New helping putting Windows back on after loading Linux

Eiolon

Gawd
I had to wipe Windows XP off my PC and put on CentOS 5 for a school project.

Now that I am done I wish to put Windows XP on. I insert the Windows XP disc and boot from it like normal. It gets to the "Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration" screen and then the screen just goes black.

The computer doesn't restart or anything, it just stays black until I reboot. Is there something special I need to do to get Windows back on?

Nope... you can boot from the cd and thats it, instead of blowing your XP install away why didnt you just dual boot or use a virtual machine??

Assuming you have no important data, use a linux live cd to blast all partitions off your hard drive and then try reinstalling.

Nvm, I got it going. I just put it in another machine and deleted the Linux partitions.

I couldn't do any of the suggestions below but I'll keep them in mind if I have to do it again (I don't think I'll ever go back to Linux though).

In the future, just use something like PartedMagic to clear the drive and start over. There's no need to go through all the trouble of moving the drive, just to clear it.

Nvm, I got it going. I just put it in another machine and deleted the Linux partitions.

I couldn't do any of the suggestions below but I'll keep them in mind if I have to do it again (I don't think I'll ever go back to Linux though).

Can I ask why you tried linux using an enterprise grade linux distro that is just red hat enterprise rebadged?? This is a distro geared towards IT Professionals and experienced Linux users, for workstations and servers. :\

I am taking a class on Linux Administration and the distro that is used is CentOS 5 which is why I used it over another distro.

fair enough, but don't judge linux-destop based upon a distro that isn't geared for desktop use at all

if its not for you thats fair enough (what exactly wasn't for you?)

Well, it really boils down to me being too lazy to learn the command line and shell scripting (which I hear is essential to know to get the most out of Linux). I don't see why I should have to learn commands or write shell scripts to accomplish the same thing I can do in Windows by pointing and clicking.

But I am not trying to bash Linux, it's just not for me. I am sure it's very efficient and probably infinite times better than Windows... for those who are willing to learn the in's and out's of it at least.

Well, it really boils down to me being too lazy to learn the command line and shell scripting (which I hear is essential to know to get the most out of Linux). I don't see why I should have to learn commands or write shell scripts to accomplish the same thing I can do in Windows by pointing and clicking.

But I am not trying to bash Linux, it's just not for me. I am sure it's very efficient and probably infinite times better than Windows... for those who are willing to learn the in's and out's of it at least.

accessing the command-prompt isn't really needed tbf, if you get issues you will here someone say "paste this in the terminal" simply because linux commands are very verbose and it is easier to diagnose problems from the terminal

but fair enough linux isn't for, just like windows isn't for all or OSX isn't for all, at least there is choice

Back