

You're right, but that still makes them cheaper than the Dells, and most of the time MRSPs are higher than the real retail prices anyway. Only February will tell if I can keep my hopes up! :D

yes I know ;)
It might add maybe 50-60 euro to the price, tops.
Good times :D

The 24"er is on the top of my list given the specs.
Seems like a real bargain for a 24" ips panel.

My LCD is toast, this one looks like the best bet. Is there any reason to wait for this model over the LP2475w though, other than price? Will this panel be better? Worse? Any ideas? I'm in sore need of a new monitor, and if there isn't much difference I will be willing to drop the additional $100 or so just to get it sooner.

My LCD is toast, this one looks like the best bet. Is there any reason to wait for this model over the LP2475w though, other than price? Will this panel be better? Worse? Any ideas? I'm in sore need of a new monitor, and if there isn't much difference I will be willing to drop the additional $100 or so just to get it sooner.

standard gamut vs wide gamut

wide gamut is pretty useless for most people and generally just causes a lot of headaches while not adding any real benefits

Any more information on the release date for the ZR24w?
I was going to pull the trigger on the U2410 this week for $450, but I might wait if the ZR24w is going to be released soon.
Hate to wait too, as I really need to retire my aging and failing viewsonic 20" pos.

mm, i suppose i will just wait then, especially if it is cheaper. although it looks like you lose component in, and possibly S/PDIF out

Here is the official specification sheet of the HP ZR24w:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/ZR24w_data_sheet_120409.pdf

Really seems like a winner with:

-16:10 - 1920x1200 (better than 1920x1080 imo for computer work)
-Native sRGB (no more wide-gamut issues, yay!)
-S-IPS (sounds good, but it's H2-IPS; have to wait for reviews to see if it's good)

I sure hope the input lag is low and that it supports 1:1 pixel mapping too. It says in the sheet that it supports 1600x1200 resolution, but without pixel mapping that is stretched.

I agree, hurry up HP - I'm definitely very interested in the 24". No idea why it took so long to come out with an LCD with:

1920x1200
IPS
standard gamut.

that isn't $1100

I've been waffling with so many displays to take over my loved 2007WFP primary display spot for months (years?). I'm really hoping HP comes through with a good price point. I've rarely been one to pull the trigger on newly released gear, but I just might this time if the price is right.

[X]eltic;1035261890 said:
Really seems like a winner with:

-S-IPS (sounds good, but it's H2-IPS; have to wait for reviews to see if it's good)

I sure hope the input lag is low and that it supports 1:1 pixel mapping too.

Yes, as soon as I read that it's not actually S-IPS, but "H2-IPS" (W/e the heck that is), I got worried it might be another cheap-o IPS panel - the "e-IPS." The garbage that churned out the horrible backlight/color uniformity issues inherit in all e-IPS' produced (Dell's 2209WA + U2410, NEC EA231WMi, and both of the recent 23" ViewSonic + Philips LCD's).

Obviously, no one knows anything yet, and I'm afraid we'll all have to once again rely on user reviews - here on [H] - to let everyone else know how not only the new HP's hold up, but also the new NEC IPS panels as well. I'm sure TFTCentral and Prad.de will have some reviews in, sure, but they usually don't pop up 'til well after the product is out. But a lot of us techies are so hungry for new, great technology that we need info ASAP, lol!

It's funny, I've been through 3 different LCD's in the past 2 years (2 of those being lottery exchange EA231WMi's in a span of a few weeks), and I'm still "stuck" w/ my aging Dell 2005FPW. You'd think LCD manufacturer's would produce something BETTER and CHEAPER after 4-5 years. Instead, it seems LCD's are on the rapid decline. Glossy TN panels anyone? :D

/Rant

Seriously, anyone else skeptical about these new "H2-IPS" panels?

Nope. I am lot more skeptical of thinking there is some large difference between H-IPS/E-IPS/EH-IPS.

IMO they have all been essentially the same in the last two or three years. They all get screen uniformity issues, they all get screen tinting issues, they all have white glow off angle. I expect H2-IPS will be indistinguishable from the rest of the family.

It's funny, I've been through 3 different LCD's in the past 2 years (2 of those being lottery exchange EA231WMi's in a span of a few weeks), and I'm still "stuck" w/ my aging Dell 2005FPW. You'd think LCD manufacturer's would produce something BETTER and CHEAPER after 4-5 years. Instead, it seems LCD's are on the rapid decline. Glossy TN panels anyone? :D

/Rant

I'm still using a NEC 20WMGX2 I bought three years ago. I've been waiting for a

• 24"
  • IPS
  • Standard sRGB gamut (no neon colors for me thanks)
  • 16:10 (I need the vertical res, plus a 16:9 24" screen is considerably smaller than a 16:10 24")

monitor that cost less than $1000. It seems LCD displays have increasingly either been low-end consumer models, or super high end models for graphic designers. I find it hard to believe there isn't a decent market somewhere in the middle of the two for professional users or people who just prefer higher quality displays.

But yeah, we are used to seeing computer equipment improve drastically year-over-year, so it has been strange watching LCDs get crappier and crappier the past few years.

Nope. I am lot more skeptical of thinking there is some large difference between H-IPS/E-IPS/EH-IPS.

IMO they have all been essentially the same in the last two or three years. They all get screen uniformity issues, they all get screen tinting issues, they all have white glow off angle. I expect H2-IPS will be indistinguishable from the rest of the family.

The big difference is the lack of polarizing filters (typically) in E-IPS but not always in H-IPS. This makes the off-angle glow worse, and reduces contrast stability off-angle (which also affects color perception.) Now there have been budget H-IPS displays without the polarizing filters, so it could all be the same, but the sheet actually says S-IPS (H2-IPS) so I'm hoping the inclusion of the S-IPS term means that it will have the filters.

I hope it wont happen like it happened for LG 24'' RGB IPS 2420P model or something, which they never manufactured.

Well, they'll have to release something to replace their announced EOL LP1965, LP2065 and LP2275w or they are going to have a void for professional monitors with standard gamut.

Judging from HP's track record lately (with the DM1 and DM3, IQ300 and IQ600), it seems they cannot get anything out on time, except new printers. My bet: they'll paper launch the screens in about 2 weeks and they will be available in retail mid March at the earliest. :( Still hope I'm wrong though! :D

maybe they are trying to increase supply before its released.

or they are waiting to the release date of the new NEC models, I think they will be in competition with each other. Only thing the NEC seems to have going is the LUT, but is it really worth the extra $$ over the zr24w

Prices started to appear on different Dutch websites, prices around 400 euros. Nobody has stock yet, but at least there are references to it with a delivery time of about 2 weeks (to be verified of course)

Back