• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New home file server

TType85

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
1,577
I am in the process of setting up a new fileserver for home use.

Right now the current hardware is:

Q6600
4GB ram
300GB OS drive (IDE)
4 2TB Samsung F4 drives.

I put OpenIndiana/Napp-it on it and it seems to run decent. I have a few questions though.

I seem to be getting slower speeds over the gigabit network as I have been playing around with it. I was getting 80-90MB/s when I first set it up; now it is more like 55-65MB/s.

Could that be the 4K drive alignment?

Running raidz do I need to leave that 10% reserve enabled?

Would it be more optimal to step up to 5 drives instead?

I probably will go with a i3 sandybridge setup if I need to go to 5 drives. It should be a bit lower power consumption which never hurts.
 
Been doing more research.

I will go to 5 drives.

Even with the 4 drives shouldn't I be able to saturate a gigabit connection?
 
Back
Top