• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New headphones.

pfunkman

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
3,204
Ok i have loved my HD485s for a year now and am interested in upgrading. I have been looking at a few in particular for a few days and am wanting some opinions.

The ones im looking at the HD595's, AKG K271's and the grado SR125's i am wondering what you guys think of these. i will be buying one of them on the 4th.

Any other suggestions welcome i have a budget of about $150.

Also is there anywhere to get a quality amp for ~$50 or should i get the phones and save for nicer?
 
elyrly said:
get the 595 the best headphones i have ever owned

get the 595..if u get the 50ohm ones u dont really need an amp but an amp will make them better obviously..
 
595s and hit Mr.X up for an amp about 220.

Audio Technica A900 and no amp 200

Audio Technica A700 Airs 120 no amp
 
i love my 485's, id get the dt770's, at 900's, or the 595's, unfortunatly ill have to live with my 485's and x-fi for a bit as i need vista and a g80 or r600 :(, i feel bad as people at my school think there shelf stereo system or $10 cans with their ipod sound good :), guess theyl never appreciate some kick ass cans :p ....
 
pfunkman said:
<snip>
The ones im looking at the HD595's, AKG K271's and the grado SR125's i am wondering what you guys think of these. i will be buying one of them on the 4th.
<snip>


HD595's = Good all-arounders. :)
AKG K271's = Very nice closed cans that need an amp to reach their full potential.
Grado SR125's = My pick for the worst headphones evar!
 
595's are pretty nice, i got mine a few weeks ago and i'm burning them in right now.

but it does make me wonder how dt770's and akg's sound...
 
DT770s are great for anything music-wise with a lot of "punch" - electronic music, rock, etc. Awesome for gaming and movies. Will need an amp to bring out the best, but work great without an amp as well. I have a set and love them.

I'd only consider Grados if I were doing 100% music, and rock music at that. They are superior rock cans, but anything in the prestige line won't be good for much else probably.

Whoever said the HD580 + amp i would skip that suggestion. Sennheiser has a nice nuetral sound, but I doubt that would be much fun outside of listening to classical music.
 
cfull said:
Whoever said the HD580 + amp i would skip that suggestion. Sennheiser has a nice nuetral sound, but I doubt that would be much fun outside of listening to classical music.


I don't have to doubt it because I know for a fact that the HD580s do very well with other types of music . ;)
 
Mister X said:
I don't have to doubt it because I know for a fact that the HD580s do very well with other types of music . ;)

I concur with Mister X. The HD580 is actually pretty good with other types of music on a decent amp. Also it is a rather good gaming can (if you are home, and away from other noises since its open) when running on an X-fi. BF2 for example.
 
Treyshadow said:
I concur with Mister X. The HD580 is actually pretty good with other types of music on a decent amp. Also it is a rather good gaming can (if you are home, and away from other noises since its open) when running on an X-fi. BF2 for example.

My question would be then would the hd580 really be better amazone currently has th 580 @ $149 and the 595 @ $168
 
coolxboxgamer said:
get the 595's or the dt770's

Hmm Looks like its down to those 2 then. Got a couple days to think on it, I wish there was somewhere local i could test them
:(
 
Without an amp it is even easier.
Because the DT770s are pretty miserable when connected directly to a sound card.
Not like they are all of that when amped either so....
 
Mister X said:
Without an amp it is even easier.
Because the DT770s are pretty miserable when connected directly to a sound card.
Not like they are all of that when amped either so....

Sounds like the 595s then Thanks for the advice guys.
 
Mister X said:
Without an amp it is even easier.
Because the DT770s are pretty miserable when connected directly to a sound card.
Not like they are all of that when amped either so....


Uh, no. The DT770s sound pretty good connected directly to a sound card. And sound even better amped. You must just not care for the bass of these cans. Anyone who appreciates bass, not the huge BOOM BOOM kind of bass but nice, punchy bass will appreciate the dt770s. Not as much details in the mids, but these are incredibly fun headphones and are well worth the price.

You can demo a pair at a Guitar Center if you have one near you. Just dont buy them there.

I considered 595s, they are supposed to have a warm sound and sound very "front row" which is unlike the usual sennheiser sound...but I also hear they dont have as much oomph for rock as some would like. But they are good all-arounders. You can get 595s for around 160 or 170 from a variety of places online.
 
try em both out, check guitar centers, computer centers, and maybe if u goto a lan or something someone might have a pair....
 
cfull said:
Uh, no. The DT770s sound pretty good connected directly to a sound card. And sound even better amped.
I have owned both the 80 ohm and 250 ohm versions of these cans and as such you have very little chance of convincing me of that. ;)

cfull said:
You must just not care for the bass of these cans.
Not at all, in fact if the bass was the only deciding factor I would prolly still have these cans. :)
 
Mister X said:
I have owned both the 80 ohm and 250 ohm versions of these cans and as such you have very little chance of convincing me of that. ;)


Not at all, in fact if the bass was the only deciding factor I would prolly still have these cans. :)



try the 32-ohm version? ;)
 
Here's another vote for the Beyer DT770pro 80ohm version. It's quite a fun headphone, with good build design and is quite comfortable.

The beyer DT990 2005 edition can be had for ~200$us, so that might be another option to consider (I would in a heart beat).

I have a famous saying, that if you are new to high end audio, any of these will put a smile on your face. It's only once you start trying different ones that you start to develop a personal preference.

I have my personal preference. Other's such as MisterX have their own personal preference (which differs from mine). So..... we can't all be right. It turns out each is right for their own self. The same will be true for you pfunkman. So, if you can.... try and listen to these headphones before buying them.

As for the 50$ amp idea........ pass on that. My advice, is to get some nice headphones that you are throughly happy with. Then, if you feel the need to throw down some serious $$$, try your headphones out of an amp. That way you can determin if the amp is worth the price. It's called demo'ing amps I guess you could say.
Then you can work on upgrading your whole audio chain.

~Enjoy

^_^
 
towert7 said:
Here's another vote for the Beyer DT770pro 80ohm version. It's quite a fun headphone, with good build design and is quite comfortable.

The beyer DT990 2005 edition can be had for ~200$us, so that might be another option to consider (I would in a heart beat).

I have a famous saying, that if you are new to high end audio, any of these will put a smile on your face. It's only once you start trying different ones that you start to develop a personal preference.

I have my personal preference. Other's such as MisterX have their own personal preference (which differs from mine). So..... we can't all be right. It turns out each is right for their own self. The same will be true for you pfunkman. So, if you can.... try and listen to these headphones before buying them.

As for the 50$ amp idea........ pass on that. My advice, is to get some nice headphones that you are throughly happy with. Then, if you feel the need to throw down some serious $$$, try your headphones out of an amp. That way you can determin if the amp is worth the price. It's called demo'ing amps I guess you could say.
Then you can work on upgrading your whole audio chain.

~Enjoy

^_^



great advise...
 
pfunkman said:
I agree. i may just have enough for the DT990s amazon has them for $229 + shipping anyone know of a cheaper place?
Looks like bhphoto raised their prices. So that amazon price is good now.

Edit: I just looked at the amazon website. Make sure you double check with amazon that they are in fact the 2005 edition and not the pre 2005 edition (There is a difference).
 
In case anyones interested i held off for a while and tried to shop around and demo ones i liked(Only like 2 places in town that has nice headphones). Finally i went to the guitar shop with my bro and i saw a pair of DT770 Pro 80 Ohms and asked to listen to them. Even not burned in they sounded better than my HD485's! So finally i got them and am very happy!

I paid $199 before taxes and they where (Still are) running a sale where you get a CME matrix Y Amp with them FREE Info found here: http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=41214&Category=Monitoring

Now i know that this amp is not audiophile quality but i can say it is better than just hooking them up to my X-Fi and will get me by until i can afford to get better.

I would definitely suggest to anyone picking up this deal it can be found at Guitar center (Pretty big chain store) and is supposed to last through the month.
 
I just picked up a used pair of HD555 and i couldnt be happier. They just sound great for games and movies. Music is ok, alittle light in the bass area...but im not a bass animal.

These go about 120$ new...give or take...check out head-fi forums for more info.
 
Highlife said:
I just picked up a used pair of HD555 and i couldnt be happier.
Give it time to set in, and then you will be wanting better. ^_^
I guarantee it.
 
towert7 said:
Give it time to set in, and then you will be wanting better. ^_^
I guarantee it.

I couldnt agree more i tried a pair out and to be honest i thought my 485's sounded better :( But thats just my ears, Im sure others are different.
 
Im quite happy with them now, going to get a small amp and see what they can do.

Maybe down the road ill get something better....but right now these sound great. They also are pretty dam comfortable. Ive had em on for about 3 hours today and hardly noticed they were there. I wanted something that i can use to watch movies on a HT and games/music on my PC. I know its not the best in any of these areas, but rather does the job well in all. They do sound alittle warm and bass is just a tad light. I know ill end up getting better in a few months and with christmas coming up...might ask Santa for a pair of SR80s...just cause i really want to check out some grados.

I know there are tons of mid priced phones that sound better then my HD555, but the comfort is just unmatched to anything i have tried. There is no sweaty ear, no pressure pushing in your ear. I fell asleep with them on in my chair and woke up not even knowing i had them on.

Id sacrifice alittle sound for comfort any day of the week and twice on sunday.

EDIT, just got a Go-Vibe for my pocket amp...will post up my thoughts in a few days.
 
Highlife, just so you know, I poke fun at people when they say they are content, or don't plan to upgrade (because most do anyways such as yourself with a new amp). ^_^

Still, you are right! Comfort is a very nice thing. That's what sets the sennheisers and beyerdynamics apart from the rest; the lovely velour and good design! They just feel great!

If you like comfort, I'de recommend you avoid the Grado's.
Maybe keep going up the Sennheiser Line or take a look at some of the beyers.

Welcome to the world of high end audio!
 
ohh dont you worry...i got the head-fi bug going through my veins. Im planning on going to the head fi meet they are having and cant wait to check out the very expensive rigs. I will probaly upgrade in the future...of course you cant stop the bug.
 
Since when does a pair of $110 headphone, a $60 amp and a Audigy2 ZS = high end audio? :confused:
 
spaceman said:
595s and hit Mr.X up for an amp about 220.

Audio Technica A900 and no amp 200

Audio Technica A700 Airs 120 no amp
Audiocubes just dropped prices, A500s are now $89, A900s are now $169+$12 shipping to US
 
Mister X said:
Since when does a pair of $110 headphone, a $60 amp and a Audigy2 ZS = high end audio? :confused:

When you look at it relative to frebie earbuds and an AC'97 codec, I suppose :p
 
Mister X said:
Since when does a pair of $110 headphone, a $60 amp and a Audigy2 ZS = high end audio? :confused:

Thanks to Mister X for pissing on a person's parade...wtg MisterX...While you at it, why not tell us we all poor and we smell ......=) JK


Granted a 100$ pair of headphones do not make you a audiophile....however, there are alot of good choices for that price. Not going to have SQ like a pair of AKG1000s, but they going to be alot better then any 30-40$ headphones. There is always exceptions, like the Koss KSC-75's. Great SQ, great bass response, mids alittle muddy, but nothing that cant be fix with a EQ adjustment. Great phones for less then 20$. I would take these over those cheesy headsets, hell ill take it over alot of mid priced Sennheisers (HD437-457). Sennhesiers are great, dont get me wrong...but KSC sound sooo much cleaner then these its amazing these are priced soo low. After looking on Head-fi, i decided to do alittle modding to them. I removed the inside grill and drill the holes out to a bigger size. I didnt like the idea of cutting in my earpad (alittle quarter size hole in the middle). What i did was use another peice of foam to insert into the stock, then cut a hole in that to give a full pad that covers the inside of your ear. Also gives alittle distance from your ear, not screaming right inside your ear. Really makes them sound nice.

Now its not a equippment that really makes you a audiophile, its more the person and how you better your listen experience. Some people spend 100$ on a amp, some spend 30$ and build one. Does spending more money make you any more a phile then building? I dont think so, cause i would love to build my own amp one day. I dont have the knowledge now, but will some research on the net im sure i will be able to in a few months.

The point, money doesnt make you a audiophile =)
 
Back
Top