• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Headset options

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
7,286
I currently have the Sennheiser PC350 headset. I am an avid PC gamer and competitive FPS player. I have been through 20 dollar logitech units and before i got the senns i have a set of Plantronics 60 dollar set. The PC350 was an upgrade. They are great in many ways. I love the fit, the feel and the comfort. The performance was excellent. The only out of box flaws were they never seemed to get to loud. Now they are 3-4 years old. The volume control when up all the way if touched will give me some static. This isnt to bad of a deal though. The paper thin material over the headphone pads is torn on one side and the mic has stopped working completely.

Sennheiser wants 85 plus shipping to fix the headset. I originally bought this headset for like 99 bucks new. I can get a new set for a little more than their repair costs.

I have really grown into this headset. The previous ones were pretty terrible after using the PC350 for this long. I have learned and trained myself to hear sounds and where sounds are coming from in games with these things.

I want to know what my options are for around this price range (Up to $140) I loved the fact that the PC350 had a build in mic that was amazing but if i can get a better set of cans and clip a Zalman on it then im all for it. Im not a huge audiophile. I just need the performance and your expertise with picking out something i wont regret.
 
Built in volume controls cause a lot of problems. They are usually the cheapest part and they degrade the sound quality for sure.

If you want similar sound + a clip on mic, look to the Senn 555 or 595. Audiotechnica is your other option with the AD700, AD900 which are open or the A700 or A900 which are closed. All will work fine out of your soundcard.
 
i think my preference is closed deck. With the PC350 i noticed the loudness wasnt the best and have read you have to amp them. Are the senns you suggested the same way? Ive heard Audio Technicas dont need to be amped.
 
I have an ATH-AD700 and I love it. The Zalman $5 clip on mic works amazingly well. It is ridiculously sensitive so you'll have to tweak the volume levels. Using the Windows 7 mic test in the control panel it easily picks up key presses and mouse clicks.

I play L4D2 and it works perfectly with voice activated voice chat (the style where the mic turns on when you talk). You can probably get set up for less than a $100.
 
i think my preference is closed deck. With the PC350 i noticed the loudness wasnt the best and have read you have to amp them. Are the senns you suggested the same way? Ive heard Audio Technicas dont need to be amped.

You would probably be happiest with the AD700. The 555 and 595 do not need an amp but the 595 benefits from one. The AD700 really work just as well out of a sound card as an amp.
 
Back
Top