• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

new headphones/headset recommendations

sgogeta4

n00b
Joined
Mar 4, 2007
Messages
44
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to headphones since I mostly used speakers and never really used headphones more than the free pair of headphones that came with my Sony discman (many years ago). I find I need to use headphones more often due to my erratic hours that I'm up (I'm a medical student). I've been reading up a bit via Google, but I would like to direct my query to those who have actual experience.

Budget wise, I'm not ready to spend that much ($1-99 USD), though I'd rather get a $50 set that's fairly good than $100 that is only a bit better. Not sure if I'll be able to try the pair out (since where I am now has no stores like Best Buy lol), hence why I hope I can get enough info online. I would prefer to order online to a US address (but if the store can ship to Canada, even better - though I've read that Grado is much more expensive in Canada).

I'll be using it mostly to listen to music and watch movies (on my computer) and I want something comfortable on the ears for a few hours (that isn't too bothersome on my glasses or my ears - should I not wear headphones for that long?). A close second to comfort is sound quality, though there are two things that minimize the importance of this - my budget and the fact that I'm listening to music through my laptop's integrated sound card (Realtek HD, if that makes any difference). I also hope to use it to listen to music from my Sony W810i cell phone.

I listen to many types of music such from rock, alternative, classical, punk, pop, techno, nu metal, to stuff that I don't even know what to call. I have mostly English music such as (looking at my last played songs) Green Day, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Robert Miles, and Rob Dougan and music in Chinese and Japanese. Dunno if my music selection helps any.

I am having trouble deciding what type/style of headphones to pick and was wondering which type people like more, in the ear, on the ear, or around the ear - or is this purely subjective? The circumaurals seem a bit big for my tastes and for listening on the go, so I'm leaning towards IEM or supraaurals. Don't really need noise cancelling as will probably bring me above budget. Also, not a fan of the cheap foam covered speakers or thin/weak headbands (but again if budget is the issue, then I'll stick with it). Do wireless/bluetooth headsets/headphones have markedly inferior quality to headphones at this price point (<$99)? Are there any with above average audio quality?

I hope I haven't been too picky, else I'll have to revise my requirements. Bottom line, what should I get for my needs and why do you recommend it? From searching here and online, I've seen recommendations for:

Grado SR-60i - best audio quality at this budget but are they comfortable, portable and does the sound bleed into the surrounding?
Koss KSC-75
Meelectronics AI-M9
Sennheiser PX 100
Sennheiser HD 212 Pro

Has anyone used these bluetooth sets? The first two just have a bluetooth clip, so I can always get my own headphones.
Sony HBH-DS205 ($65)
DS980 ($90)
IS800 ($100)

Sorry for the long message, thanks for any input! :)
 
Last edited:
the Grado's will bleed like nothing you can imagine, comfort is arguable (I didn't like my SR-60's, but I did like my SR-225's)

within your budget, if you want something decent, that doesn't bleed sound, and is somewhat comfy, look at some of Denon's closed headphones like the 501
 
Koss KSC-75 are the least comfortable and worst fitting headphones around, which is probably why they're so cheap. They sound really really good though.

Sennheiser PX 100s are very comfortable, lightweight, and sound pretty good. I'd wait until the PX 100-IIs come out though, which should be very soon since Sennheiser USA said they would be available at the end of Sept.
 
Do you know if there is a refresh of the PX200? How is the quality compared to the PX100 since it is closed?
 
Do you know if there is a refresh of the PX200? How is the quality compared to the PX100 since it is closed?

Yep, there is also a refresh scheduled for the PX 200s, i.e. the PX 200-IIs. From when I was researching headphones before I purchased the PX 100s, I read that the 200s has much more emphasis on bass, albeit it muddier. Also, the ear pads aren't the most comfortable.

Things may change for both of those attributes in the refreshed version.
 
I have a pair of SR60s, paid 75$. I carry them everywhere I go, sleep with them on often. The sound quality is incredible, as is the comfort. I can wear them for about 2 hours without having to "adjust", In the summer they get a bit warm though. The sound does "bleed" out a fair amount but I listen to them at a reasonable volume in a library daily and have had no complaints.


I actually received a complement on them earlier today.
 
Hey guys I've revised my initial post to reflect all the changes thus far. To keep it much shorter and simpler:

Budget: max $70 (new headphones)
Ordering to: Canada (preferably), if cheaper then to USA
Uses: movies on notebook (Realtek integrated audio), music on notebook and phone (Sony W810i)
Music type: many types such from rock, alternative, classical, punk, pop, techno, nu metal, to stuff that I don't even know what to call. I have mostly English music such as (looking at my last played songs) Green Day, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Robert Miles, and Rob Dougan and music in Chinese and Japanese. Not sure if that really helps. ^^
What I'm looking for:
1. Comfortable headphones (and/or headset if quality is similar and within budget) - I also wear glasses
2. Sound quality (and/or mic quality)
Preferences: not big/heavy, doesn't leak excessively to surroundings (not open, semi-open might be ok though), not a fan of cheap foam covered speakers

I've eliminated most of the circumaurals and supraaurals since I find them too big (ie. Sennheiser HD555), headphones w/ excessive bleed (ie. Grado SR-60i), uncomfortable (ie. Koss KSC-75), used (ie. Apple one) and above budget headphones.

I've narrowed it down to:
$29 Sennheiser PX100 (waiting for 2nd revision)
$39 Sennheiser PX200 (closed version of PX100 but tradeoff of some sound quality for some noise isolation)
$33 Sennheiser HD212 Pro
$42 Denon AH-D501K
$50 AKG K81DJ - current top choice
$49 Yuin G2A

and for IEMs:
$36 Meelectronics AI-M6 vs. $18 AI-M9
$40 Maximo IM-590

The prices are from a quick search of Google shopping and I didn't really check them, so if they're suspiciously low, let me know. Any suggestions out of these? Or a reason to consider one that I dropped?

Other questions:

Does anyone have experience w/ wireless headphones (bluetooth)? Do wireless/bluetooth headsets/headphones have markedly inferior quality to headphones at <$100? I've looked at these models specifically so far: Sony HBH-DS205 ($65), DS980 ($90), or IS800 ($100)? The first two just have a bluetooth clip, so I can always get my own headphones if the sound quality sucks.
 
Last edited:
I don't really have time to write a proper reply right now, but if you head on over to head-fi.org and seach around their forums you'll probably come up with a couple good answers; people come in asking questions like yours all the time.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f3/

Off the top of my head, it sounds like you would prefer IEMs. You have to be even more careful when buying low budget iems/buds as there are a lot of terrible ones. A couple you might look into are the NuForce NE-7M and NE-8 which should both be under $70 if I remember right, with the NE-7s being cheaper than the 8's.

The K81DJs you already have picked out for the Supraaural category will also serve you well; I just personally don't prefer on-the-ear style headphones for extended listening, I like the comfort of circumaurals and iems, both of which also isolate sound a lot better.

You can find out more information on all your headphone choices by searching over @ head-fi. ;)

good luck!
 
Thanks for the suggestion, Kett! Joined head-fi and hopefully will see more good opinions.
 
I'm loving my Sennheiser HD 212 Pro + Creative Audigy + kX Audio driver combo to death concidering the cost. I'm so satisfied with them so bought a backup set of HD 212 Pro and also got a Audigy 2 ZS as backup in case this Audigy breaks (for me Audigy card + kX drivers beats a X-Fi + creative's drivers). I've also tried the famous BeyerDynamic DT-770 Pro/80 ohms which costs like $150 but I returned them because I was more satisfied with the Sennheiser's. TBH the Beyers prolly required an amp to sound great but without amp the Sennheiser's won for me at least. They have quite a bit emphasis on bass output (basicly the most bassy headphones I've ever heard and can match subwoofer bass output in amount bass and depth if you tweak equalizers) which you'll read about anywhere but for the price the highs and mids are very good too. They are superlight, 160grams and I can wear them for the whole day without a problem, at first they are a bit tight on your head or ears but it'll change as you use them. I listen to trance mostly why I like the deep bass output and it's also a plus in games when playing FPS games so weapons won't feel like toyguns. They aren't optimal for rock songs but sounds superb for pop, trance,techno etc. They are closed type and will shut off noises around you suprisingly well, could prolly be used as ear protection at facilities succeeding 80dB+ noise levels, at least I've read about people who said it works.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top